Author Topic: S&P, Moody's Downgrade Illinois to Near Junk, Lowest Ever for a U.S. State  (Read 1436 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
S&P, Moody's Downgrade Illinois to Near Junk, Lowest Ever for a U.S. State

by Elizabeth Campbell  June‎ ‎1‎, ‎2017‎ ‎7‎:‎41‎ ‎AM Updated on ‎June‎ ‎1‎, ‎2017‎ ‎12‎:‎23‎ ‎PM

Illinois had its bond rating downgraded to one step above junk by Moody’s Investors Service and S&P Global Ratings, the lowest ranking on record for a U.S. state, as the long-running political stalemate over the budget shows no signs of ending.

S&P warned that Illinois will likely lose its investment-grade status, an unprecedented step for a state, around July 1 if leaders haven’t agreed on a budget that chips away at the government’s chronic deficits. Moody’s followed S&P’s downgrade Thursday, citing Illinois’s underfunded pensions and the record backlog of bills that are equivalent to about 40 percent of its operating budget.

“Legislative gridlock has sidetracked efforts not only to address pension needs but also to achieve fiscal balance,” Ted Hampton, Moody’s analyst, said in a statement. “During the past year of fruitless negotiations and partisan wrangling, fundamental credit challenges have intensified enough to warrant a downgrade, regardless of whether a fiscal compromise is reached.”

Illinois hasn’t had a full year budget in place for the past two years amid a clash between the Democrat-run legislature and Republican Governor Bruce Rauner. That’s left the fifth most-populous state with a record $14.5 billion of unpaid bills, ravaged entities like universities and social service providers that rely on state aid and undermined Illinois’s standing in the bond market, where investors have demanded higher premiums for the risk of owning its debt. Moody’s called Illinois “an outlier among states” after suffering eight downgrades in as many years.

"The rating actions largely reflect the severe deterioration of Illinois’ fiscal condition, a byproduct of its stalemated budget negotiations," S&P analyst Gabriel Petek said in a statement. “The unrelenting political brinkmanship now poses a threat to the timely payment of the state’s core priority payments."

snip

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-01/illinois-bonds-cut-to-one-step-above-junk-by-s-p-over-stalemate
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Is anyone surprised?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
The governor probably had plenty to say today about leaving Paris deal, etc.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Wingnut

The governor probably had plenty to say today about leaving Paris deal, etc.

The Gov is not the problem in Illinois.

Offline Frank Cannon

Is anyone surprised?

I am. I figured they would be bankrupt by now and auctioning pieces of the state off on Ebay to cover the light bill.