Author Topic: Republican candidate 'body-slams' Guardian reporter in Montana  (Read 31055 times)

Offline Victoria33

Re: Republican candidate 'body-slams' Guardian reporter in Montana
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2017, 02:10:38 pm »
Well that's just nonsense.   A person can just claim they were assaulted and that is enough evidence for a charge.   He can say "Look,  my glasses are broke!  That proves I was assaulted!"   and that can be your "evidence."    I will wait till I get more information to decide what I think about this incident.    It doesn't ring true.   I want to hear the other side.
@DiogenesLamp

There were witnesses in the room and they were Republicans.  I heard one of them last night explain how he attacked this reporter.  He grabbed the hand of the reporter, spun him around, grabbed him at his throat (that is likely when the glasses broke), and reporter hit the floor.  Think I heard 911 was called.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2017, 02:11:01 pm »
Well, that's good.  I'm a conservative and support the rule of law against thuggery.

It remains to be seen if what he did was "thuggery."    Obnoxious reporters refusing to leave me alone constitutes a need to communicate with them more forcefully.   

I'll have to know more about the circumstances before I can say one way or the other.

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2017, 02:12:27 pm »

Well that's just nonsense.   A person can just claim they were assaulted and that is enough evidence for a charge. 

He can say "Look,  my glasses are broke!  That proves I was assaulted!"   and that can be your "evidence." 

I will wait till I get more information to decide what I think about this incident.    It doesn't ring true.   I want to hear the other side.

Alicia Acuna from Fox News was there when it happened and basically has affirmed what the reporter has said..I am sure she and her crew will be called as a witnesses.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2017, 02:12:37 pm »

It remains to be seen if what he did was "thuggery."    Obnoxious reporters refusing to leave me alone constitutes a need to communicate with them more forcefully.   

I'll have to know more about the circumstances before I can say one way or the other.

Amen.  People typically don't snap like that without some underlying circumstances.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2017, 02:12:41 pm »
I think its because the democrats might take the office which would be a big change.

The entire media world of left wing journalists are certainly hoping that this will happen.   That sounds like as good of an explanation as any. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2017, 02:13:32 pm »
I sure hope you won't be in the same foxhole as me.

Complicity is a bitch bubba.  The MSM is counting on you.
The MSM is counting on some pencil neck being able to push some guy's buttons and, if he 'scores', to get some outrageously bad optics on a candidate at the last moment.
It worked.
The reporter may have got more than he wanted, but he got what he wanted nonetheless. He's front and center in a political story that could seriously hurt a candidate, depending on how people take it. (Plus "victim" status, plus "troot to powah", plus, plus, plus--serious Lib cred that could advance his career in the media.)

Remember the most populated areas of any state trend liberal, and Billings, Bozeman, Missoula, Great Falls will outvote the rest.

If I want someone to represent me in Congress, it'd be nice if they have the political awareness to realize that getting in a scrape with a reporter, no matter how aggravating, doesn't look like good judgement. Of course newspapers are pulling their endorsements--they're media.

Yes, some of us sympathize, some of us have had days where we'd (at the very least) like to mop the floor with some aggravating pissant, but no matter how much they need that, doing so is only going to get you in more crap.  I'd rather have people in awe of my self-control than my ability to knock some little twerp down. As a Congressman he could have the guy barred from his press conferences. There's the long term payback for being a jerk, versus instantaneous gratification.

As for the foxhole, relax. If it gets down to being in a foxhole, the gloves will have come off long before then and being civil won't be part of the deal. For now, we aren't in a shootin' war and the rules are a mite different.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 02:13:58 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline skeeter

« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2017, 02:17:52 pm »
I am not sure what to make of this.   I need more information,  I think.

In all honesty I didn't ponder it that deeply, I just thought it was funny.

Guess I failed to grasp the gravity of the event and its implication to western society.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 02:18:47 pm by skeeter »

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2017, 02:18:07 pm »
The MSM is counting on some pencil neck being able to push some guy's buttons and, if he 'scores', to get some outrageously bad optics on a candidate at the last moment.
It worked.

I don't know.  DJT succeeded basically being at war with the MSM for 18 months prior to election.  Each gaffe seemed to make him stronger.

I think the law of unintended consequences applies more often than ever in these cases.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2017, 02:18:24 pm »
In other words, the right is trending leftward.

Yes.

As I have said all along. When the right uses the Alinsky tactics of the left, its not long before they start using those tactics against the right and anyone else they disagree with. The ends justify the means thinking becomes an addiction that destroys ethics and morality.

Booker T Washington spoke of similar "self damage" when he said that a Black man who tries to cheat a white man out of ab sense of revenge soon finds himself cheating fellow black men out of simple greed. Similarly he said that a white man who will cheat a black man soon finds comfort in cheating white men.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #84 on: May 25, 2017, 02:20:10 pm »
@DiogenesLamp

The thing is, there's a tape and two witnesses, so it's more than just a "claim."

There is an audio tape and two potential collaborators.     The audio tape does not readily prove the charge,  and the two people saying so may have an interest in making this man lose the election. 

I do not believe this man "body slammed"  anyone insofar as I comprehend what the term  means. 

More like he shoved the man forward and he fell down.   

That's a good bit of information for you to investigate, don't you think?

It doesn't ring true on the face of it.   I think the reporter is asserting a much more violent claim than what actually occurred.   

I have little doubt that Gianforte grabbed the reporter and did something to him,   but I very much doubt it was to pick him up and slam him to the ground on his back. 

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2017, 02:21:05 pm »
There were witnesses.  He did it in public.   The reporter went up to him stuck a mic in his face and asked some tough questions.    He was then assaulted as the GOP guy said how much he didnt like reporters.

Well then we should shortly have video of the event,  don't you think? 

— Lord Melbourne —

Silver Pines

« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2017, 02:22:32 pm »
I agree there are 2 sides.  Was the candidate baited earlier?

@catfish1957

Republicans get baited all the time.  It's the nature of politics.  Look at Ted Cruz's career for a history of baiting.  You don't assault people.

How is this nutcase going to behave once he gets to Washington?  If he can't control himself, he needs to get out of politics.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2017, 02:22:40 pm »
I don't know.  DJT succeeded basically being at war with the MSM for 18 months prior to election.  Each gaffe seemed to make him stronger.

I think the law of unintended consequences applies more often than ever in these cases.
Gaffes are one thing. His was a war of words. He didn't knock any reporters down.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline rodamala

« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2017, 02:22:53 pm »
And to become a Dental-Floss Tycoon.

Just me and the pygmy pony over by the dental floss bush.

Silver Pines

« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2017, 02:23:15 pm »

@DiogenesLamp

Have you listened to the tape?

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2017, 02:23:21 pm »

Not sure there was video as Fox was just setting up their equipment...unless another media outlet got it.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2017, 02:23:28 pm »
@DiogenesLamp

There were witnesses in the room and they were Republicans.  I heard one of them last night explain how he attacked this reporter.  He grabbed the hand of the reporter, spun him around, grabbed him at his throat (that is likely when the glasses broke), and reporter hit the floor.  Think I heard 911 was called.

This sounds more plausible.   He shoved him  and the guy fell down on his back. 

I thought "body slam"  was an exaggeration.   

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2017, 02:23:38 pm »

I suspect we'll have a public apology and a guilty plea filed in short order.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #93 on: May 25, 2017, 02:25:29 pm »
Alicia Acuna from Fox News was there when it happened and basically has affirmed what the reporter has said..I am sure she and her crew will be called as a witnesses.

I have no doubt the man assaulted him,   I just don't believe he picked the man up off the ground and then slammed him to the floor on his back.   

— Lord Melbourne —

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #94 on: May 25, 2017, 02:25:32 pm »

This sounds more plausible.   He shoved him  and the guy fell down on his back. 

I thought "body slam"  was an exaggeration.

Exactly.  Huge difference in pushed versus "body slam"

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #95 on: May 25, 2017, 02:26:45 pm »
Exactly.  Huge difference in pushed versus "body slam"
Hey, they're the media. They can turn a pimple into Mount Vesuvius with the right camera angle and hyperbole.

C S Lewis

Online Hoodat

« Reply #96 on: May 25, 2017, 02:26:53 pm »

Ask, and you shall receive.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #97 on: May 25, 2017, 02:28:41 pm »

I have no doubt the man assaulted him,   I just don't believe he picked the man up off the ground and then slammed him to the floor on his back.

Think we should consult with an expert......

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #98 on: May 25, 2017, 02:28:44 pm »
@catfish1957

How is this nutcase going to behave once he gets to Washington?  If he can't control himself, he needs to get out of politics.

Actually,   I can think of worse things to happen in Washington than having congressmen assault media or their fellow congress critters.   
— Lord Melbourne —

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #99 on: May 25, 2017, 02:31:08 pm »

Actually,   I can think of worse things to happen in Washington than having congressmen assault media or their fellow congress critters.

Giving Maxine Waters a "hot foot" would be a nice start.