Author Topic: California's endless winter: 8 feet of snow still on the ground in June  (Read 886 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
It's an endless winter in the West.

Snow from the barrage of storms that pounded the western mountains over the winter is still on the ground. Many mountains in the Rockies, Sierra and Cascades are packed with at least 8 feet of snow, the National Weather Service said, creating a dream summer for skiers and snowboarders.

The Mammoth Mountain ski area in Mammoth Lakes, Calif., is seeing its "best spring conditions in decades ... and will be operating DAILY into August for one of our longest seasons in history," the resort said on its website. "When will this endless winter end? We don’t have that answer yet, but we do know that the skiing and riding is all-time right now."

Earlier this year, the snowpack throughout the Sierra rivaled, and in places exceeded, records set during the massive winter of 1982-83. As of June 6, the amount of snow on the ground in the central Sierra region was twice as much as usual, marking its biggest June snowpack in years, the California Department of Water Resources said. In late winter and early spring, the snowpack was as large as it had been in decades.

“We are in rare territory here with the winter we’ve had,” said Chris Smallcomb, a meteorologist with the weather service in Reno, the office that also covers the Sierra in California.

More: https://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2017/06/07/californias-endless-winter-8-feet-snow-still-ground-june/102586278/
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
They are draining Lake Tahoe as fast as possible, but the runoff is so great, it threatens to flood buildings close to the shore.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Joe Wooten

Youngest spawn has told me he plans on going snowboarding on July 4th in shorts with no shirt at some ski resort there in Northern Cali. He has already made reservations.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Youngest spawn has told me he plans on going snowboarding on July 4th in shorts with no shirt at some ski resort there in Northern Cali. He has already made reservations.

Plenty of skiing locations in California

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_California_ski_resorts
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online roamer_1

It ain't just Cali... We've still got tons up here in MT too... Glacier Park's famed Going to the Sun Road is not yet cleared... and it's easy 30 days past normal. The 'Big Drift' up there is some 60 feet deep.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

That actually sounds fun.
The Republic is lost.