Author Topic: USAF quietly admits F-35 can’t beat the A-10, extends service life indefinitely  (Read 1202 times)

rangerrebew

USAF quietly admits F-35 can’t beat the A-10, extends service life indefinitely
By Andy Wolf| May 24th, 2017

A-10 Thunderbolt II aircraft prepare for flight March 21, 2017 at the 124th Fighter Wing, Boise, Idaho. The A-10 Thunderbolt II is designed for close air support of ground forces.

While some aircraft in the US Air Force’s inventory seem to come and go as quickly as they were put in, one in particular seems to resist multiple attempts to kill it: the A-10 Thunderbolt II, affectionately known as the “Warthog,” or simply “‘Hog.”

Pretty much doomed to be targeted by Air Force brass since it first took flight (due to the unpopularity of the Close Air Support role in Air Force doctrine), the A-10 has been threatened with replacement by a multitude of planes, from the nimble F-16 to the fancy new F-35.

http://popularmilitary.com/usaf-quietly-admits-f-35-cant-beat-10-extends-service-life-indefinitely/
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 08:40:58 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
It seems that the AF runs in cycles - all mission aircraft, then specialized mission aircraft and on and on.  Cycles about every 20 years.  I am of the opinion that the AF needs the following types of aircraft:

Heavy bomber
Air superiority
Cargo/transport/tanker
Recon
Ground support

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Since it showed its effectiveness in protecting and supporting our troops while slaughtering enemy troops and armor in the ME PROVES it needs to go.

The last thing the brass wants are those types of things since it violates their ROE.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Oceander

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
It seems that the AF runs in cycles - all mission aircraft, then specialized mission aircraft and on and on.  Cycles about every 20 years.  I am of the opinion that the AF needs the following types of aircraft:

Heavy bomber
Air superiority
Cargo/transport/tanker
Recon
Ground support

Agree, with the exception of recon. No real need for a special type - equip two AS, 2 Bombers, 2 GS from each squadron as recon planes. The days of high speed, high altitude recon planes are pretty much over - there is almost complete sat coverage now.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
The F-35 is a whole different animal.

A snake can't beat a frisbee.  :shrug:

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer

Isn't the F-35 air-to-air?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Oceander

It was designed to be multi role, including ground attack.  Just goes to show that if you try to please everyone at the same time you usually end up pleasing no one. 

Online roamer_1

It was designed to be multi role, including ground attack.  Just goes to show that if you try to please everyone at the same time you usually end up pleasing no one.

All season tires. Nuff said.

Oceander

All season tires. Nuff said.

I was thinking the same thing.