Author Topic: The White House Has Denied Reports that Trump Is Putting His U.K. State Visit On Hold  (Read 479 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The White House Has Denied Reports that Trump Is Putting His U.K. State Visit On Hold
Kevin Lui
Jun 11, 2017

The White House has denied a report that U.S. President Donald Trump is putting a planned state visit to the U.K. on hold due to backlash over remarks he made after a recent terrorist attack in London.

CNN reports that two senior members of the Trump administration have disputed an article published by the Guardian Sunday suggesting that Trump had effectively postponed the visit over concerns that he may be met with protests.

The initial report said Trump recently spoke by phone with British Prime Minister Theresa May, reportedly telling her he would not come to London without the support of the public.

Continued: http://time.com/4814207/white-house-denies-state-visit-canceled/

Offline ConservativeGranny

That is a possibility that he didn't want to come but I am wondering if it isn't more likely that she asked him NOT to come. The political atmosphere over there is very bad for her right now. The last thing she may want is a loose cannon like Trump making an appearance.

Another thought is that with the terrorist attacks recently there it may also be too much of a security issue that they just cannot handle right now.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

Since no date had been set for the visit, how can the date be changed or put on hold?
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline ConservativeGranny

Since no date had been set for the visit, how can the date be changed or put on hold?

Probably because it has been known for awhile now that Trump was planning a visit there. It has been a matter of controversy over in the UK. It's not been disputed that he planned on going. Whether or not they had a time frame in mind I don't know but it was planned for him to go, reported in the media and the UK never disputed it. Many times the exact dates and schedules are not released until right before the trip for security reasons.

I hardly think that Britain would "disinvite" Trump just for spite but I could see a valid security concern both for the UK and for Trump. There is a lot of turmoil over there right now. And Trump does have a reputation for stirring the pot:(