Author Topic: Wasserman Schultz Admits Hill IT Security Violations, Blames House Administrators For Not Stopping Her [VIDEO]  (Read 1218 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Florida Democratic Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, whose office equipment U.S. Capitol Police seized in a criminal investigation into congressional network security violations, admitted she violates official information security policy and blamed the House’s chief administrative officer for not stopping her.

In a May 17 appropriations hearing on Congress’ administrative budget, Wasserman Shultz said she had violated the policies “for years and years and years.” She also sought to find out how much House authorities might know about her internet usage, asking “Are members monitored?”

Police are investigating Wasserman Schultz’s longtime information technology (IT) aide Imran Awan for theft and funneling congressional data from members of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, Committee on Homeland Security and Committee on Foreign Affairs.

Yet Wasserman Schultz lashed out at investigators and changed Awan’s title to “adviser” instead of firing him after House authorities banned him from the network. She resigned as Democratic National Committee (DNC) Chairman in July 2016 after unidentified hackers accessed the DNC’s emails, which Wikileaks later published.

More: http://dailycaller.com/2017/05/31/wasserman-schultz-admits-hill-it-security-violations-blames-house-administrators-for-not-stopping-her-video/

@Bigun  Something new for you, my brother.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Florida Democratic Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, whose office equipment U.S. Capitol Police seized in a criminal investigation into congressional network security violations, admitted she violates official information security policy and blamed the House’s chief administrative officer for not stopping her.

In a May 17 appropriations hearing on Congress’ administrative budget, Wasserman Shultz said she had violated the policies “for years and years and years.” She also sought to find out how much House authorities might know about her internet usage, asking “Are members monitored?”

Police are investigating Wasserman Schultz’s longtime information technology (IT) aide Imran Awan for theft and funneling congressional data from members of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, Committee on Homeland Security and Committee on Foreign Affairs.

Yet Wasserman Schultz lashed out at investigators and changed Awan’s title to “adviser” instead of firing him after House authorities banned him from the network. She resigned as Democratic National Committee (DNC) Chairman in July 2016 after unidentified hackers accessed the DNC’s emails, which Wikileaks later published.

More: http://dailycaller.com/2017/05/31/wasserman-schultz-admits-hill-it-security-violations-blames-house-administrators-for-not-stopping-her-video/

@Bigun  Something new for you, my brother.

All Democrats seem to suffer from a bad case of "nothing is my fault ever"!

Heads should roll over this! Big heads as opposed to lightweights but knowing the swamp as I do, I won't hold my breath waiting for that!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

More from the article:

“If a member is using an application outside of the House infrastructure and the protection of the, [of] our cybersecurity network, they’re in violation of House policy?” she asked John Ramsey, the House’s information security officer at the hearing on the legislative branch’s budget, in the previously unreported May 17 appropriations hearing.

“Of the House Policy 17, yes ma’am,” Ramsey responded.

“So Members are not supposed to be using Dropbox?” Wasserman Shultz asked.

“Not according to the policy,” Ramsey replied.

Wasserman Schultz then blamed House authorities for not stopping her and questioned their commitment to cybersecurity.

Words fail me.

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
I work in cybersecurity - we see this attitude so much that as an industry, we are telling users that THEY are the first step in protecting the organization and that it is THEIR responsibility to follow policy.  Sad that we even have to have the conversation.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
I work in cybersecurity - we see this attitude so much that as an industry, we are telling users that THEY are the first step in protecting the organization and that it is THEIR responsibility to follow policy.  Sad that we even have to have the conversation.

You would think people at this level would be smart enough to KNOW that to begin with!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
You would think people at this level would be smart enough to KNOW that to begin with!

I think that Debbie and Hillary were "willfully ignorant," and expected to get away with it.

To date, it appears they were correct.

It can't realistically be expected to change, until people lose jobs, power, money, status and freedom when they screw up.

They are natural born liars, cheater, thieves. Their air of superiority, entitlement is amazing.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I think that Debbie and Hillary were "willfully ignorant," and expected to get away with it.

To date, it appears they were correct.

It can't realistically be expected to change, until people lose jobs, power, money, status and freedom when they screw up.

They are natural born liars, cheater, thieves. Their air of superiority, entitlement is amazing.

Is it a screw up though? This seems awfully deliberate to be classed as that.

I agree their air of superiority and entitlement is amazing. I also find it rather frightening.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Is it a screw up though? This seems awfully deliberate to be classed as that.

I agree their air of superiority and entitlement is amazing. I also find it rather frightening.

@truth_seeker @EC

Purposeful and fully though out screw up if you ask me and I agree fully that it will only stop when people start having the book thrown at them!

When I was dealing with classified stuff we didn't have these problems because everybody KNEW that Leavenworth was in your future if you screwed whether or not you intended to!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
@truth_seeker @EC

Purposeful and fully though out screw up if you ask me and I agree fully that it will only stop when people start having the book thrown at them!

When I was dealing with classified stuff we didn't have these problems because everybody KNEW that Leavenworth was in your future if you screwed whether or not you intended to!

My military experience reminds me that security clearances and related materials, were serious business.

Thinking back to Hillary's contempt for the military with hubby Bill, it naturally follows she might just arrogantly brush off such concerns as "below her."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Her contempt for the military (and the Secret Service for that matter) is hugely understated.  **nononono*

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
My military experience reminds me that security clearances and related materials, were serious business.

Thinking back to Hillary's contempt for the military with hubby Bill, it naturally follows she might just arrogantly brush off such concerns as "below her."

Well then, as my old boss used to say, she needs an attitude adjustment!

- J. R. R. Tolkien