Author Topic: Our Treasonous Media Is a Clear and Present Danger  (Read 13918 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Our Treasonous Media Is a Clear and Present Danger
« Reply #250 on: June 15, 2017, 04:11:41 pm »
I'd add one more: "Republicans/Conservatives are Racists" That's been all over the media, because Obama was president, and disagreeing with him just had to be because you were a racist. It was the first line of defense for the administration.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #251 on: June 15, 2017, 05:45:35 pm »
I was just reading an article over at Red State which reminded of how the New York Times shamelessly tried to blame Sarah Palin for the Giffords shooting.

"The NY Times editorial board shamelessly tried to connect Sarah Palin to Jared Loughner’s shooting rampage where he killed six people and injured 13 including Rep. Gabby Giffords"

They still haven't apologized.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #252 on: June 15, 2017, 08:13:15 pm »
Anyone who grew up in an ethnically diverse area should have noticed that the description of perpetrators often went right down to the shoes they wore, but conveniently left out the race, at least often enough that the absence of the inclusion of a racial demographic indicator was in and of itself an indicator that the perpetrator was black.
The whole "Amish" thing at TOS was started in response to the absence of such characteristics in descriptions of perpetrators, even if the suspect was still at large. 
Then, when names were left out, often those names were Arabic sounding (at the least).

If a politician was being gigged over something--especially a heinous criminal act, if they were a Republican, it was in the first line of the story, if not the headline. If a Democrat, that affiliation was not to be found or buried near the end, and then only for stories that could not themselves be buried.

What may have started as denial on the part of individual writers, however, has become an endemic trait of the industry. More can often be correctly deduced from a story by what is NOT said, which dogs didn't bark, and what is actively downplayed. If something happens in your town and the FBI pops in within the hour and says it isn't an act of terrorism, you can just about bet your sweet bippie terrorism is suspected.

That level of deception and bias is so commonplace in the Liberal Media, that everyone thought FOX was right-wing for being (more accurately) "fair and balanced". They were, in fact, middle of the road, for the most part.  They even had a liberal or two giving opinions (Williams, Bolling, et al).

Were the problem comes in, though is where people don't notice such things, and many don't, either because they conform to their own bias, they aren't thinking about what is actually being said, or they are incapable of critical thought. It is equally risky to jump to conclusions based on counter bias learned from innumerable instances of the media downplaying or ignoring salient facts.

Perhaps the gold standard was "It's just about sex." accompanied by winks on national network news, referring to the (then) POTUS's perjury and obstruction of justice, not to mention using an intern for personal gratification; behaviour which would have had any CEO on the planet summarily sacked by the close of the next workday, but charges the Left would gladly have tossed Richard Nixon out for, well the first two, anyway. There was no indication of intern abuse in the Nixon White House, nor infidelity, nor quibbling over the meaning of "is". Ironically, an overzealous Hillary Rodham Clinton was pursuing Nixon's ouster on nearly equal charges when she lost that job. Not even Fox would touch that.
Instead the press lauded her for standing by her man, and taking one for the 'team' even though she wasn't the one taking one, and ever covered her tracks after that, though they'd buried the FBI files story, some of the Rose Law Firm goodies, Whitewater, and cattle trading long before.

Had Clinton faced a press with the vigor for heads on pikes they displayed during Watergate, whoever ran as a Republican for POTUS would have faced a different challenger, possibly following a different Democrat (because that one got a pass in even more ways than HRC and Bubba).

Yes, the bias is important, more so than ever. But it has ever been more important to be kingmaker than king, and the press has appointed itself the role.

This is the sort of stuff I mean when I say the media does more damage by censoring the news than they do with their fake news stories.   

They are like prosecutors who have too much discretion.   They can let people go if they want to,  and they can hammer other people to death if they want to.   

Such is it with the media system where they use every opportunity to focus their powers on damaging Republicans while letting Democrats get away with all sorts of egregious crimes,   and they can deliberately censor and spike stories that make Democrats look corrupt or stupid.   

We need a system where there is no favoritism.   We need a system where the truth gets brought forth regardless of who it hurts politically.   

Our Democratic Republic was not meant to operate with one side controlling freedom of speech and the other effectively censored. 

This is an abuse of power,  and it needs to stop. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #253 on: June 15, 2017, 08:28:53 pm »

This is the sort of stuff I mean when I say the media does more damage by censoring the news .../

How many cable news stationed aired this .... so people could understand the scope of the depravity?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vSmc9ILFvI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vSmc9ILFvI

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #254 on: June 15, 2017, 08:32:18 pm »
We need to break up the media companies.    Because of the importance of media in shaping public opinion,  television stations and newspapers should not be owned by Multinational Conglomerates.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #255 on: June 15, 2017, 09:34:47 pm »
We need to break up the media companies.    Because of the importance of media in shaping public opinion,  television stations and newspapers should not be owned by Multinational Conglomerates.

I'm beginning to think they shouldn't be owned by anyone.   I'm thinking that the "Fourth Estate of Government"  needs to stand for election in the same manner as the Legislative and Executive Branch.   At least that way we could vote out bastards that keep favoring one political party. 

I also think we ought to be able to vote out Federal Judges.   

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #256 on: June 19, 2017, 02:42:04 pm »
@DiogenesLamp
I doubt todays voters are significantly different then the voters in 1780.   Even then most people cared more about themselves then politics.    Whats changes is the technology of delivering the 15 seconds of information they base their decisions on & the ability to coordinate the messaging.

And all of that technology which delivers the message is in the hands of the Partisan Democrat activists who want to promulgate their world view. 

It is one party control of the system. 
— Lord Melbourne —