Author Topic: A Cult without a Legacy  (Read 1196 times)

Online corbe

A Cult without a Legacy
« on: June 01, 2017, 04:24:00 pm »
A Cult without a Legacy

The cult grows more effusive as the disappointments mount.

Noah Rothman  / May 31, 2017

Conservatives who have yet to fall obsequiously in line behind Donald Trump are emerging in droves to respond to columnist and radio host Dennis Prager, who recently demand that they abandon their skepticism of the president and “report for duty.” In Prager’s estimation, Trump is a general in a new American “civil war,” and conservatives are his foot soldiers. In fact, the only distinction between the president’s supporters and those who have yet to accept him as their Great Helmsman is the degree to which those on the right have come to accept the inevitability of this new internecine conflict.

The responses to Prager’s column from those he allegedly set out to persuade are as enlightening as they are voluminous. Items by Jonah Goldberg, David French, Erick Erickson, Dan McLaughlin, Jay Cost, and Matt Lewis criticized the radio host for, among other things, indulging in some bizarrely starry-eyed veneration of a particularly fallible man.

By applying social pressure to the uninitiated, Prager exposed his own discomfort with his mission. These obstinately righteous holdouts represent a cruel reminder of the morally uncompromising crusaders who once typified the conservative movement. As Lewis noted, Donald Trump’s following seems increasingly inclined toward sycophantic hyperbole in defense of the president’s debatable accomplishments. Perhaps more disturbing, their praise for Trump has grown exponentially more cloying as this administration falters.

<..snip..>

https://www.commentarymagazine.com/politics-ideas/a-cult-written-in-sand-donald-trump/

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: A Cult without a Legacy
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 04:29:38 pm »
Items by Jonah Goldberg, David French, Erick Erickson, Dan McLaughlin, Jay Cost, and Matt Lewis

I couldn't compile a better list of ineffectual pseudo-intellectuals who bang out nothing but whine pieces day after day to get a paycheck.   

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 04:45:10 pm »
With Donald Trump’s presidency nearing the six-month mark, his most unambiguously successful and lasting accomplishment so far is the appointment of Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court. 

...The entire Republican agenda is stalled, and the GOP appears to be drifting toward the 2018 midterm election cycle with nothing to run on besides a uniquely unpopular presidency. Every midterm election in this century, save 2002, has been a disaster for the party in control of the White House. If Democrats gain just 24 House seats, which would only be a modest haul for a party benefiting from tailwinds, the legislative phase of the Trump era will be over.
[/i]

Perhaps we will see that Trump is more able to work with a Democrat-controlled House to achieve 'winning', which would be in keeping with his personality and character.  It doesn't matter what kind of 'deal' is made, only that one is made so a checkmark can be placed in the 'win' box.

Appealing to a cult of personality is a common means of distracting from failure and compelling cohesion among otherwise dispirited true believers.

Lots of that going on.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 04:49:50 pm »
Items by Jonah Goldberg, David French, Erick Erickson, Dan McLaughlin, Jay Cost, and Matt Lewis

I couldn't compile a better list of ineffectual pseudo-intellectuals who bang out nothing but whine pieces day after day to get a paycheck.

At least they aren't your average logic choppers. 

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 11:06:59 pm »
From the article:

Appealing to a cult of personality is a common means of distracting from failure and compelling cohesion among otherwise dispirited true believers. Eventually, though, the cult comes apart. The monuments are torn down and the revisionism is done away with. On its present course, the Trump era won’t even leave these durable edifices in its wake. Its memory will be washed away with the tide, leaving only those who debased themselves as its legacy.

Political philosophy invites you to think. Politics invites you to check your brains at the door. Cults of personality
invite you to leave the house without your brains in the first place.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 11:12:02 pm »

Not such a bad way to make a pretty penny. 

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 11:14:40 pm »
Not such a bad way to make a pretty penny.

Either is pimpin', but I don't go to Jerome down on the street corner to solicit advice either.

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 11:16:08 pm »
Either is pimpin', but I don't go to Jerome down on the street corner to solicit advice either.

Utterly different lines of work and pimping is worse than writing whiny articles. 

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 11:17:17 pm »
Utterly different lines of work and pimping is worse than writing whiny articles.
Whiny articles---those that demur from the cult of personality or the political fashions of the hour.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 07:47:46 am »

At least when you deal with pimps there is a payoff at the end of the deal.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 08:38:44 am »
I've never been a big Trump fan but more and more I'm beginning to report for duty and become a foot soldier.

Six months in and his accomplishments have been nothing short of remarkable.  Yesterday alone, the American lower classes received a 2nd Independence Day at the hand of the Trumpster when he walked away from the Paris climate chains.  His rebuke of this one-sided onerous boondoggle will benefit small business, the middle class and the poor.  It's a huge win all the way around unless you are a globalist or huge corporation, who are all howling like wounded wolves right about now.  And when the wolves are howling and the sheep are smiling you know it's a win for the little guy.

One segment of the population particularly affected by Trump's accomplishments is the Hispanic community.  Though you'll never read it anyplace but right here, the Hispanic community has many reasons to celebrate the progress Trump has made over such a short period of time.  As a group they are unusually hard working and very entrepreneurial, then toss in the fact that many Hispanic small businesses are owned by women. Trump's numerous pro-woman stances have not been lost on them one bit.  They are paying close attention.

Trump's accomplishments are even more remarkable when you consider the nearly impenetrable brick wall he is exploding through each and every day.  The liberal media's air strikes are constantly pounding him from every angle, and I include the Wall Street Journal in this group by the way.  Corporate globalists and their paid K-street henchmen are working overtime to sabotage Trump at every turn.  The majority of the Republican party including their poorly named moderate saboteurs are performing backflips in order to destroy this administration from within.  And let's not forget the Deep State who is dusting off plans that provide the blueprint for creating maximum civil unrest.  Prager's use of the term “civil war” is not exaggerated one bit in my opinion.

This foot soldier is reporting for duty.