Author Topic: Are All Those 'Fidget Spinners' Really Helping Kids? Hot toy is probably more of a distraction than a help in the classroom, experts say  (Read 2603 times)

rangerrebew

Are All Those 'Fidget Spinners' Really Helping Kids?
Hot toy is probably more of a distraction than a help in the classroom, experts say

Thursday, May 25, 2017

THURSDAY, May 25, 2017 (HealthDay News) -- Fidget spinners may be the latest must-have kids' toy, but claims that the gizmos help students pay attention aren't backed by science, experts say.

Some retailers market the devices as a way to help kids with anxiety, autism or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) keep themselves calm and focused in the classroom.

https://medlineplus.gov/news/fullstory_165951.html
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 12:02:14 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Kids here love the darned things, to the point of distraction. I don't see them as different from most any other neat gadget/fad (someone is making a grundle on those things), except for the psych overtones. Someone is going to get a paper/study out of this on fidget spinner anxiety when some kids lose/break theirs. Might be grant money in studying "fidget device deprivation anxiety", and that should take care of the 'publish or perish' requirements of their academic institution for another semester/year.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Joe Wooten

My wife subs a lot in the local schools and hates the damn things. They make a fidgeting problem with kids worse. IMHO, a better solution is 2 30 minute recesses a day to let the kids, especially the boys, work off some of their contained energy. There was a damn good reason every elementary school used to have 15 minute recesses in the morning and afternoon and a 30 minute one at lunch time (after eating).

Offline mountaineer

My wife subs a lot in the local schools and hates the damn things. They make a fidgeting problem with kids worse.
The subject of fidget spinners came up at a gathering I attended last night. I suggested that if a kid wasn't already "ADD" he'd be that way after playing with one of these gadgets.  :pondering:

Offline goodwithagun

My son's on the high functioning end of the autism spectrum and his fidget spinner helps him immensely.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
My son's on the high functioning end of the autism spectrum and his fidget spinner helps him immensely.

My grandson is autistic too but not on the high functioning side..low to middle plus ADHD...I am curious if they would help him?
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
These things are so bleep stupid... I had a family member post on facebook that they should only be allowed for autistic kids.

Christalmighty, they're stupid things with bearing in them! They're not magic!

Offline mountaineer

Just a few words of caution:

These Moms Are Warning Parents Everywhere About the Dangers of Fidget Spinners
Choking is a major hazard, but it's not the only one.
By Lindsey Murray
May 30, 2017

Most kids can't get enough of their fidget spinners, but after a slew of injuries, some moms are saying they should be pulled from the shelves.

Johely Morelos cautioned her son Cayden about the dangers of fidget spinners after seeing a news story about a Texas girl who choked on a loose part, but that didn't stop the 5-year-old from popping off a piece of his own spinner and swallowing it. "I showed him pictures and said, 'Never put that in your mouth,'" the 23-year-old mom in Albany, Oregon told BuzzFeed News. "I guess he didn't listen that well."

Morelos rushed her son the hospital, but the staff was unable to get the part out of his chest. He was transported to another hospital in Portland where the disc had to be surgically removed. "It was super scary," said Morelos. "When they were putting a tube down his throat, he was throwing up blood. It was really scary for me to see he was in pain."

Cayden recovered quickly from his surgery, but according to BuzzFeed, Morelos now wants these fidget spinners to be recalled and labeled with the appropriate choking hazard warnings. She has taken to Facebook to warn moms about the choking risks associated with these popular toys.

And choking isn't the only hazard. Carol Woods, a Missouri-based mom, told BuzzFeed that her 3-year-old son was injured after a piece of his spinner got lodged on his middle finger. Woods tried to remove it, but ultimately had to take her son to an urgent care center, and eventually the ER, where doctors used two to three different tools before finally cutting the metal piece off. ...
More at Good Housekeeping.

Offline goodwithagun

My grandson is autistic too but not on the high functioning side..low to middle plus ADHD...I am curious if they would help him?

For a few bucks it is worth a try. My son uses his while doing homework and it really keeps him on track. I like it better than his chewelry.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Polly Ticks

. IMHO, a better solution is 2 30 minute recesses a day to let the kids, especially the boys, work off some of their contained energy. There was a damn good reason every elementary school used to have 15 minute recesses in the morning and afternoon and a 30 minute one at lunch time (after eating).

I couldn't agree with you more.  It's crazy to ask kids to sit still and be quiet for 8 solid hours.  Even adults take an occasional coffee (covfefe?) break during the work day.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Suppressed

The subject of fidget spinners came up at a gathering I attended last night. I suggested that if a kid wasn't already "ADD" he'd be that way after playing with one of these gadgets.  :pondering:

That's why diagnosis is so important.  Likewise, a stimulant can focus someone with ADD, but defocus someone without.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

For a few bucks it is worth a try. My son uses his while doing homework and it really keeps him on track. I like it better than his chewelry.

An administrative assistant I work with is helped by one, too.

Here's the one that helps me...

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Joe Wooten

Yeah, but ALL the kids are being given them, ALL of them.

Offline Smokin Joe

These things are so bleep stupid... I had a family member post on facebook that they should only be allowed for autistic kids.

Christalmighty, they're stupid things with bearing in them! They're not magic!
Pet Rocks were kinda dumb, too. Wish I'd thought of it. Someone is making a lot of money on the hottest thing since the hula hoop or beanie babies. More power to 'em, and off to see if I can be first to figure out what the next mostly useless whatchamajigger people will rush to the store to buy will be. There's millions in it!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
The problem I see with them is eventually kids find an air source capable of spinning them at incredible speeds to where they tend to splatter apart. Anyone that has took an air hose to a gear on a stick knows what I mean, they can bloody you up pretty good if you are not careful .
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I'd never heard of nor seen "fidget spinners" before I read this article…

Oceander

That's interesting.  Any ideas why?

Offline Smokin Joe

The problem I see with them is eventually kids find an air source capable of spinning them at incredible speeds to where they tend to splatter apart. Anyone that has took an air hose to a gear on a stick knows what I mean, they can bloody you up pretty good if you are not careful .
I told my grandson, "Yes, we have compressed air. We have a compressor. No. Not if you can't tell me how many RPM that is rated for before it flies apart in your hand.

He is content to just blow on it for now...

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

IMHO, a better solution is 2 30 minute recesses a day to let the kids, especially the boys, work off some of their contained energy. There was a damn good reason every elementary school used to have 15 minute recesses in the morning and afternoon and a 30 minute one at lunch time (after eating).

YEAH With Dodgeball, Pop Pom Pullaway (Smear the queer, kinda), baseball diamonds, monkey bars, swing sets - The whole 9 yards.

Let em shake their giggles out.

And then go home and do chores and homework till dinner time.... And wake up early in the morning to do chores and finish homework before school the next day. swimmin holes, dirt bikes, playing hookey to go fishin. Hunting squirrels, groundhogs, feral cats, coyotes.... Giggin bullfrogs... Working in the garden and at the barn. Seeing a stud cover a mare, and pulling a foal from her in the spring - The beauty in life, and the necessity in death. The value of love and family. and the respect of neighbors.

If you want stable, well rounded kids, anything missing from that is a great disadvantage.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
When I was a kid it was cabbage patch kids, then garbage pail kids (derived from cabbage patch kids). (Pet rocks was before my time).

In the 90's it was beanie babies, furbies, tickle-me elmo, pogs, etc.

Offline DB

I'm still here and have most of my parts...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 10:07:36 am by DB »

Offline goodwithagun

That's interesting.  Any ideas why?

It's just the nature of the autism beast. We have multiple fidget toys for him, but the spinners are just the cool item now. I have the pea pod for him at church since that is silent, and at school he has a rubber band between his front desk chair legs for bouncing his feet. I always have a hairbrush with me for him to stim on if he needs it.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++