Author Topic: War Without Fear: DepSecDef Work On How AI Changes Conflict  (Read 474 times)

rangerrebew

War Without Fear: DepSecDef Work On How AI Changes Conflict
By Sydney J. Freedberg Jr. on May 31, 2017 at 4:02 AM

APPLIED PHYSICS LABORATORY: “Brothers and sisters, my name is Bob Work, and I have sinned,” the Deputy Secretary of Defense said to laughter. There’s widespread agreement in the military that artificial intelligence, robotics, and human-machine teaming will change the way that war is waged, Work told an AI conference here Thursday, “but I am starting to believe very, very deeply that it is also going to change the nature of war.”

“There’s no greater sin in the profession” than to suggest that new technology could change the “immutable” nature of human conflict, rather than just change the tools with which it’s waged, Work acknowledged. (He wryly noted he’d waited to make this statement until “my boss, the warrior monk, happens to be out of the country”). But Work is both a classically trained Marine Corps officer and the Pentagon’s foremost advocate of artificial intelligence.

http://breakingdefense.com/2017/05/killer-robots-arent-the-problem-its-unpredictable-ai/?_ga=2.85480793.1751301347.1496220494-1771130726.1496220494
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 08:05:29 am by rangerrebew »