Author Topic: NASA Sending Probe to 'Touch' the Sun—Here's Why The sun’s searing heat has made a mission into the star’s atmosphere impossible until now.  (Read 1109 times)

rangerrebew

NASA Sending Probe to 'Touch' the Sun—Here's Why
The sun’s searing heat has made a mission into the star’s atmosphere impossible until now.

By Rachel Hartigan Shea

PUBLISHED May 31, 2017

NASA has embarked on many successful missions—from rocketing astronauts to the moon to launching the first spacecraft to reach interstellar space. But it hasn’t yet sent a mission to the sun. The deterrent? Our nearest star’s searing heat.

The surface of the sun is 10,000°F, but its outer atmosphere—the corona—soars to some 3.5 million degrees Fahrenheit.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/05/explore-space-solar-probe/
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 04:44:31 pm by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

I thought they might do it at night when the sun isn't shining. :silly:

Offline Suppressed

IIANM, the probe will come within about 9 solar radii of the sun's surface... 4,000,000 miles vs a solar radius of 400,000 miles.  I'm wondering whether it will need to store data for later transmission because of interference while close to the sun.

@Freya
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Oceander

IIANM, the probe will come within about 9 solar radii of the sun's surface... 4,000,000 miles vs a solar radius of 400,000 miles.  I'm wondering whether it will need to store data for later transmission because of interference while close to the sun.

@Freya

It will almost certainly have to do that.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
I can't grasp my head around the physics of this one folks, but it will be amazing. Simply amazing.

I'm grateful to be living in these times to see such things,

And yet, I'm flashing back to that episode of Futureama where they go into the sun to rescue the trapped miners.

Gosh, sometimes I think I'm really stupid and/or silly. 

Thank you for the ping @Suppressed
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 10:58:25 am by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Just_Victor

The mission is made possible by a shield constructed from a carbon-carbon composite, which will keep the probe’s instruments safe in the 70-degree range.

That carbon-carbon composite was used for the Shuttle nose cone and wing leading edges.  It's been around since the 70's or earlier.

If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
NASA Sending Probe to 'Touch' the Sun—Here's Why
The sun’s searing heat has made a mission into the star’s atmosphere impossible until now.

By Rachel Hartigan Shea

PUBLISHED May 31, 2017

NASA has embarked on many successful missions—from rocketing astronauts to the moon to launching the first spacecraft to reach interstellar space. But it hasn’t yet sent a mission to the sun. The deterrent? Our nearest star’s searing heat.

The surface of the sun is 10,000°F, but its outer atmosphere—the corona—soars to some 3.5 million degrees Fahrenheit.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/05/explore-space-solar-probe/

Thats only slightly hotter then the center of the earth according to Al Gore.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

Wildly far fetched but kind of a cool movie simply because it was different.