Author Topic: Ukraine doctor pioneering 'three-parent' babies  (Read 620 times)

Offline Old Warrior in Exile

Ukraine doctor pioneering 'three-parent' babies
« on: May 31, 2017, 05:35:20 am »
31 May 2017 - 05H20
Ukraine doctor pioneering 'three-parent' babies

KIEV (AFP) -
A 34-year-old woman tried to have a baby for 15 years before she turned to a pioneering doctor in Ukraine and a groundbreaking but ethically disputed "three-parent" procedure.

She became the mother of a healthy baby boy in January at a private clinic in Kiev using a process called pronuclear transfer that inserts the couple's genes into a donor's egg.

The procedure had been previously used to treat serious genetic diseases.

But doctor Valeriy Zukin become the first to use it to help two separate infertile couples have children in this way.

"There are patients whom we cannot help to have their own genetically-related baby unless we use this method," the 60-year-old told AFP at his Nadiya clinic.

Some two million women across the globe use in vitro fertilisation (IVF) to get pregnant every year.

But Zukin's treatment targets a tiny percentage of women whose embryos suffer from a disorder called embryo arrest that can either stunt development or kill them.

The difference in the method Zukin uses is that a woman's egg is first fertilised with her partner's sperm.

Then its nucleus is transferred to a donor's egg that has been stripped of its own nucleus.

The egg is thus almost entirely made up of genetic material from the couple -- plus a tiny amount (about 0.15 percent) from the female donor's DNA.

http://www.france24.com/en/20170531-ukraine-doctor-pioneering-three-parent-babies
Barba non facit philosophum.

Oceander

Re: Ukraine doctor pioneering 'three-parent' babies
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 11:26:29 am »
I'm not sure if I would really call that a three-parent solution. 

Offline Suppressed

Re: Ukraine doctor pioneering 'three-parent' babies
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 03:31:31 pm »
I'm not sure if I would really call that a three-parent solution.

Exactly.   The genetic material is from two parents; the de-nucleated egg is merely a carrier.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn