Author Topic: How one teen's $12,000,000 annual medical bills bankrupted Iowa's Obamacare marketplace (my title)  (Read 705 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/06/01/iowa-teens-1-million-per-month-illness-no-longer-secret/360919001/

Iowa teen’s $1 million-per-month illness no longer a secret
by Tony Leys
The Des Moines Register
June 1, 2017

Somewhere in Iowa, a teenager with a severe bleeding disorder holds the answer to a nationally debated riddle: How could anyone rack up more than $1 million per month in medical bills?

The case reportedly contributed to Iowa’s largest health insurer, Wellmark Blue Cross & Blue Shield, deciding to stop selling such policies here next year, which led the state’s other two main carriers to say they probably also will pull out of Iowa's individual insurance market.

The patient is a teenage boy who has hemophilia, a genetic disorder that prevents the blood from clotting, Wellmark Executive Vice President Laura Jackson told more than 100 people who attended a recent presentation to the Des Moines Rotary Club.

Wellmark leaders have said they don't fault the patient or his family for the cost of his care, and they're glad it's helping to keep him alive. But they said the cost needs to be spread across a bigger pool than the 30,000 Iowans who are in the individual-insurance pool he's in.

(excerpt)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Frank Cannon

Wellmark leaders have said they don't fault the patient or his family for the cost of his care, and they're glad it's helping to keep him alive. But they said the cost needs to be spread across a bigger pool than the 30,000 Iowans who are in the individual-insurance pool he's in.

And I'm sure there are many in that 30,000 person pool who have their own problems to deal with than to take money they probably don't have to keep the system afloat.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

Two questions come to my mind:

1. Why does the treatment cost so much?

2. What is a rational limit of other peoples,' to be spent by insurance to prolong the life of a seriously ill patient?

We do know that around 1/2 of medical expenditures come in the last few month's of the lives of the elderly.

My MIL died May 15th. She was 90, and had undergone a 13 hour surgery 28 days prior. She died from one of several complications.

She had neuropathy, diabetes, a pacemaker, nearly deaf. Her mind was sharp. She and her children made an informed decision for her to have the surgery.

She was being treated for a rare type of cancer. The initial diagnosis was for surgery, but the doctor said she should instead have radiation, since he warned she might not survive surgery.

She did several weeks of painful radiation, but it did not stop the tumor's growth. Hence the next option in finding a surgeon that would do the surgery.

I watched all of this from the distance of near family, by marriage. She stayed in my home often during her last few years. She complained just a little about her various health problems.

We miss her. But she generated some very big costs for her insurance carrier, those last few months.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln