Author Topic: 50 years after Loving, 1 in 6 new couples are racially mixed  (Read 1742 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
50 years after Loving, 1 in 6 new couples are racially mixed

By jesse j. holland, associated press

WASHINGTON — Jun 11, 2017, 7:23 PM ET

PHOTO: Mildred Loving and her husband Richard P Loving are shown in this Jan. 26, 2017 file photo. AP Photo
Mildred Loving and her husband Richard P Loving are shown in this Jan. 26, 2017 file photo.

Email

Fifty years after Mildred and Richard Loving's landmark legal challenge shattered the laws against interracial marriage in the U.S., some couples of different races still talk of facing discrimination, disapproval and sometimes outright hostility from their fellow Americans.

Although the racist laws against mixed marriages are gone, several interracial couples said in interviews they still get nasty looks, insults and sometimes even violence when people find out about their relationships.

"I have not yet counseled an interracial wedding where someone didn't have a problem on the bride's or the groom's side," said the Rev. Kimberly D. Lucas of St. Margaret's Episcopal Church in Washington, D.C.

Read more at: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/interracial-couples-face-strife-50-years-loving-47966782

Offline Night Hides Not

Re: 50 years after Loving, 1 in 6 new couples are racially mixed
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 06:11:58 pm »
About the only thing I've noticed is the explosive growth of black guys marrying fat white women. Thanks guys! 
Heads up to our friendly mod: @Machiavelli

My mother wasn't pleased when I told her about my latest girlfriend, a lovely Hispanic woman I met at Fort Bliss (El Paso, TX). I met her when she came to work in the directorate I was working at.

The chill in her voice was apparent, and I responded with, "Mom, this is El Paso...there aren't many blue-eyed blonds here."

Hard to believe, but this was 1982. Just like Jeb did for George H.W. Bush, we presented her with three "little brown ones."
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 06:25:11 pm »
If you take out the Kardashian sisters, the numbers are much lower.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 06:28:17 pm »
About the only thing I've noticed is the explosive growth of black guys marrying fat white women. Thanks guys! 
Heads up to our friendly mod: @Machiavelli

My mother wasn't pleased when I told her about my latest girlfriend, a lovely Hispanic woman I met at Fort Bliss (El Paso, TX). I met her when she came to work in the directorate I was working at.

The chill in her voice was apparent, and I responded with, "Mom, this is El Paso...there aren't many blue-eyed blonds here."

Hard to believe, but this was 1982. Just like Jeb did for George H.W. Bush, we presented her with three "little brown ones."

My first true love was hispanic. (I believe the correct term would be Mestizo meaning mixed Spanish and native but "hispanic" serves the purpose) I work with a hispanic woman and her mixed race 20 something daughter.

These days its getting hard to find a family that doesn't have mixed race children. I think its a good thing.

One of my niece's kids after I taught her a new face to make.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 06:30:37 pm »

I could believe that.  I married a Yankee. :pondering:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 06:38:25 pm »
Although the racist laws against mixed marriages are gone, several interracial couples said in interviews they still get nasty looks, insults and sometimes even violence when people find out about their relationships.

I got a dollar that says most of the anger comes from the minority side of the equation. Some of the most vocal people on this topic I have chatted with are blacks. They also have a solid hatred for Jews and Caribbean blacks too. Go figure.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 06:40:52 pm »
DNA Haplogroups reveal that many in the UK/Ireland share the same group, as many in Spain & France

Presumably migration took place from south to north by sea or land, or both when ice receded

This matches one Irish origin legend from Spain, too (no, not the one for the Spanish Armada going aground)

R1b note the darkest shade=Spain, France, Ireland, Wales, Scotland etc. My point is there is less difference between "Hispanic" and "Anglo" as some called it in my day.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 06:43:43 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline skeeter

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 06:42:23 pm »

I got a dollar that says most of the anger comes from the minority side of the equation. Some of the most vocal people on this topic I have chatted with are blacks.

I've heard the same. And for nearly all of the complaints I hear I have comparable experiences. I just write them off for reasons other than race.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 06:45:24 pm »
In my long experience, I have noted some blacks and Hispanics that get resentment, over "whites" taking their good looking girls.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 07:04:47 pm »
I really enjoyed the movie when it came out a few months ago.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Applewood

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 07:06:25 pm »
A white co-worker in one of my past jobs was married to a black man.  Jerry was a gem, certainly better than my colleague's  POS first husband, who used to beat the living daylights out of her.    They were married for 28 years, till Jerry succumbed to cancer a couple of years ago.

It's good that interracial marriage is acceptable now.  I know back in my youth, if I had come home with a black man, my parents would have run him off and disowned me -- particularly my pious Catholic mother.  So much for being a good Christian.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 07:11:32 pm »
If you take out the Kardashian sisters, the numbers are much lower.

****drummer ****drummer

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2017, 07:17:58 pm »

I got a dollar that says most of the anger comes from the minority side of the equation. Some of the most vocal people on this topic I have chatted with are blacks. They also have a solid hatred for Jews and Caribbean blacks too. Go figure.

Or older generations; boomers and older. I found that Gen-X and younger don't even care about race in regards to relationships unless they are somehow an activist, and those are fringe. Even in smaller town East Texas, it is becoming far more normal and common, and like was said above, that's a good thing. One more out-dated belief of uncivilized tribalism we are leaving behind.  Better for society and better for genetics.

At that, I found the ones who are obsessed with 'protecting their race' often have gene pools that appear to be tainted by too much inbreeding. (translated, Klan types seem to have IQs lower than a potato).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 07:20:47 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2017, 07:23:12 pm »
Or older generations; boomers and older. I found that Gen-X and younger don't even care about race in regards to relationships unless they are somehow an activist, and those are fringe. Even in smaller town East Texas, it is becoming far more normal and common, and like was said above, that's a good thing. One more out-dated belief of uncivilized tribalism we are leaving behind.  Better for society and better for genetics.

At that, I found the ones who are obsessed with 'protecting their race' often have gene pools that appear to be tainted by too much inbreeding. (translated, Klan types seem to have IQs lower than a potato).

Almost 2 years after tweeting it I'm getting almost daily hate tweets from alt right racists fixated on my comment that racial mixing is good.

Wingnut

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2017, 07:24:48 pm »
Every Saturday I set up shop at a Farmers Market in an undisclosed city at a harbor on the Gulf of Mexico that attracts tourists that would best be described as "working class".  The docks are lined with rental Pontoon boots and guided "swim with the dolphins" type excursion boats.  The entertainment is endless.  It is best described as the The People of Walmart take to the water.  Mixed race couples who on a good day shop the Med to Large racks for swim attire to fit their 4x bodies.  You can hear the seam threads screaming as they step down into the boats.

The otherday a group of 10 set sail for Gilligan's isle, with 4 of the crew tipping the scales at a good 3 fiddy each. The remaining boater all came in at a plus 200 lbs.  On embarking all 4 of the Butt sisters stepped to the rear of the boat with two other family members and sat down at the table under the awning.  This of course caused a slight weight imbalance and  as the stern sank and water swamped the rear the bow of that boat shot up out of the water like a sub on an emergency surface maneuver.  This freaked the Butt sisters out and they all fled to the bow which in turn caused the bow to submerge under the weight and the stern to rise.   The scene repeated itself several more times as the passengers raced back and forth, front to rear till the boat rental person ran over and told them to stand still and then separated the Butts into two teams...fore and aft. 

I was laughing so hard I peed my pants!

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2017, 07:30:26 pm »

As a boomer from East Texas, I can say that 50 years ago it would be scandalous to see an interracial couple.  Now no one hardly gives it a thought.  I personally was always of the opinion that people's own business was their own......   and unless it infringed on me, I don't really give a sh__.

Times change.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2017, 07:32:54 pm »
A white co-worker in one of my past jobs was married to a black man.  Jerry was a gem, certainly better than my colleague's  POS first husband, who used to beat the living daylights out of her.    They were married for 28 years, till Jerry succumbed to cancer a couple of years ago.

It's good that interracial marriage is acceptable now.  I know back in my youth, if I had come home with a black man, my parents would have run him off and disowned me -- particularly my pious Catholic mother.  So much for being a good Christian.

A few years ago I saw a movie called something like Guess who's  coming to dinner" with Spencer Tracy, Katherine Hepburn and Sidney Poitier. I had no idea it was like that at one time, I was a child when that happened.

I know my Aunt disinherited her youngest daughter for marrying a non Jew in 72. She later changed her mind a few years later.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 07:34:44 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2017, 08:25:23 pm »
Here's a story guaranteed to bring a smile:

I have one sister-in-law who always complained about being singled out because she was a Hispanic. She'd talk of retail clerks shooting "dirty looks" at her when she would enter a store. She complained about being turned down for jobs because of her ethnicity.

Lo and behold, about fifteen years ago, she fell in love with a white guy from New Braunfels with a German last name. After they were married, the rest of the world stopped discriminating against her.   :silly:
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2017, 08:32:13 pm »
We are told over and over and over how important diversity is.  It's true.  Any ecologist will tell you that diversity provides strength to a species.

And how does a species get diverse?  It prevents mixing of those elements that differ.  Miscegenation is the enemy of diversity.

As a result, this issue brings out a lot of hypocrisy.  Try going into a "Diversity Seminar" and telling them they're obviously opposing interracial relations and see what the response is!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2017, 08:33:09 pm »
Here's a story guaranteed to bring a smile:

I have one sister-in-law who always complained about being singled out because she was a Hispanic. She'd talk of retail clerks shooting "dirty looks" at her when she would enter a store. She complained about being turned down for jobs because of her ethnicity.

Lo and behold, about fifteen years ago, she fell in love with a white guy from New Braunfels with a German last name. After they were married, the rest of the world stopped discriminating against her.   :silly:

I have a friend who lives in Juarez but her dad is Scottish so she inherited the Mexican beauty with the Scottish attitude and last name. (I think they live somewhere in the Middle East now too.. lol).

Offline Applewood

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2017, 08:39:56 pm »
A few years ago I saw a movie called something like Guess who's  coming to dinner" with Spencer Tracy, Katherine Hepburn and Sidney Poitier. I had no idea it was like that at one time, I was a child when that happened.

I know my Aunt disinherited her youngest daughter for marrying a non Jew in 72. She later changed her mind a few years later.

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner was rather preachy.  The only thing that saved it was the performance of the actors.  I believe it was Spencer Tracy's last film, but the rapport between him and Katherine Hepburn (lovers in real life) wasn't feigned.  Movies like that were considered cutting edge and enlightened.  A number of taboos fell by the wayside.  In the case of interracial couples, that was a good thing (not so with abortion and homosexuality though).

In my parents' day, people didn't marry outside their ethnicity.  Dad was German, Mom was Italian, and neither set of parents approved.   My paternal grandmother didn't even attend the wedding.  It wasn't till Grandma's later years, when she needed help with housekeeping, did she get along well with my mother.  She had to.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2017, 09:03:06 pm »

I married a Catholic, Italian. For a die hard Protestant family at that time, it raised eyebrows. (My father was raised Mormon, but had given it up. But I have Mormon relatives.)

Fast forward 49 years: We occasionally see my Mormon side relatives. My wife says "I love the Mormons. They are just like Italians; all about family and food."

Obviously she is not into divisive religious doctrine. Just a live and let live type.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2017, 09:20:55 pm »
We are told over and over and over how important diversity is.  It's true.  Any ecologist will tell you that diversity provides strength to a species.

And how does a species get diverse?  It prevents mixing of those elements that differ.  Miscegenation is the enemy of diversity.

As a result, this issue brings out a lot of hypocrisy.  Try going into a "Diversity Seminar" and telling them they're obviously opposing interracial relations and see what the response is!

Diversity = anti-white.

Period.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2017, 10:29:38 pm »

Reminds of the one about the young Jewish guy who told his mother he was marrying a shiksa.  He was coming home to visit, and he asked his mother where they could sleep. His mother told him they could sleep in her bed, because she was killing herself.
I don't know if I picked that joke up from reading one of Phillip Roth's novels or some other Jewish writer.  It seemed most of the novelists I read in my late teens and early twenties were Jewish.
I know my Catholic parents weren't too keen when several of my brothers and sisters brought home non-Catholics they were planning to marry.  And their parents, Protestants, weren't too happy about their children marrying Catholics. Both sets of parents got over it.
Times change.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2017, 12:57:08 am »
AbaraXas wrote:
"At that, I found the ones who are obsessed with 'protecting their race' often have gene pools that appear to be tainted by too much inbreeding."

Why is it "wrong" for someone to want to "protect their race"?

If that's wrong, is it also wrong to want to protect one's culture? Is there much difference in that?

Or one's national borders?

Jes' askin'...