Author Topic: Barack Obama: ‘The future does not belong to strongmen’  (Read 751 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Former President Barack Obama warned against nationalist and authoritarian movements during his speech in Canada, declaring he’s convinced that “the future does not belong to strongmen.”
Mr. Obama did not mention President Trump directly in his speech Tuesday, but took several veiled shots at his successor while addressing the Montreal Chamber of Commerce.
“In an age of instant information where TV and Twitter can feed us a steady stream of bad news and sometimes fake news, it can seem like the international order that we’ve created is being constantly tested and that the center may not hold,” Mr. Obama said.
“In some cases, that may lead people to search for certainty and control,” he continued. “And they can call for isolationism or nationalism or they can suggest rolling back the rights of others, or simply, they can try to retreat and suggest that we have no obligations beyond our borders.”
“Those instincts of retrenchment are understandable. They’re tempting during changing times,” he added.
Mr. Obama said the public’s cynicism and lack of trust in politicians can often turn people onto “populist alternatives” who “may not actually deliver, but are tempting.”
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jun/7/barack-obama-the-future-does-not-belong-to-strongm/

It sure doesn't belong to this
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Re: Barack Obama: ‘The future does not belong to strongmen’
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 03:52:51 am »
The future belongs to every American.  This is OUR country!
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Wingnut

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 03:53:13 am »
It's hard to be humble when you rake in $7,700-a-minute for his Canadian speech and then share a bromancing meal between two boys on a man's mission.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 03:54:50 am »
Coming from the rat fart who was going to be more flexible for the Soviet Vlad.

Offline endicom

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 04:01:43 am »
I will be my own strongman, thank you.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 10:50:30 pm »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com