Author Topic: How hot were the oceans when life first evolved?  (Read 605 times)

rangerrebew

How hot were the oceans when life first evolved?
« on: June 01, 2017, 12:02:52 pm »
How hot were the oceans when life first evolved?
June 1, 2017 by Astrobiology Magazine

We know little about Earth's surface temperatures for the first 4 billion years or so of its history. This presents a limitation into research of life's origins on Earth and also how it might arise on distant worlds as well.

Now researchers suggest that by resurrecting ancient enzymes they could estimate the temperatures in which these organisms likely evolved billions of years ago. The scientists recently published their findings in the journal, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

"We need a better understanding of not only how life first evolved on Earth, but how life and the Earth's environment co-evolved over billions of years of geological history," said lead author Amanda Garcia, a paleogeobiologist at the University of California, Los Angeles. "A similar co-evolution seems certain to be the case for any life elsewhere in the Universe."

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-06-hot-oceans-life-evolved.html#jCp

Offline Suppressed

Re: How hot were the oceans when life first evolved?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 01:05:38 pm »
Modern science fascinates me, with so many novel approaches to questions.  I never had imagined going after ancient enzymes and a line of investigation.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn