Author Topic: How a few yellow dots burned the Intercept’s NSA leaker  (Read 364 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
How a few yellow dots burned the Intercept’s NSA leaker
« on: June 07, 2017, 02:38:55 am »
Ars Technica

When reporters at The Intercept approached the National Security Agency on June 1 to confirm a document that had been anonymously leaked to the publication in May, they handed over a copy of the document to the NSA to verify its authenticity. When they did so, the Intercept team inadvertently exposed its source because the copy showed fold marks that indicated it had been printed—and it included encoded watermarking that revealed exactly when it had been printed and on what printer.

The watermarks, shown in the image above—an enhancement of the scanned document The Intercept published yesterday—were from a Xerox Docucolor printer. Many printers use this or similar schemes, printing faint yellow dots in a grid pattern on printed documents as a form of steganography, encoding metadata about the document into its hard-copy output. Researchers working with the Electronic Frontier Foundation have reverse-engineered the grid pattern employed by this class of printer; using the tool, Ars (and others, including security researcher Robert Graham) determined that the document passed to The Intercept was printed on May 9, 2017 at 6:20am from a printer with the serial number 535218 or 29535218.

The results from inputting the dot pattern from the NSA leak into EFF's tool show when and where the page was printed.
Enlarge / The results from inputting the dot pattern from the NSA leak into EFF's tool show when and where the page was printed.
Armed with this evidence, the NSA was able to quickly determine who had printed the document by checking audit logs. NSA investigators quickly narrowed it down to Reality Leigh Winner, a 25-year-old contractor for Pluribus International Corporation, a company that provides analytical, translation, and cyberwarfare development services to the intelligence community. Winner was working at the NSA's Fort Gordon, Georgia facility. Her identification was apparently aided, according to the Justice Department's arrest warrant affidavit, by her contacting The Intercept from her work e-mail:

More: https://arstechnica.com/security/2017/06/how-a-few-yellow-dots-burned-the-intercepts-nsa-leaker/
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

Re: How a few yellow dots burned the Intercept’s NSA leaker
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 02:45:56 am »
What a moron. She's working on top secret stuff and she doesn't even bother to wonder if things like printouts are traced?

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 02:50:29 am »
We can bet the farm that she is not the ONLY Obama-era 'hate Americanista' employed in the government or it's agencies that is willing to hand over intel to enemies like Iran.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online DB

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 02:52:46 am »
Whomever hired her and was her boss should be fired too. She had no business entering the building even as a janitor.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 11:41:37 am »
We can bet the farm that she is not the ONLY Obama-era 'hate Americanista' employed in the government or it's agencies that is willing to hand over intel to enemies like Iran.
My husband's nephew - a high school dropout - worked for some sort of government contractor a few years ago, and he was a big Palestine supporter. His uncle (on the other side of the family) was a big wheel at Jimmy Carter's pro-Hamas organization, and the kid had traveled to the Middle East, including Syria. Apparently, no one noticed. I only hope he didn't have a top level security clearance. Thankfully, he doesn't work there now. We think he's moved on to dealing drugs in Missouri.  :pondering:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 12:07:16 pm »
My husband's nephew - a high school dropout - worked for some sort of government contractor a few years ago, and he was a big Palestine supporter. His uncle (on the other side of the family) was a big wheel at Jimmy Carter's pro-Hamas organization, and the kid had traveled to the Middle East, including Syria. Apparently, no one noticed. I only hope he didn't have a top level security clearance. Thankfully, he doesn't work there now. We think he's moved on to dealing drugs in Missouri.  :pondering:

...made me spit out my coffee!    :laugh:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 12:07:40 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 12:10:18 pm »

Now, now. Don't begrudge the man his promotion.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 12:30:01 pm »
He tells his mother he's in the graduate accounting program at UMKC, even though they have no record of anyone with his last name ever attending there. She still believes him.  *****rollingeyes*****
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org