Author Topic: Will Tesla’s Tiles Finally Give Solar Shingles Their Day in the Sun?  (Read 890 times)

rangerrebew

Will Tesla’s Tiles Finally Give Solar Shingles Their Day in the Sun?

Elon Musk bets homeowners will pay a premium for resilient panels that look like an ordinary roof

By Jeremy Hsu on May 18, 2017

Tesla's glass solar tiles look and act like ordinary shingles. These slate solar shingles will be available in 2018. Credit: Courtesy of Tesla

Elon Musk has built a formidable personal brand on futuristic visions of driverless cars and space travel. But the Silicon Valley entrepreneur and Tesla CEO could soon make a very real impact in a much-nearer future—and much closer to home—simply by helping U.S. homeowners harness the power of sunlight. This summer Tesla aims to begin installing solar cell roof tiles that look and act like ordinary shingles.

Tesla says the tempered glass tiles let light reach the solar cells embedded within them but can take a hit from a hailstone traveling 100 miles per hour. The design costs more than the solar panel assemblies already perched atop many homes, but the company hopes the tiles’ slicker aesthetics—they come with choices like “textured” or “smooth”—will win over reluctant customers. Technical details are scarce, but experts say the tiles appear to rely on the latest solar cell technology wrapped in a package that attempts to be more aesthetically appealing than standard-issue home arrays.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/will-tesla-rsquo-s-tiles-finally-give-solar-shingles-their-day-in-the-sun/
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 09:03:14 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Joe Wooten

How much of a government subsidy will these tiles require to be competitive?

Offline Just_Victor

Let's be sure I've got this straight.

They are not more efficient (i.e. don't convert sunlight to electricity better) than current solar panels.
They are more expensive.

But they look better.

Yup, that sounds like a typical Elon Musk "technology improvement," to me.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Wingnut

Saint Elon is up to his old tricks.  The man knows how to put on airs and walk the dog and pony show for effect.

Offline Joe Wooten

Let's be sure I've got this straight.

They are not more efficient (i.e. don't convert sunlight to electricity better) than current solar panels.
They are more expensive.

But they look better.

Yup, that sounds like a typical Elon Musk "technology improvement," to me.

Bingo! I bet he's quietly pinging Gov Moonbeam and certain federal officials for subsidies too

Offline Idiot

Will Tesla’s Tiles Finally Give Solar Shingles Their Day in the Sun?

Elon Musk bets homeowners will pay a premium for resilient panels that look like an ordinary roof

By Jeremy Hsu on May 18, 2017

Tesla's glass solar tiles look and act like ordinary shingles. These slate solar shingles will be available in 2018. Credit: Courtesy of Tesla

Elon Musk has built a formidable personal brand on futuristic visions of driverless cars and space travel. But the Silicon Valley entrepreneur and Tesla CEO could soon make a very real impact in a much-nearer future—and much closer to home—simply by helping U.S. homeowners harness the power of sunlight. This summer Tesla aims to begin installing solar cell roof tiles that look and act like ordinary shingles.

Tesla says the tempered glass tiles let light reach the solar cells embedded within them but can take a hit from a hailstone traveling 100 miles per hour. The design costs more than the solar panel assemblies already perched atop many homes, but the company hopes the tiles’ slicker aesthetics—they come with choices like “textured” or “smooth”—will win over reluctant customers. Technical details are scarce, but experts say the tiles appear to rely on the latest solar cell technology wrapped in a package that attempts to be more aesthetically appealing than standard-issue home arrays.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/will-tesla-rsquo-s-tiles-finally-give-solar-shingles-their-day-in-the-sun/
Sounds like a wiring nightmare.

Offline Joe Wooten

Sounds like a wiring nightmare.

Yep. Almost as bad as the solar road idea.....