Author Topic: The Lesson Of The Comey Hearings: Character Counts  (Read 688 times)

Offline corbe

The Lesson Of The Comey Hearings: Character Counts
« on: June 09, 2017, 02:38:19 am »
The Lesson Of The Comey Hearings: Character Counts

By David Thornton  |  June 8, 2017, 09:41pm  |  @captainkudzu

James Comey’s testimony is not going to break the impasse in Washington and will satisfy neither side. Trump supporters are claiming that the president was exonerated because Comey did not claim that Trump ordered him to drop the Russia investigation and did not present an airtight accusation of obstruction of justice. Trump opponents point to the fact that Comey stood by his claim that the president asked him to drop the investigation of Mike Flynn and that such a request is unethical, even if it doesn’t clearly rise to the standard of obstruction of justice.

Whatever your opinion of the he said-he said dispute between Comey and Trump, the matter underscores just how wrong Trump supporters were about one thing: Character does still matter.

The fundamental question in the matter is who to believe. Do Americans trust the former FBI director with an axe to grind and a reputation for protecting himself politically or do they trust the sitting president with a casual regard for the truth, a man who has a reputation for saying whatever seems expedient at the moment and walking it back or pretending it was never said later.

When a president needs the benefit of the doubt from the country, as Trump does now, it helps if he has a good reputation. Trump does not. A Quinnipiac poll from May found that 61 percent say that Trump is not honest. When asked the first word that comes to mind about Donald Trump, the top three answers were “idiot” (39 percent), “incompetent” (31 percent), and “liar” (30 percent).

<..snip..>

http://theresurgent.com/the-lesson-of-the-comey-hearings-character-counts/

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: The Lesson Of The Comey Hearings: Character Counts
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 03:32:48 am »
A Quinnipiac poll from May found that 61 percent say that Trump is not honest. When asked the first word that comes to mind about Donald Trump, the top three answers were “idiot” (39 percent), “incompetent” (31 percent), and “liar” (30 percent).

Interesting derangement piece from the suck asses at the Repugnant. I tried to find similar polling about Bush 2 and Obama to compare with this but couldn't find a single thing.

Offline corbe

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 03:44:39 am »
   Are you suggesting Mr Cannon that @captainkudzu at Repugent.com is perpetrating an Internet wide Fraud on us keyboard warriors that have not yet confessed our 'Absolute Loyalty' to our Glorious President?.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 03:47:17 am »
The other lesson:

If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, then baffle 'em with BS.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 04:08:04 am »
   Are you suggesting Mr Cannon that @captainkudzu at Repugent.com is perpetrating an Internet wide Fraud on us keyboard warriors that have not yet confessed our 'Absolute Loyalty' to our Glorious President?.

No. I'm saying that writers at outspoken Anti-Trump gasbag and fraud Erik Erickson think they are making a point, when all they are doing is filling electronic pages with forgettable bullshit.

Since you seem like you know more than me, maybe you can direct me to the other Quinnipiac polls on this topic done on other Presidents so I can see for myself if this finding on Donny is troubling or the norm.

All I could find were these state polls from last year somewhere in the neighborhood of NOVEMBER 2nd....

FLORIDA: Clinton 46 - Trump 45, Johnson 2
    NORTH CAROLINA: Clinton 47 - Trump 44, Johnson 3
    OHIO: Trump 46 - Clinton 41, Johnson 5
    PENNSYLVANIA: Clinton 48 - Trump 43, Johnson 3

https://poll.qu.edu/2016-presidential-swing-state-polls/release-detail?ReleaseID=2399

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 04:17:43 am »
Regardless the arguments about which poll this or that, the fact is - CHARACTER DOES MATTER.

Unless liberty is all just another fantasy sporting event you think you can place bets on to score 'wins' and rah-rah your man and/or team.

In which case we all lose.

Because liberty cannot exist when dubious persons of character are in positions of power over the rest of us, because at minimum they will define deviancy and criminality on down to acceptability and eventually we all become victims of the power of those controlling the state.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline corbe

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 12:05:50 am »
No. I'm saying that writers at outspoken Anti-Trump gasbag and fraud Erik Erickson think they are making a point, when all they are doing is filling electronic pages with forgettable bullshit.

Since you seem like you know more than me, maybe you can direct me to the other Quinnipiac polls on this topic done on other Presidents so I can see for myself if this finding on Donny is troubling or the norm.

All I could find were these state polls from last year somewhere in the neighborhood of NOVEMBER 2nd....

FLORIDA: Clinton 46 - Trump 45, Johnson 2
    NORTH CAROLINA: Clinton 47 - Trump 44, Johnson 3
    OHIO: Trump 46 - Clinton 41, Johnson 5
    PENNSYLVANIA: Clinton 48 - Trump 43, Johnson 3

https://poll.qu.edu/2016-presidential-swing-state-polls/release-detail?ReleaseID=2399

I just found this poll, today, but it's Rasmussen, which may or may not be on the approved list at this time:

Who do you trust more Trump or Comey?

Comey 45%
Trump 37%
Undecided 18%

All polls seem crap these days, even across the pond, as yesterdays election proved.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/trump_administration/june_2017/comey_edges_trump_in_voter_trust

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 12:23:42 am »

I just found this poll, today, but it's Rasmussen, which may or may not be on the approved list at this time:

Who do you trust more Trump or Comey?

Comey 45%
Trump 37%
Undecided 18%

All polls seem crap these days, even across the pond, as yesterdays election proved.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/trump_administration/june_2017/comey_edges_trump_in_voter_trust
Wonder which of the two has received more negative media coverage?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington