Author Topic: What Happens When We Don’t Raise Kids to Become Adults  (Read 2358 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: What Happens When We Don’t Raise Kids to Become Adults
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2017, 10:23:59 am »
My parents raised me right. The older I get, the more I'm amazed how well they raised my sister and I.

That said, I still believe in Santa and occasionally watch cartoons. (Sunday night, Simpsons, etc).

I still make wishes on stars and traffic lights. But I know these are just little things that make me happy, like eating ice cream on a hot day.

I guess is what I'm saying is you can be a responsible adult and still keep your childlike sense of wonder every now and then if it keeps you sane.

I still sleep with a teddy bear. Perhaps I wouldn't if I had a warm body with me, but I feel safe.

When I've peer counseled some of these snowflakes in college they've cried over the idea of learning how to drive or opening a bank account.

I can't relate to that. Yet, they are attending ivy and junior ivy schools.

Snowflakes belong on the ground so you can ski on them and lob snowballs at your friends, this generation I think is doomed.

I would have given everything to be a mom. Maybe it's for the best I didn't.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 10:25:16 am by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online mountaineer

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2017, 11:27:25 am »
I guess is what I'm saying is you can be a responsible adult and still keep your childlike sense of wonder every now and then if it keeps you sane.  ...  When I've peer counseled some of these snowflakes in college they've cried over the idea of learning how to drive or opening a bank account.
Nothing wrong with keeping a childlike sense of wonder or occasionally splashing through a puddle or climbing a tree! I'm in favor, in fact.

The problem is the second thing you describe, people who, while physically adults, behave and think like toddlers. They're eternally Eric Cartman: I'll do what I want! Mommmmm, I don't wanna!  Mommmmm, I want cheezypoofs for breakfast!

The blame has to be laid on their parents. The helicopter mothers my husband had to deal with as a college administrator come to mind. These are the parents who try to keep their offspring children forever.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2017, 09:08:26 pm »
I thought here at TBC all the women are 10's, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average.

I did an old-time-style radio comedy show here in Las Vegas for a year between 2009-2010. I usually opened
our closing segment with, "That's the news from Lake Woe-Is-Me, where the women are on steroids, the men
are good for nothing much better, and the children---are not above eating their parents."

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Wingnut

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2017, 09:18:12 pm »
I did an old-time-style radio comedy show here in Las Vegas for a year between 2009-2010. I usually opened
our closing segment with, "That's the news from Lake Woe-Is-Me, where the women are on steroids, the men
are good for nothing much better, and the children---are not above eating their parents."

I never knew we had so many TBR members who had a face for radio!

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2017, 09:19:16 pm »
I never knew we had so many TBR members who had a face for radio!
I resemble that remark!

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Wingnut

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2017, 09:34:27 pm »
I resemble that remark!

Me you and Txradioguy too!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2017, 09:39:40 pm »
The two things I told my kids :

1. We have plenty of money
2. You can't have any of it.

If you want to ruin your kids, give them money.
My grandfather was on his own from age 14. My father (his son) joined the Marines at age 17, and remained on his own.

I was a handful for my father. So when I reached 18, he said for me to get out, and try it on my own, since I thought I knew it all.

I crawled back in a few weeks, so he let me stay for a few weeks, but only with the understanding I was to leave soon.

Left shortly after that, after meeting a girl who I have called "wife" for 49 years. In the early weeks her Dad helped me find a decent job.

Engagement, marriage, baby, military conscription, GI bill, two degrees later, I have zero sympathy for the 20 and 30 something children of our society.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2017, 12:33:44 pm »

With this economy, though, who knows?

I'll tell you what my father told me in 1981. "The economy is fine. Entertain the idea that the problem is you."
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2017, 01:34:15 pm »
My grandfather was on his own from age 14. My father (his son) joined the Marines at age 17, and remained on his own.

I was a handful for my father. So when I reached 18, he said for me to get out, and try it on my own, since I thought I knew it all.

I crawled back in a few weeks, so he let me stay for a few weeks, but only with the understanding I was to leave soon.

Left shortly after that, after meeting a girl who I have called "wife" for 49 years. In the early weeks her Dad helped me find a decent job.

Engagement, marriage, baby, military conscription, GI bill, two degrees later, I have zero sympathy for the 20 and 30 something children of our society.

Both of my older kids, now 30 and 28, complained to us during their freshman year of college that we weren't "supportive enough of their educational dreams." My daughter wanted to go to Oklahoma, and ended up at UNT in Denton. My son desired to matriculate at Florida State. I quashed that idea immediately, informing him his work in HS proved to me he wasn't ready for any 4 year institution.

Both received the same response from me, which was delivered in an even tone: "you're in the first semester of your freshman year of college. So far, you've already received more support from your parents than we did. In fact, your mother worked her way through college, paying all of her costs by herself. My parents paid nothing out of their pockets for my bachelors and masters degrees." I had a 4 year Army ROTC scholarship, and the GI Bill paid for much of my masters degree.

They never brought that topic up again...
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2017, 02:06:05 pm »
It's funny when my son justifies his grades by mentioning that I flunked out of collefefe. I always counter with "Yeah but I later got a 3.5 GPA in Accounting while working full time".
Countdown to Resignation