Author Topic: Conservatives near revolt on Senate health care negotiations  (Read 13168 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: Conservatives near revolt on Senate health care negotiations
« Reply #225 on: June 12, 2017, 10:40:20 pm »
I thought so too.  Seems to me it should be split between a mandatory defense spending amount and a discretionary one(like new missile systems)

This could just be the source agency making this - I do not know who is "National Priorities Project', and assume it is a liberal camp.

And honestly new tech could be put under the science budget IMO.  I mean look at all the civilian things DARPA and the other military research labs have given the world.

I agree with you...I think that National Priorities Project is a liberal group.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #226 on: June 12, 2017, 10:41:45 pm »
I'm not, beyond saving what I can, holding some assets until they appreciate in value, and trusting The Almighty to provide.
I myself believe it more likely that Social Security will be preserved (too many old voters counting on it) by robbing the 401k and IRAs of 'more advantaged' savers.

It is pure theft, but it is too large a kitty of money. The feds' logic is that, since no taxes have been paid on it, it is not really all the savers' money anyway.

With this in mind, I am trying to reduce the amounts of monies in those areas to put some distance between the govt and my money.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #227 on: June 12, 2017, 10:49:02 pm »
I myself believe it more likely that Social Security will be preserved (too many old voters counting on it) by robbing the 401k and IRAs of 'more advantaged' savers.

It is pure theft, but it is too large a kitty of money. The feds' logic is that, since no taxes have been paid on it, it is not really all the savers' money anyway.

With this in mind, I am trying to reduce the amounts of monies in those areas to put some distance between the govt and my money.
I have done pretty much that. I trust a tin box more, and unless you think the markets are going up much more, only individual investments are likely to show a hot return over the short term. Banks aren't putting much interest out there, and a guy is better off with the money where the government will have a hard time getting it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #228 on: June 12, 2017, 10:49:22 pm »

Do you know the worst way in which they rob you?   Devaluing the currency.    Printing dollars and engaging in  inflationist policies. 

They say inflation is not terribly bad,   but these are the made up phoney baloney numbers created by that corrupt idiot's administration,   and are therefore lies right off the bat. 

Virtually everything has doubled in cost since 2008.   

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #229 on: June 12, 2017, 10:55:04 pm »

Do you know the worst way in which they rob you?   Devaluing the currency.    Printing dollars and engaging in  inflationist policies. 

They say inflation is not terribly bad,   but these are the made up phoney baloney numbers created by that corrupt idiot's administration,   and are therefore lies right off the bat. 

Yep. We keep the pantries stocked and the freezers full, anticipating increases. Ground beef here is up 10% over a month ago, for instance, and expected to go higher. I need to put up another 25 pounds, now that we have the space.

Of course, food, fuel (motor and heating) and electricity aren't factored into the inflation figures. In the meantime, everything from tunafish to toilet paper is going up and getting smaller.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 10:56:53 pm by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #230 on: June 12, 2017, 11:03:45 pm »
Yep. We keep the pantries stocked and the freezers full, anticipating increases. Ground beef here is up 10% over a month ago, for instance, and expected to go higher. I need to put up another 25 pounds, now that we have the space.

Of course, food, fuel (motor and heating) and electricity aren't factored into the inflation figures. In the meantime, everything from tunafish to toilet paper is going up and getting smaller.

Jackass lying affirmative action man's administration removed those from the calculations right off the bat.   Why?  Because they would show the world what an utterly incompetent crapweasel he was. 

Of course the media did not question this,  they just aided and abetted this very serious lie that was fed to the American people.   

An Objective media would have pointed out that food and fuel are the two most important commodities that go into the inflation calculation.   They are the two commodities on which most people spend most of their money.   

By deliberately covering up the Obama-lie about inflation,   the media helped that incompetent malignant fool get reelected. 

We owe them retribution.   
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #231 on: June 12, 2017, 11:11:32 pm »
I'm not, beyond saving what I can, holding some assets until they appreciate in value, and trusting The Almighty to provide.

I'm in a similar situation.  Getting everything paid off, live near family & friends, and lowering my expectations.  God willing and the creek don't rise, it will work out.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #232 on: June 13, 2017, 02:49:53 am »

Jackass lying affirmative action man's administration removed those from the calculations right off the bat.   Why?  Because they would show the world what an utterly incompetent crapweasel he was. 

Of course the media did not question this,  they just aided and abetted this very serious lie that was fed to the American people.   

An Objective media would have pointed out that food and fuel are the two most important commodities that go into the inflation calculation.   They are the two commodities on which most people spend most of their money.   

By deliberately covering up the Obama-lie about inflation,   the media helped that incompetent malignant fool get reelected. 

We owe them retribution.
But ..... but.... but... we were supposed to take the train, or the bus.... And eat grass or arugula or something...

C S Lewis

« Reply #233 on: June 13, 2017, 12:01:17 pm »

That is how to reduce the debt you owe, and the feds control the pursestrings.

Inflation Argentina-style
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #234 on: June 13, 2017, 01:04:42 pm »
That is how to reduce the debt you owe, and the feds control the pursestrings.

Inflation Argentina-style

Yes, and I noticed that over the last few years of 0bama's presidency, the financial talking heads would talk about no inflation as if that was a bad thing, leading me to the conclusion that somehow inflation benefits them.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #235 on: June 13, 2017, 01:11:25 pm »

I disagree - inflation's been mostly under control for years.   The federal government's worst policy for older Americans has been its running of colossal budget deficits.   To finance that deficit,  interest rates have been kept so low that folks on fixed incomes can't get more than a quarter percent interest on a savings account.  That forces older folks to keep their savings in the risky stock market because that's their only potential source of investment income. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #236 on: June 13, 2017, 01:14:03 pm »
I'm in a similar situation.  Getting everything paid off, live near family & friends, and lowering my expectations.  God willing and the creek don't rise, it will work out.

Same here. Been in the same house 20 years, we're in the midst of a remodeling campaign: new cabinets in the kitchen, new gutters outside. I was looking to sell and capture the gain, but my youngest is in high school for 3 more years. Mortgage is very reasonable, $1500/month including escrow.

Two more years of work, then I'll transition to part-time work, and spend my free time in personal pursuits such as visiting wineries. My "splurging" will likely be confined to two weeks in Germany, hopefully on an annual basis. I've got the spot picked out, a bed and breakfast that is located about ten miles from where I lived during my tour in Germany. Good location, 4 hours by autobahn from Amsterdam, Munich, Hamburg.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

« Reply #237 on: June 13, 2017, 04:55:32 pm »
The federal government's worst policy for older Americans has been its running of colossal budget deficits.   
Don't think so. The older ones are enjoying the deficit that the younger ones will be forced to pay back.

In other words:  They are spending other people's money.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #238 on: June 13, 2017, 05:18:37 pm »
Don't think so. The older ones are enjoying the deficit that the younger ones will be forced to pay back.

In other words:  They are spending other people's money.

Disagree.   All that deficit spending isn't benefitting seniors.  But low interest rates to finance the deficit is decimating seniors' retirement incomes, or forcing them to take risks to obtain any investment return at all. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

« Reply #239 on: June 13, 2017, 05:24:05 pm »
Disagree.   All that deficit spending isn't benefitting seniors.
Really?  Who do you think is receiving Social Security and Medicare?

And how much are they paying in at the same time?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 05:25:05 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #240 on: June 13, 2017, 05:26:35 pm »

Beat me to it. The last time I read my SS benefits statement, IIRC the fund runs out of money in 2039, and SS taxes will cover about 74% of payouts. Sounds like Bernie Madoff was in charge of the program.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #241 on: June 13, 2017, 05:28:58 pm »

Ditto that.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #242 on: June 13, 2017, 05:53:08 pm »
Beat me to it. The last time I read my SS benefits statement, IIRC the fund runs out of money in 2039, and SS taxes will cover about 74% of payouts. Sounds like Bernie Madoff was in charge of the program.
2039....hmmm...shoot....I'll be gone by then.  That will work out just about right...lol.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #243 on: June 13, 2017, 07:20:22 pm »

Great, that's about the time I'm supposed to start collecting.  Glad I was able to contribute a substantial amount to a 401k while I was working.  Except that will most likely be taken so that my hard work and planning ahead will benefit someone else.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #244 on: June 13, 2017, 09:16:27 pm »
Yes, and I noticed that over the last few years of 0bama's presidency, the financial talking heads would talk about no inflation as if that was a bad thing, leading me to the conclusion that somehow inflation benefits them.
Well, either there is inflation, which allows obligations paid off over time to be paid for in easier to get dollars which are worth less, or there is deflation, which means those dollars are worth more over time and harder to come by. If you have a debt, and the interest rate is Y% if inflation is at Y plus some %, you are making money at the rate of the difference between inflation and the interest rate during an inflation cycle.
(in theory, anyway). If that changes and you are heavily leveraged, you can lose the farm (Literally, many did up this way during the transition from the Carter years).

If inflation is less than the interest rate, you pay to borrow the money, the difference between inflation and the interest rate, and if the currency is actually deflating (becoming worth more), it costs the rate of deflation plus the interest rate to borrow long term, and the money is harder to come by, too (falling wages and prices).

So, for bankers who operate on marginal reserves, mild inflation is a good thing, because they borrow the money they loan, and pay it back in money that is worth less. Deflation is a nightmare, because defaults increase and the money they have to pay back is worth more, dollar for dollar than the money they borrowed.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #245 on: June 13, 2017, 09:18:16 pm »
Well, either there is inflation, which allows obligations paid off over time to be paid for in easier to get dollars which are worth less, or there is deflation, which means those dollars are worth more over time and harder to come by. If you have a debt, and the interest rate is Y% if inflation is at Y plus some %, you are making money at the rate of the difference between inflation and the interest rate during an inflation cycle.
(in theory, anyway). If that changes and you are heavily leveraged, you can lose the farm (Literally, many did up this way during the transition from the Carter years).

If inflation is less than the interest rate, you pay to borrow the money, the difference between inflation and the interest rate, and if the currency is actually deflating (becoming worth more), it costs the rate of deflation plus the interest rate to borrow long term, and the money is harder to come by, too (falling wages and prices).

So, for bankers who operate on marginal reserves, mild inflation is a good thing, because they borrow the money they loan, and pay it back in money that is worth less. Deflation is a nightmare, because defaults increase and the money they have to pay back is worth more, dollar for dollar than the money they borrowed.

That's a good point. 

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #246 on: June 13, 2017, 09:22:49 pm »

Let's back up and look at why there is a deficit. Because the "lock box" was stuffed with I.O.U.s to buy votes from the welfare set. At least most of the folks on SS paid in. Faulty actuarial data is not the fault of the payees, nor is mismanagement of the funds, that's on Congress and the rest of the Federal Government.

C S Lewis