Author Topic: Theresa May: UK response to terrorism must ‘change’  (Read 589 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Theresa May: UK response to terrorism must ‘change’
« on: June 04, 2017, 06:51:35 pm »
Theresa May: UK response to terrorism must ‘change’

June 4, 2017

In light of three attacks in three months, British prime minister says ‘enough is enough.’

LONDON — Britain’s response to terrorism must change, Prime Minister Theresa May said Sunday after terrorists struck central London on Saturday night.

“There is, to be frank, far too much tolerance of extremism in our society,” she said.

Speaking outside Downing Street after she chaired a meeting of Cobra, the government’s emergency committee, May said the U.K.’s general election will go ahead as planned on Thursday despite the suspension of campaigning in response to the attack.

“When it comes to taking on extremism and terrorism things have to change,” she said, indicating potential changes to sentences for terrorism offences; a crackdown on what she called “safe spaces” for extremist attitudes in U.K. society; and measures to stop extremists from recruiting people online.

The prime minister signalled a crackdown on Islamist extremism in the U.K., insisting that it had been “tolerated” for too long. Declaring “enough is enough” May said new powers could be rushed through for the security services, as well as longer prison sentences for known fanatics and new measures to remove internet “safe spaces” for extremist sympathizers.

“This is the third terrorist attack Britain has experienced in the last three months,” she noted, adding that the incident was not linked to last month’s suicide bombing in Manchester, but warned it was part of a “new trend.”

“We cannot and must not pretend that things can continue to carry on as they are,” she said. “Enough is enough.”

However, the prime minister said national campaigning would resume Monday and the general election would go ahead as planned on Thursday.

snip

http://www.politico.eu/article/theresa-may-uk-response-to-terrorism-must-change/
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline truth_seeker

Re: Theresa May: UK response to terrorism must ‘change’
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 06:54:55 pm »
Something near 40% of London, are muslims. The mayor is muslim.

The peaceful muslims in London and in the UK, must have a split allegiance.

--On one hand they perhaps rejoice in their growing numbers, power etc.

--OTOH they don't want to get murdered along the way.

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 06:57:15 pm »
Something near 40% of London, are muslims. The mayor is muslim.

The peaceful muslims in London and in the UK, must have a split allegiance.

--On one hand they perhaps rejoice in their growing numbers, power etc.

--OTOH they don't want to get murdered along the way.

I think you may have misread the statistics.  About 12% or so of Londons population is nominally Muslim, not 40%.  About 40% of English Muslims live in London.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 07:11:02 pm »
It should be noted how indiscriminately Muslims murder people. When these terrorists are mowing down people by the dozens in the street or on the sidewalk, they do not care who it is they are killing. Terrorists do not care whether those murdered are Muslims or not.

We saw this in Israel. When terrorists would explode a bomb on a bus, on an airplane, in a mall, in a public area, etc., Israel would ask Hamas/PLO, 'What about all the Muslims you killing when you do this?' The response, as I remember it was, 'These are sacrifices to Allah.'

Which is a roundabout way of saying, 'We don't give a shit.'
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 07:12:00 pm »
How 'bout giving Nigel Farage your job, Theresa,  there's the 'change' for you.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 07:31:22 pm »
I think you may have misread the statistics.  About 12% or so of Londons population is nominally Muslim, not 40%.  About 40% of English Muslims live in London.

My bad. Everything is cool in London, in England, in the UK, and with islam.

* I would like to think the Brits are still made of the same stuff, that went into action to get their stranded troops back from Dunkirk.

But I have doubts.

"According to one survey from 2006, around 81% of Muslims think of themselves as Muslim first."

and

"On religious issues a poll reported that 36% of 16- to 24-year-olds believe if a Muslim converts to another religion they should be punished by death, compared to 19% of 55+ year old Muslims. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_the_United_Kingdom

Wingnut

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 08:04:22 pm »
Don't hold your breath for any changes.  Just move the flowers and Teddy Bears from Manchester to the London Bridge.

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 08:06:46 pm »
My bad. Everything is cool in London, in England, in the UK, and with islam.

* I would like to think the Brits are still made of the same stuff, that went into action to get their stranded troops back from Dunkirk.

But I have doubts.

"According to one survey from 2006, around 81% of Muslims think of themselves as Muslim first."

and

"On religious issues a poll reported that 36% of 16- to 24-year-olds believe if a Muslim converts to another religion they should be punished by death, compared to 19% of 55+ year old Muslims. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_the_United_Kingdom

Sorry if I offended you by correcting your figures, but using the wrong figures wrecks the rest of your argument whether one agrees with it or not. 

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 03:47:36 am »
ISIS and radical Islam has been very clear. They are at war with the west....

There is not one western nation that has officially recognized this simple fact...

"Enough is enough"  or "Change" bullshit,,,

As long as Europe, and the US  to a lesser extent, are dependent on Middle Eastern oil we continue to fund our own destruction.  Its not a coincidence that the camel jockeys have the financial means to carry out these attacks..gotta spend those bucks .

In my view it is not the partsian blame game, nor western niavite, nor misguided foriegn policy...the problem is us..

Would Americans pay 5 or 10 bucks a gallon for gas  for a few years and rely totally on domestic production  to dry up radical Islams funding source..not a chance.

Until we, as a nation, are prepared to implement a war footing with our economy the claims of the politicians are nothing more than their usual farts in the wind

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 04:18:13 am »
ISIS and radical Islam has been very clear. They are at war with the west....

There is not one western nation that has officially recognized this simple fact...

"Enough is enough"  or "Change" bullshit,,,

As long as Europe, and the US  to a lesser extent, are dependent on Middle Eastern oil we continue to fund our own destruction.  Its not a coincidence that the camel jockeys have the financial means to carry out these attacks..gotta spend those bucks .

In my view it is not the partsian blame game, nor western niavite, nor misguided foriegn policy...the problem is us..

Would Americans pay 5 or 10 bucks a gallon for gas  for a few years and rely totally on domestic production  to dry up radical Islams funding source..not a chance.

Until we, as a nation, are prepared to implement a war footing with our economy the claims of the politicians are nothing more than their usual farts in the wind

You're proposing what, exactly?

That we set up a blockade and start sinking Chinese ships that are coming to pick up the oil that we thoughtfully cheapened for them?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 05:34:27 am »
You're proposing what, exactly?

That we set up a blockade and start sinking Chinese ships that are coming to pick up the oil that we thoughtfully cheapened for them?

I'm proposing that the US docent import a drop of oil and will selectively export the excess. China and others who cant be trusted will have their contracts terminated. We set a goal 5-10 years out and honor it..

Pipe dreams  i know  :whistle:
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 05:35:00 am by montanajoe »