Author Topic: Evidence of the earliest occupation of the coasts of Australia from Barrow Island, Northwest Australia  (Read 2133 times)

rangerrebew

Evidence of the earliest occupation of the coasts of Australia from Barrow Island, Northwest Australia
May 19, 2017

An archaeological study has found evidence of the earliest occupation of the Australian coast from Barrow Island, Northwest Australia.

A large multi-disciplinary research team, led by Prof Peter Veth of the University of Western Australia, head of the Barrow Island Archaeology Project, has published the findings in Quaternary Science Reviews.

The excavation and dating of artefacts and sea and land fauna from sites on the island provide evidence of the Aboriginal occupation of Australia dating back to a period between 46,200 and 51,100 thousand years. These estimates overlap with, and effectively push back, the earliest dates now widely accepted for the first occupation of Australia.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-05-evidence-earliest-occupation-coasts-australia.html#jCp

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Those dates are much earlier, than the earliest estimates for humans in the Americas.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Those dates are much earlier, than the earliest estimates for humans in the Americas.

True, but those numbers are also being pushed back as discoveries are made.

Offline truth_seeker

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Yeah, but it was a lot more difficult and further to cross the Bering Strait.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Evidence of the earliest occupation of the coasts of Australia from Barrow Island, Northwest Australia
May 19, 2017

An archaeological study has found evidence of the earliest occupation of the Australian coast from Barrow Island, Northwest Australia.

A large multi-disciplinary research team, led by Prof Peter Veth of the University of Western Australia, head of the Barrow Island Archaeology Project, has published the findings in Quaternary Science Reviews.

The excavation and dating of artefacts and sea and land fauna from sites on the island provide evidence of the Aboriginal occupation of Australia dating back to a period between 46,200 and 51,100 thousand years. These estimates overlap with, and effectively push back, the earliest dates now widely accepted for the first occupation of Australia.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-05-evidence-earliest-occupation-coasts-australia.html#jCp
I have been to Barrow Island as it is an oil province on a large, uninhabited island.  It exists as a sanctuary of indigenous life as there are strict rules on ensuring cats, rats or other non-indigenous fauna are not brought there.

Exceptional portrayal of Australia as it existed prior to Western Civilization introductions.  Too bad it is off-limits to the public to experience this firsthand.

Also, there exists no fresh water on the island, but could have perhaps many years ago when humans lived there and connected to mainland.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Yeah, but it was a lot more difficult and further to cross the Bering Strait.
Dunno. My wife claims her ancestors walked across.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

That map is an absurdity.

Offline truth_seeker

That map is an absurdity.

Really? So you ignore archaeology, anthropology, genetics, linguistics, etc.

Online roamer_1

Really? So you ignore archaeology, anthropology, genetics, linguistics, etc.

Yeah - Every bit as disproved as Columbus 'discovering' America.

Science, in general, cannot hear over the sound of it's own flatulence. And archaeology is more flatulent than most.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 03:52:58 am by roamer_1 »

Offline truth_seeker

Yeah - Every bit as disproved as Columbus 'discovering' America.

Science, in general, cannot hear over the sound of it's own flatulence. And archaeology is more flatulent than most.

That map didn't claim Columbus discovered America. It suggests people from Asia first inhabited North then South America.

It they didn't walk across the Bering Strait, how did humans get to the America? Fly, swim, levitate?

Online roamer_1

That map didn't claim Columbus discovered America. It suggests people from Asia first inhabited North then South America.

It they didn't walk across the Bering Strait, how did humans get to the America? Fly, swim, levitate?

One of the most long lived blind spots of the sciences is the hubris of modern man being more intelligent and intuitive than our elders. In that, the most profound ignorance exists - that being that a people existing by the sea will not within mere generations learn to exploit the sea. Seas have never been barriers... They've been highways.

To suggest that seal hunters have not, from ancient generations, know inherently about the American North is comical, to say the least.

Trade winds across both the Pacific and Atlantic bring Europe and Asia toward America. Clovis and even Denisovan evidence Show long migration from Europe via the Atlantic... China records multiples of expeditions into the Pacific, and direct ancient DNA can be found in western coastal S. America.

Sumerian artifacts are found world wide, to include the Fuente Magnus Bowl found near lake Titicaca predating Incan times.

Egyptian mummies found to contain Columbian narcotics...

Pyramids and henges the whole world over...

Get back to me when there is a reasonable explanation for how machined megalithic blocks were carved and transported that we can't move today.

The evidence is literally everywhere... blatantly ignored by science, because it does not fit their theory on things.

Offline truth_seeker

One of the most long lived blind spots of the sciences is the hubris of modern man being more intelligent and intuitive than our elders. In that, the most profound ignorance exists - that being that a people existing by the sea will not within mere generations learn to exploit the sea. Seas have never been barriers... They've been highways.

To suggest that seal hunters have not, from ancient generations, know inherently about the American North is comical, to say the least.

Trade winds across both the Pacific and Atlantic bring Europe and Asia toward America. Clovis and even Denisovan evidence Show long migration from Europe via the Atlantic... China records multiples of expeditions into the Pacific, and direct ancient DNA can be found in western coastal S. America.

Sumerian artifacts are found world wide, to include the Fuente Magnus Bowl found near lake Titicaca predating Incan times.

Get back to me when there is a reasonable explanation for how machined megalithic blocks were carved and transported that we can't move today.

The evidence is literally everywhere... blatantly ignored by science, because it does not fit their theory on things.

Great answer.

Offline Smokin Joe

Outstanding. The idea that people just placidly sat still flies in the face of ordinary human urge to see what is over the next hill.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

Outstanding. The idea that people just placidly sat still flies in the face of ordinary human urge to see what is over the next hill.

Thanks.

And Respect: I am not stepping on your wife's people, or their story...

Offline Smokin Joe

Thanks.

And Respect: I am not stepping on your wife's people, or their story...
I never took it that way, so no offense taken.

When someone looks at some of the goods found at Cahokia or some of the Hopewell communities, trade goods from all over the continent were found, from the gulf and west coasts, the UP of Michigan, the Carolinas, you know people traveled extensively. I think the amount of travel and the ingenuity involved has always been underestimated due to a Darwinian tendency to see 'our' culture as the pinnacle, and 'their' culture as less developed, which fits with the linearity in Darwinism, and justifies the Colonial 'guidance' used to exploit or loot entire civilizations. The preeminent logic has been "That can't be ancient Hebrew carved on those rocks in AZ, because there weren't any ancient Hebrews there, or the Norse weren't in Minnesota (well, not until the 1800s), or the Phoenicians in New England, so evidence will be ignored, because, well, "They weren't there, it couldn't have been them".  What writings that did exist that were not destroyed, were mostly carved in stone (literally), the rest were burned as heresy even though the ones feeding the fire couldn't read them.  I'm a bit of a heretic as an archaeologist, and far from the only one, and only now is that beginning to gain ground and let the evidence (once carefully verified to not be some elaborate hoax) do the talking.

People have done amazing things. People have crossed oceans on rafts, in rowboats, and reed boats, in the last 100 years, what's to keep them from doing it then?

« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 06:47:00 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

I think the amount of travel and the ingenuity involved has always been underestimated due to a Darwinian tendency to see 'our' culture as the pinnacle, and 'their' culture as less developed, which fits with the linearity in Darwinism, and justifies the Colonial 'guidance' used to exploit or loot entire civilizations.

I think that is precisely right. I think in part, it is one thing building upon another - There is a very serious 'group think' problem... a normalcy bias... That is the prime driver. But I thoroughly believe the agenda is precisely due to Darwinism.

The preeminent logic has been "That can't be ancient Hebrew carved on those rocks in AZ, because there weren't any ancient Hebrews there, or the Norse weren't in Minnesota (well, not until the 1800s), or the Phoenicians in New England, so evidence will be ignored, because, well, "They weren't there, it couldn't have been them". 

Yep. And I am well read enough to recognize every one of your examples.... But the sad tale is this: IT WAS THEM. They did it all long before we did.

And the truth suffers. It's a crying shame.

I'm a bit of a heretic as an archaeologist, and far from the only one, and only now is that beginning to gain ground and let the evidence (once carefully verified to not be some elaborate hoax) do the talking.

People have done amazing things. People have crossed oceans on rafts, in rowboats, and reed boats, in the last 100 years, what's to keep them from doing it then?

I am more than a heretic - I am a flat-out skeptic. Especially wrt Archaeology. Pompous windbags, lying through their teeth.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

I am more than a heretic - I am a flat-out skeptic. Especially wrt Archaeology. Pompous windbags, lying through their teeth.

Wait a minnute!!   Do you mean to say that taking a single bone fragment and extrapolating an entire civilization from it just might not be an exact science?
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online roamer_1

Wait a minnute!!   Do you mean to say that taking a single bone fragment and extrapolating an entire civilization from it just might not be an exact science?

Gee, ya think?

:beer:

Oceander

Walking across the Bering land bridge is not exactly placidly sitting still. 

Offline Smokin Joe

Walking across the Bering land bridge is not exactly placidly sitting still.
Never said it was. Not traveling more than twenty miles in your lifetime from your village pretty much is. Some people have it, some don't, but those that do ever want to know what is beyond the current horizon.

C S Lewis