State Chapters > Florida

'Whiskey and Wheaties' bill vetoed, liquor to stay out of grocery stores

(1/1)

Elderberry:
News 13 by By Christie Zizo 5/24/2017

TALLAHASSEE --

A bill that would have allowed liquor in the supermarkets will not become a law in Florida.

Whiskey and Wheaties bill vetoed
    Gov. Scott fears bill would hurt small businesses
    Would have allowed liquor on supermarket shelves

Gov. Rick Scott vetoed the so-called "Whiskey and Wheaties" bill Wednesday.

The bill would have allowed liquor sales at grocery stores, retailers and certain gas stations.

But Gov. Scott says after listening to stakeholders on both sides, he could not sign the bill.

"I have heard concerns as to how this bill could affect many small businesses across Florida," Scott wrote in the veto letter. "I was a small business owner and many locally owned businesses have told me how this bill will impact their families and their ability to create jobs."

The bill passed the Florida House and Senate with slim margins during the 2017 Legislative Session.

More: http://www.mynews13.com/content/news/cfnews13/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2017/5/24/_whiskey_and_wheatie.html

InHeavenThereIsNoBeer:
"I have heard concerns as to how this bill could affect many small businesses across Florida," Scott wrote in the veto letter.

Well, how about how the current law affects them?  Get government out of the market.

BTW, most of the grocery stores have liquor stores right next door, owned and operated by the same business, with the net effect being if I want cereal and Scotch, I have to wait in line twice.

RoosGirl:
Not sure if I'm happy that Publix has more pull than Walmart in Florida or not...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version