Author Topic: Climate deal exposes areas where Israel, Republicans radically depart  (Read 761 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

Climate deal exposes areas where Israel, Republicans radically depart
Times of Israel, May 2, 2017, Ben Sales

After President Trump announced the United States’ withdrawal from the Paris accords, the landmark 2015 agreement to fight global warming, Israeli Energy Minister Yuval Steinitz joined the chorus of international leaders criticizing his decision.

“Even if there’s a 50 percent likelihood that climate change and global warming are caused by human activity, it is our duty to act to minimize risks,” Steinitz posted on Facebook Thursday, the same day as Trump’s announcement. “The Paris accords were a rare occurrence in which the world united — save for Syria and Nicaragua — to care for the welfare and health of future generations.”

Like the US, Israel has a right-leaning government. The American and Israeli governments appear to agree on the dangers of extremist Islamism, and their leaders have heaped praise on each other with regards to everything from military action to economic policy.

But Israel’s stance on climate change shows that, in some ways, it’s more like the rest of the world than like the United States.

Fighting climate change is one of many domestic issues that’s politicized in the US but is supported by the right-wing in Israel and elsewhere. Shared feelings between Republicans and Likudniks on halting Iran’s nuclear ambitions don’t extend to contentious domestic issues in America like gun control, universal health care or abortion.

For example, despite mandatory military conscription, private gun ownership is a privilege with strict limits in Israel, not a right. Last year, Netanyahu’s government trumpeted its expansion of federally funded health benefits. Abortion in Israel is covered by health insurance and available in 99 percent of cases. The closest thing Israel has to an American-style pro-life group is a nonprofit called Efrat, which offers financial support to dissuade women from abortion, but which does not campaign for legislative restrictions.

Netanyahu and Trump may be engaged in a public lovefest when it comes to combating terrorism in the Middle East. But as for the future of the planet, Israel is standing with everyone from Lebanon to Luxembourg — and not with the United States.

More: http://www.timesofisrael.com/climate-deal-exposes-areas-where-israel-republicans-radically-depart/

Offline Suppressed

American Christians have a infatuation with Israel that's not mutual, and they generally have a poor understanding of Israel.  And, U.S. Christians Support Israel More Than Israeli Christians...

In 2013, 82 percent of white evangelicals said God gave the land of Israel to the Jewish people.

But the [Pew] survey found only 19 percent of Christians born, raised and living in Israel believe the same. Sixty-six percent believe that's not literally true, and 9 percent said they don't know what to think. -- http://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/world/2016/march/u-s-christians-support-israel-more-than-israeli-christians   
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Oceander

American Christians have a infatuation with Israel that's not mutual, and they generally have a poor understanding of Israel.  And, U.S. Christians Support Israel More Than Israeli Christians...

Ok.  But is that entirely germane to the subject at hand?

Offline Suppressed

Ok.  But is that entirely germane to the subject at hand?

If you read more than the headline, yes.  I know, I know...I violate the rules by actually reading the stories before posting sometimes.  ^-^
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Oceander

If you read more than the headline, yes.  I know, I know...I violate the rules by actually reading the stories before posting sometimes.  ^-^

I did, and no, I still don't really see the connection.   

Offline Suppressed

Fighting climate change is one of many domestic issues that’s politicized in the US but is supported by the right-wing in Israel and elsewhere. Shared feelings between Republicans and Likudniks on halting Iran’s nuclear ambitions don’t extend to contentious domestic issues in America like gun control, universal health care or abortion.

Much of the Christian right wing in the US really have no clue about Israel.   There were some interesting videos doing man-on-the-street videos comparing US Christian views of Israelis with the reverse.  Many Israelis loath (or have no thoughts on) the US Christians who think they love them. Same with any idea of "kinship".

We have a few intersections of policy, such as regional strength, and they are a great ally.  But that doesn't mean our right and their right align.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 02:14:42 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++