Author Topic: Study of the past suggests Earth's rain belts may shift farther north  (Read 812 times)

rangerrebew

Study of the past suggests Earth's rain belts may shift farther north
June 2, 2017 by Bob Yirka report

(Phys.org)—A pair of researchers with the University of Maine and Columbia University has conducted a study of the past to make predictions about rainfall patterns in coming years. In their paper published in the journal Science Advances, Aaron Putnam and Wallace Broecker outline their study and offer three ways they believe planetary warming might influence the global distribution of rainfall.

As the planet heats up due to greenhouse gas emissions, it is logical to assume that there will be more rainfall—warmer air holds more moisture. But where will that moisture fall, and will some areas actually see less? That is what planetary scientists are trying to figure out. In this new effort, the research pair studied a period during which the planet was warming after a cool spell to learn more about future rainfall distribution.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-06-earth-belts-shift-north.html#jCp

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The vast majority of northern hemisphere rivers flow south. Irrigate.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DB

I hate this crap.

"As the planet heats up due to greenhouse gas emissions ..."

Is stated as an already known conclusion according to these "science" publications yet actual science doesn't support that conclusion. As far as I'm concerned that poisons the rest of the article.

Offline Smokin Joe

I hate this crap.

"As the planet heats up due to greenhouse gas emissions ..."

Is stated as an already known conclusion according to these "science" publications yet actual science doesn't support that conclusion. As far as I'm concerned that poisons the rest of the article.
Yep. It might as well say: "As the atmosphere converts to ammonia and argon..."

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline The_Reader_David

Actually, the rain belt shift in warmer periods has nothing to do with with the the warming is caused by greenhouse gasses, reduced solar magnetism resulting in more cloud formation, or soot from coal burning in China, India and Russia changing the Arctic albedo (my own preferred explanation, since only it explains what has been observed -- Arctic warming and Antarctic cooling).
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Smokin Joe

Actually, the rain belt shift in warmer periods has nothing to do with with the the warming is caused by greenhouse gasses, reduced solar magnetism resulting in more cloud formation, or soot from coal burning in China, India and Russia changing the Arctic albedo (my own preferred explanation, since only it explains what has been observed -- Arctic warming and Antarctic cooling).
Soot might be part of it, but I'd give volcanoes their credit due.

C S Lewis