Author Topic: CNN Touts Need to Remove Beef from Diet to Fight Climate Change  (Read 3326 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: CNN Touts Need to Remove Beef from Diet to Fight Climate Change
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2017, 06:44:01 pm »
Didn't they outlaw charcoal grilling in parts of Cali some time back?

Yup and wood burning stoves and fire pits.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2017, 08:07:49 pm »
Indeed...more demand than there is supply.

Is there?

Remember, 30 years ago we were paying farmers not to grow corn, to artificially keep the price up.  No shortage back then.

The average price of corn over the last 10 years has been slightly higher than the fifty year average, but the 10 years before the average was lower.  Did something ethanol related happen during that time that would effect the price of corn?

One thing did.  Between 2012 and 2015 the ethanol mandate doubled.  The price of corn also fell by half during that time.

Something else (AFAIK) non-ethanol related also happened over the last decade or so.  The price of fertilizer exploded.  Just an interesting example I picked up looking at the numbers.

Looking further back, between 1979 and 1986, US ethanol production went from 20 million to 750 million gallons.  The price of corn during that time?  Lower at any point in 1986 than any point in 1979, with the low in the fall of 1986 being a third of the peak in winter of 1980.

I'm not a farmer, just a guy looking at economic stats.   "Common sense" says that if we force people to buy a commodity it will drive up the price of other products dependent on that commodity.  But is there economic data to back up that assumption?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Wingnut

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2017, 08:19:43 pm »
Yup and wood burning stoves .

They hate on the Franklin!

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2017, 08:27:26 pm »
Yup and wood burning stoves and fire pits.

EPA has banned the production and sale of over 80 percent of America’s wood-burning stoves

Stoves that don’t meet the stringent carbon emission criteria cannot be traded in for updated types, but instead must be rendered inoperable, destroyed, or recycled as scrap metal.

Like I said in another thread, they want us to become North Korea.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2017, 09:56:46 pm »
Are there no sacred cows anymore?
Sure there are - in India, where some want the penalty to be raised from three years in prison to life.

Cattle sale ban leads to beef fests in India
Protests have erupted in many places against the Indian government's ban on sale of cattle for slaughter. Many say the new order violates the basic right of people to choose what they eat.

Days after India's federal government imposed a nationwide ban on the sale and purchase of cattle for slaughter, the Madras High Court in the southern state of Tamil Nadu stepped in to suspend the order for four weeks. It further asked Prime Minister Narendra Modi's Bharatiya Janata Party-led government to give reasons as to why its order should not be scrapped. 
The petitioners, both residents of the southern city of Madurai, argued the new rules should be canceled as the provisions went against the Constitution, "breached the cardinal principle of federalism" and was against the fundamental rights of citizens.

In another development, the High Court in the northern state of Rajasthan on Wednesday recommended that the cow should be declared the national animal of India and also suggested that punishment for cow slaughter should be raised from the current three years imprisonment to a life term.

They highlight how the cow has been thrown into the center of Indian politics.
Last week, the Indian government passed new rules that buyers and sellers at cattle markets or animal fairs will have to pledge in writing that the animals, which are considered holy by many Hindus, will not be slaughtered for food or any other purpose. The regulation covers bulls, bullocks, cows, buffalos, steers, heifers and calves, as well as camels.

The issue has snowballed into a national controversy, prompting criticism from some state governments and meat exporters.

Anger has been palpable in some southern and northeastern Indian states, where beef and buffalo meat is a common delicacy. The states of Kerala, West Bengal, Meghalaya and Puducherry, which allowed cow slaughter, have said they will resist the ban.

In Kerala, protesters slaughtered an ox in public over the weekend, triggering outrage and counter demonstrations by BJP activists where cows were adorned with flowers. Over 300 beef festivals have also been held across the state.

Even at the prestigious Indian Institute of Technology in Tamil Nadu's capital Chennai, around 80 students participated in a "beef fest."

"It is anti-federal, anti-democratic and an anti-secular move. This is nothing but an attempt to usurp power from the state governments. We will oppose it completely," said Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan. He has written to all non-BJP ruled states to oppose the ban.
http://www.dw.com/en/cattle-sale-ban-leads-to-beef-fests-in-india/a-39057791
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2017, 12:47:40 am »
Invar wrote:
"Stoves that don’t meet the stringent carbon emission criteria cannot be traded in for updated types, but instead must be rendered inoperable, destroyed, or recycled as scrap metal."

Someone should get that to the attention of the administration.
I think they'd get onto it.

Online DB

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2017, 12:52:13 am »
I think not watching CNN will improve the climate.

Online DB

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2017, 12:54:52 am »
EPA has banned the production and sale of over 80 percent of America’s wood-burning stoves

Stoves that don’t meet the stringent carbon emission criteria cannot be traded in for updated types, but instead must be rendered inoperable, destroyed, or recycled as scrap metal.

Like I said in another thread, they want us to become North Korea.

And meanwhile, one forestry "controlled" burn emits more crap into the atmosphere then all the fireplaces combined...

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2017, 05:13:07 am »
Good.  Maybe the price will come down a tad.  I imagine most envirowhackos don't eat steak anyway.
The word I hear is it will be going up. A Chinese Trade deal is being touted as the reason. https://finance.yahoo.com/news/u-china-accelerate-beef-talks-224526421.html
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2017, 05:25:40 am »
And meanwhile, one forestry "controlled" burn emits more crap into the atmosphere then all the fireplaces combined...
The image I was using for an avatar was not a sunset, but the evening sun shining through smoke from wildfires in NW Montana years ago. That was not a controlled burn, but like many such fires, partly the result of flawed forestry practices.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2017, 05:53:35 am »
IIRC For that to happen the price of corn will need to come down so the cattle ranchers and feed lots can increase their herds.  Right now corn is being diverted to make ethanol instead of animal feed...she the price is high for beef because the feedlots are seeing smaller herds.

Removing ethanol mandates would reduce pollution more than removing beef from our diet.

Wingnut

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2017, 12:44:04 pm »
That was not a controlled burn, but like many such fires, partly the result of flawed forestry practices.

Don't forget the evirowhacho's who oppose any forest logging.  Sometimes you have to save the forest from the trees.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2017, 01:30:51 pm »
Removing ethanol mandates would reduce pollution more than removing beef from our diet.

I think that is probably true.  And, we could probably remove the ethanol mandates without bankrupting any Iowa farmers.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2017, 01:44:40 pm »
Don't forget the evirowhacho's who oppose any forest logging.  Sometimes you have to save the forest from the trees.

It's gotten so stupid that when the logging companies try to go in and cut away and remove charred trees from the fires from the year past...the enviro whacko's sue them in court.

That and under Clinton a lot of the roads that in the past that were used to gain access to areas to cut off the fires and create fire breaks were put off limits.

I seem to remember some dozer operator getting into trouble for creating a road for fire trucks to get down to cut off a fire that was spreading.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Wingnut

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2017, 01:55:55 pm »
Recent treehugger tactics are more insidious.  The preform bioblitz's.  They bus in hordes to tramp/e thu the woods looking  to gather evidence of a  threatened or endangered species.  If they have to they will manufacture evidence to support their cause.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2017, 01:56:14 pm »

So they are worried about the methane.
Imagine all the methane released if they all started dying off around the same time frame?

Cow farts don't have a single dang thing to do with it.

Have y'all ever been around a buffalo? Their 'emissions' are EPIC. Stunning, even.

And the entire great plains used to be thick with buffalo - Herds that took days to pass by. Our cattle don't even come close in numbers.

Wingnut

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2017, 02:02:05 pm »

Have y'all ever been around a buffalo? Their 'emissions' are EPIC. Stunning, even.

And the entire great plains used to be thick with buffalo - Herds that took days to pass by. Our cattle don't even come close in numbers.

So that's why Roger Miller said Ya can't roller skate there.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2017, 02:05:21 pm »
Cow farts don't have a single dang thing to do with it.

One of many things Liberals are good at is playing on people's general lack of historical knowledge.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2017, 02:07:42 pm »
I don't know about climate change, but it's a fairly cool, sunny day in my neck o' the woods. It will be a lovely evening for grilling filet mignon. Bon appetit.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online roamer_1

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2017, 02:09:30 pm »
So that's why Roger Miller said Ya can't roller skate there.

Roger Miller was a wise man - His statement is profoundly true, and seems to come from direct experience.
While I am no expert on the function and form of rollerskating, I can certainly confirm Mr. Miller's report.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 02:10:03 pm by roamer_1 »

Wingnut

« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2017, 02:15:16 pm »
Roger Miller was a wise man - His statement is profoundly true, and seems to come from direct experience.
While I am no expert on the function and form of rollerskating, I can certainly confirm Mr. Miller's report.

Agreed.  It goes to show you "you can be happy if you've a mind to!"
 :seeya: