Author Topic: U.S. ranked the 114th most peaceful nation on earth says annual global ranking  (Read 862 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
U.S. ranked the 114th most peaceful nation on earth says annual global ranking
Iceland is at the top of the heap

By Jennifer Harper - The Washington Times - Thursday, June 1, 2017

Land of the free, home of the brave - but America may not be the most peaceful spot on earth according to the 11th annual “Global Peace Index,” which bases judgement calls on a complex gauge of social, economic and political factors, including rates of homicide and terrorism activities.

The U.S. is now at No. 114, falling 11 places in the last year, the analysis says. Armenia and Rwanda are just in front of America on the list, El Salvador and China follow.

“Iceland remains the most peaceful country in the world, a position it has held since 2008. It is joined at the top of the index by New Zealand, Portugal, Austria, and Denmark. There was also very little change at the bottom of the index. Syria remains the least peaceful country in the world, followed by Afghanistan, Iraq, South Sudan, and Yemen,” the report said.

Most U.S. allies are in the top-20 of the index, including Canada, Japan, Australia, Ireland and Germany. The United Kingdom is at No. 41, however.

Continued: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jun/1/us-ranked-the-114th-most-peaceful-nation-on-earth-/

Not sure what to make of this, I would need to look at their criteria. Drudge posted this, so I am posting it.  From what I know, there are something like around 210-225 nations; but there might be a lot more and some are small island nations like Seychelles, etc.

Offline Frank Cannon

Thanks Liberal think tank for telling us what you think. Now go back to grovelling for money from your Leftist rich donors.

Oceander

It's all in the criteria they use and how they define terms.  I recall a UN study that ranked the US really low on quality of health care because it defined quality in part by whether subsidized or free coverage was provided, without regard to outcomes or actual quality of care provided.  Once that little political item was removed, the US did quite well. 

I'm sure something similar is at play here.