Author Topic: Lawmakers press for better rifles, bigger bullets for soldiers, Marines  (Read 1006 times)

rangerrebew

Lawmakers press for better rifles, bigger bullets for soldiers, Marines

By: Todd South, May 20, 2017
As the Army continues to develop a potential replacement for the M4, for a handful of senators, replacing the carbine and 5.56 mm round with a new bullet and better rifle is a no brainer.

During a Senate Armed Services Committee subcommittee hearing this week, members heard testimony from two retired Army generals who have been staunch advocates for getting a new rifle into the hands of at least infantry and special operations troops.

https://www.armytimes.com/articles/lawmakers-press-for-better-rifles-bigger-bullets-for-soldiers-marines
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 08:07:46 am by rangerrebew »

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Go with the FN SCAR 17S

I sure like shooting my Son's.

geronl

Phaser rifles for all.

Offline Old Warrior in Exile

I was out of the loop for a while and never heard why the U.S. agreed to go to the 5.56mm NATO round in preference to the 7.62mm.

The 7.62mm was larger in mass and had stopping power superior to the 5.56mm.
I mean, that's what we want our boys to do, right? Locate, close with and kill the enemy, no?

Give them anything and everything they need.
Barba non facit philosophum.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Old Warrior wrote:
"The 7.62mm was larger in mass and had stopping power superior to the 5.56mm.
I mean, that's what we want our boys to do, right? Locate, close with and kill the enemy, no?"

Wasn't one of the primary reasons NATO adapter the smaller round was because it did NOT kill as much as wound, and the theory was that more resources [of the enemy] were wasted in caring for wounded soldiers than dead ones?

geronl

miniature rail guns

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Old Warrior wrote:
"The 7.62mm was larger in mass and had stopping power superior to the 5.56mm.
I mean, that's what we want our boys to do, right? Locate, close with and kill the enemy, no?"

Wasn't one of the primary reasons NATO adapter the smaller round was because it did NOT kill as much as wound, and the theory was that more resources [of the enemy] were wasted in caring for wounded soldiers than dead ones?

That and our troops could carry more rounds.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

geronl

I thought it was a compromise and  the French wanted even smaller rounds...

The caption where I found it: Get out of there bullets. You are not screws, you are bullets. You are not even threaded

rangerrebew

How much weight do larger bullets add to the soldier's load?  I know they are toying with biodegradable rounds which might help.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
How much weight do larger bullets add to the soldier's load?  I know they are toying with biodegradable rounds which might help.

Biodegradable rounds wouldn't make any difference to the loadout.  Polymer casings might, though.  All said, the intention is to go to a larger, heavier round to increase the effective range.  5.56 was adequate in jungle settings where the average engagement was fairly close, but elsewhere it doesn't have the needed ability to put metal on target (effectively) at range.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!