Author Topic: Anti-Trump rioters didn’t expect to face decades in prison for inauguration day riots  (Read 1310 times)

rangerrebew

Anti-Trump rioters didn’t expect to face decades in prison for inauguration day riots
June 3, 2017 | Scott Morefield | Print Article   

Turns out, the 212 anti-fascist and Black-Bloc anarchist protesters arrested for felony rioting during President Trump’s inauguration could face a lot more than the 10 years in prison and $25,000 fine they were originally looking at.

According to Al Jazeera, the Superior Court of the District of Columbia added a few more charges to the mix on April 27, including conspiracy to riot, urging to riot, and destruction property – charges that, if they stick, could add several decades to the original potential sentence.

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2017/06/03/anti-trump-rioters-didnt-expect-face-decades-prison-inauguration-day-riots-498300
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 01:17:07 pm by rangerrebew »

Oceander

Good for them. 

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Good for them.
Backwards, as it is good for us.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline skeeter

I'd pay to watch the sentencings.

Offline goatprairie

Not just prison sentences but work details.....breaking rocks somewhere, clearing brush from roadside ditches, all with a ball and chain around their legs.

Offline dfwgator

Not just prison sentences but work details.....breaking rocks somewhere, clearing brush from roadside ditches, all with a ball and chain around their legs.

Those potholes in the roads, just aren't going to fix themselves.

Offline Joe Wooten

One of them was whining to a reporter right after he was arrested that those who hired him to riot abandoned him to face the charges. He expected the backers (probably Soros) to push the prosecutors/judges to either not file charges, or go easy on them.

Wingnut

Those potholes in the roads, just aren't going to fix themselves.

Shaking the tree boss...shakin the tree

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Potential sentences are a long way from actual sentences.

Most will likely see a few months of cot time at most.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Potential sentences are a long way from actual sentences.

Most will likely see a few months of cot time at most.

Right... if they were rioting in Tennessee or Texas, long sentences might be a possibility. But in DC, I don't it.

Offline mountaineer

These children can't (or don't want to) grasp that they may exercise their First Amendment rights all they want -  but without violence, property damage and personal injury.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sweetiepiezer

WINNING!!! WINNING!!! WINNING!!!!

:patriot: :beer: :patriot:

TRUMP  :da man: :flag:

Wingnut

Right... if they were rioting in Tennessee or Texas, long sentences might be a possibility. But in DC, I don't it.

Correct me but aren't  these are federal charges so they will be in front of a fed judge...not some DC elected lackie

Offline Cripplecreek

Its a federal jurisdiction but it still doesn't matter. Prosecutors warn of the worst possible sentence if a plea deal isn't reached. A deal is reached and nobody does more than 18 months total and we accuse the prosecutors and judges of being in Obama's pocket.

Offline goatprairie

what we have here is failure to communicate....some people you just can't reason with....
I can see a huge need for a lot of holes to be dug and filled in again.  A few days in the box until morale improves...until they get their minds right.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

One of them was whining to a reporter right after he was arrested that those who hired him to riot abandoned him to face the charges. He expected the backers (probably Soros) to push the prosecutors/judges to either not file charges, or go easy on them.
Aren't the people who hired him complicit in breaking the law and should be jailed as well?

No different than hiring a gunman to have someone killed.

Wonder when that will begin.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Its a federal jurisdiction but it still doesn't matter. Prosecutors warn of the worst possible sentence if a plea deal isn't reached. A deal is reached and nobody does more than 18 months total and we accuse the prosecutors and judges of being in Obama's pocket.

My understanding was that even though it's federal jurisdiction, the federal judges often reflect the politics of where the offense occurred. I could be wrong though.

Offline Cripplecreek

My understanding was that even though it's federal jurisdiction, the federal judges often reflect the politics of where the offense occurred. I could be wrong though.

They often hand things over to local courts even in the case of much more serious crimes. A few years ago a man murdered his wife at Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore (Shoved her off a cliff). It was clear federal jurisdiction but the feds handed it over to the state of Michigan for trial.

In this case if it were charged as terrorism or espionage etc, the feds would be sure to take it up.

Offline kidd

Hmmm.
Sounds like some of these protestors might be interested in a reduced sentence in exchange for testimony to put some of these backers in jail.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand

We have have here is failure to communicate.

I tried to go easy on the rioters but they didn't want to go the easy way.  So we'll do it the hard way.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
These children can't (or don't want to) grasp that they may exercise their First Amendment rights all they want -  but without violence, property damage and personal injury.
Maybe if their helicopter parents had actually given them a spanking when they were little, they'd understand there are consequences for misbehaviour.  :judge:

Interesting too, how loyal their employers are:

under the bus888
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis