Author Topic: Sciatica: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatments  (Read 655 times)

rangerrebew

Sciatica: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatments
« on: May 28, 2017, 08:46:23 am »
Sciatica: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatments
Written by Caroline GillotReviewed by William Morrison, MD
Last updated: Mon 12 September 2016

Sciatica is the name given to pain caused by irritation of the sciatic nerve. Anything that irritates this nerve can cause pain, ranging from mild to severe.

Sciatica is usually caused by a compressed nerve root in the lumbar (lower) spine. Often, the term "sciatica" is confused with general back pain. However, sciatica is not just limited to the back.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/7619.php
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 08:47:02 am by rangerrebew »

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: Sciatica: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatments
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 09:33:08 pm »
Ah, yes my old friend! I spent decades arguing with my GP and Ortho at Kaiser about my recurring pain, but their main concern as keeping costs down, so their solution was to tell me that basically it was all in my head and anyway didn't the pain usually subside after a couple of weeks so what's the big deal? Funny how after I lost my job, insurance and a few more things and I qualified for MediCal I was sent to pain management who sent me for an MRI and told me I had some pretty bad problems. After going the route of injections and radiofrequency ablation with no improvement I  Orthopedists in the area, he heard my tale of woe and looked at my MRI and asked me when I wanted to schedule surgery since it would only get worse, I should have gone with the fusion then but :shrug:.

My advice, don't screw around with your spine, listens to what it tells you and when doctors blow you off don't listen to them, find someone who cares more about you than the bottom line and a bonus. If the doctors that I paid healthy insurance premiums to see did their jobs I might have avoided three major surgeries in just over two years. On the other hand I don't fear going in the hospital any more.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Sciatica: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatments
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 07:11:34 am »
I have had a few bouts with it. The Chiropractor I went to referred to the situation as a "subluxation of the sacro-illiac". A few treatments (adjustments) and I was good to go. Except for the time I was transferring a gas extractor from one shale shaker to another and slipped and landed on the flow line. That took three months to get back into shape, mainly because I continued working for a week after the injury. I couldn't sit, but I could stand or lie down, so I worked standing or lying down for that week. Finally, after I stood on a 4-inch pipe and reached overhead to splice some cables, I had to go to the house. No fun, and anyone who has Lumbar involvement has my sympathies. That pain was up there with serious dental pain, as far as I am concerned.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis