Author Topic: Eerie underwater scenes of lost ship and aircraft wrecks  (Read 376 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Eerie underwater scenes of lost ship and aircraft wrecks
« on: May 31, 2017, 07:41:39 pm »
Last year, British photographer Steve Jones shot the well-preserved wreck of the World War Two US bomber B-17G Flying Fortress off the island of Vis, Croatia. The aircraft crashed in 1944 after getting hit by anti-aircraft fire, killing co-pilot, Ernest Vienneau.

Diving such sites can be both “exhilarating and spectacular” and “sombre and sad” when there has been loss of life, says Jones; something that hit home particularly hard on this shoot.

The images Jones captured ended up having a surprisingly personal impact after he entered the photographs in the Underwater Photographer of the Year awards. His entry was published and spotted by the late co-pilot's family who got in touch with Jones.

“They had never seen images of his resting place,” says Jones. “The follow-on correspondence meant even more to me than the dive itself.”

“From descending into the massive cylindrical turret armour of the WW1 Battleship HMS Audacious, to seeing the deck of the WW2 wreck SS Empire Heritage covered in Sherman tanks, I’m frequently left in awe of what I’ve seen,” he says.

More, with some amazing pictures: http://www.bbc.co.uk/earth/story/20170404-divers-mesmerising-images-of-wrecks

@AbaraXas  @Cripplecreek  - thought you might enjoy this.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink