Author Topic: Palestinian judge bans divorce during Ramadan because ‘people make hasty decisions when they’re hungry’  (Read 848 times)

rangerrebew

Palestinian judge bans divorce during Ramadan because ‘people make hasty decisions when they’re hungry’

Judge says order is based on ‘the experience of previous years’

Samuel Osborne

The Independent Online

The head of the Palestinian Islamic sharia court system said people who are fasting may make ‘quick and ill-considered decisions’ Getty

A Palestinian judge has banned divorces during the month of Ramadan as people may make hasty decisions “because they have not eaten and not smoked”.

Mahmoud al-Habbash, head of the Palestinian Islamic sharia court system, said people who deprive themselves of food and cigarettes during daylight hours may “create problems” in their relationship and then make “quick and ill-considered d

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/ramadan-divorce-banned-palestinian-judge-people-hasty-decisions-hungry-smoke-cigarettes-mahmoud-al-a7761056.html
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 04:52:32 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline dfwgator

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Triple Talaq, maybe I read that here and someone posted it. It is really easy for a man to divorce his wife in some of these countries, he just murmurs some words 3 times, check for the specifics.

India:
“CAN something found to be sinful by God be validated by men through law?” And, “if God considers it a sin, it can’t be legal, can it be?” These were among the weighty questions posed by India’s Supreme Court this week as it heard from women who have brought a case against the practice of “triple Talaq”, whereby a Muslim man can divorce his wife simply by uttering the word Talaq three times. There is substantial evidence to suggest that this practice, while age-old, is not actually prescribed in the Quran. Why does India allow it? - See more at: http://newageislam.com/islam,-women-and-feminism/the-economist/why-india-allows-instant-divorce--for-muslim-indian-men,-breaking-up-is-easy-to-do/d/111219#sthash.Naqh2t1P.dpuf

Another thing that is totally different than our way of thinking.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Triple Talaq, maybe I read that here and someone posted it. It is really easy for a man to divorce his wife in some of these countries, he just murmurs some words 3 times, check for the specifics.

India:
Another thing that is totally different than our way of thinking.

Not that easy, my friend. Behind closed doors, they are much the same as the rest of us - and when was the last time you got three senteces out uninterrupted?  :laugh:

In seriousness though, even though it seems easy in theory, in practice the dowry must be returned to the bride's family at the same time. Most muslim men don't get divorced for the same reason as many christians - they can't afford to.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan

"A Palestinian judge has banned divorces during the month of Ramadan as people may make hasty decisions “because they have not eaten and not smoked”.

I wondered what people eat during Ramadan and found this:  https://qz.com/438104/what-muslims-around-the-world-eat-to-break-their-fast-during-ramadan/