Author Topic: Brood Awakening: 17-Year Cicadas Emerge 4 Years Early  (Read 741 times)

rangerrebew

Brood Awakening: 17-Year Cicadas Emerge 4 Years Early
« on: May 28, 2017, 09:04:47 am »
Brood Awakening: 17-Year Cicadas Emerge 4 Years Early

Scientists search for the mysterious cause, as millions of hatching bugs loudly buzz the night away

By Knvul Sheikh on May 26, 2017

Close up of a 17 year locust or Magi cicada periodical cicadas. Credit: Education Images Getty Images

Swarms of cicadas are unexpectedly crawling out from under trees from North Carolina to New Jersey. The red-eyed insects are almost impossible to miss; they fly around lazily, plunking into backyard barbeques and crashing into cars. They litter the ground with their crunchy husks as they molt. Most noticeably, they chirp en masse for their mates, producing a relentless, shrill buzz that is recognized as a song of summer. And within a month they are gone.

Different populations, or broods, of “periodical” cicadas emerge in distinct geographical regions during specific years, after spending a 13- or 17-year span growing underground. (Some “annual” species just emerge yearly.) Scientists were expecting to see Brood VI bugs in South Carolina and Georgia, which happened, but they got a surprise when Brood X cicadas also started appearing in North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, the District of Columbia, Ohio and Indiana last week—four years earlier than anticipated.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/brood-awakening-17-year-cicadas-emerge-4-years-early/
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 09:05:30 am by rangerrebew »

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: Brood Awakening: 17-Year Cicadas Emerge 4 Years Early
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 03:19:19 pm »
This is absolute proof our entire timestream has shifted.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 11:12:36 am »
No, I blame global warming, er climate change, er climate chaos........ :tongue2:

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 11:33:16 am »
We experienced our "brood" of cicadas last year, right on schedule.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Wingnut

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 12:07:34 pm »
Magi cicada periodical cicadas ain't got no time for calendars.