Author Topic: DID JUSTICE GINSBURG VIOLATE JUDICIAL ETHICS IN HER CRITICISM OF DONALD TRUMP?  (Read 555 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
DID JUSTICE GINSBURG VIOLATE JUDICIAL ETHICS IN HER CRITICISM OF DONALD TRUMP?

I have long been a critic of the Supreme Court justices engaging in public appearances where they hold forth on contemporary issues and even pending matters before the Court. I have been particularly critical of the late Justice Antonin Scalia and Associated Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg who clearly relished appearances before ideologically supportive groups. I have called this trend the “rise of the celebrity justice.” Now, Justice Ginsburg has started another firestorm over public comments where she joked that she would move to New Zealand if Donald Trump is elected. Canon 5 of the judicial ethical rules expressly states that judges shall not “make speeches for a political organization or candidate, or publicly endorse or oppose a candidate for public office.” The problem is that the Court has long maintained that ethical codes are not enforceable against its members as opposed to every other jurist in the country. This absurd position has continued because Congress has failed to act, something that I have previously criticized. Ginsburg’s statements this week reflects the continued sense of impunity enjoyed by justices who violate the core maxim that “no man shall be the judge of his own case.” The justices are the judges of their own ethical cases and they show vividly why that is a dangerous and corrupting power.

https://jonathanturley.org/2016/07/11/did-justice-ginsburg-just-violate-judicial-ethics-in-her-criticism-of-donald-trump/amp/
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The Code of Conduct for U.S. Judges for your reference:  http://www.uscourts.gov/judges-judgeships/code-conduct-united-states-judges
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
She sure did and made it personal, too. The ancient leftist needs to retire.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
She sure did and made it personal, too. The ancient leftist needs to retire.
hah hah far too late for that.  Ginsburg's own supreme arrogance made her ignore panicked demands from leftists that she retire while a Communi...uh, the 'Crats had the Eightball in the Oval Office and the majority in the senate. I cannot imagine what she might have been thinking when she instead decided to roll the dice and bet everything on the hope that a 'Crat would win the 2016 election.

The old crone was likely whistling a happy tune right up to the morning she woke up to  Hill-O-Lies conceding to DJT - after which time that sick Ginsburg angry-poodle-snarl has been permanently plastered all over her loathesome prune face. heh

"In the Last Days, men (and crones) will wish for retirement but be unable to retire."- Revelations

« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 05:13:53 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Old story.

Still:

Was she speaking from the bench, or in another capacity as SC Justice?

No, she was not. Therefore she did not breach judicial ethics. The laws of ettiquette, perhaps.

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Depends[1], was she talking in her sleep?

[1]There's a joke there, but I'll let it go.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.