Author Topic: Canadian privacy threatened by U.S. border searches, watchdog says  (Read 511 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Plans to demand cellphone and social media passwords from foreign visitors at the U.S. border pose a risk to Canadians, the privacy commissioner said Tuesday.

By Jim BronskillThe Canadian Press
Tues., May 30, 2017

OTTAWA—Canadian privacy could be imperilled by apparent U.S. plans to demand cellphone and social media passwords from foreign visitors, a federal watchdog says.

In a letter to the House of Commons public safety committee, privacy commissioner Daniel Therrien warns the recent pronouncements from the Trump administration could mean intrusive searches — even at preclearance facilities in Canada.

In February, U.S. Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly suggested at a hearing that American officials could ask people entering the U.S. about the Internet sites they visit as well as passwords to help assess their online activities.

Kelly’s proposal prompted an American coalition of human rights and civil liberties organizations and experts in security, technology and the law to express “deep concern.”

The Wall Street Journal reported last month that visitors to the U.S. could be forced to provide cellphone contacts and social-media passwords.

More: https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/05/30/canadian-privacy-threatened-by-us-border-searches-watchdog-says.html
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 10:25:20 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

Re: Canadian privacy threatened by U.S. border searches, watchdog says
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 12:32:32 am »
So change the passwords, give em to the border people, then use your smartphone to immediately change them to something else. 

Offline Suppressed

Re: Canadian privacy threatened by U.S. border searches, watchdog says
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 01:07:58 am »
So change the passwords, give em to the border people, then use your smartphone to immediately change them to something else.

Yeah, I guess that's what I'll suggest to my friends.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn