Author Topic: Trump Takes Page From Bill Clinton Crisis Playbook  (Read 624 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Trump Takes Page From Bill Clinton Crisis Playbook
« on: May 20, 2017, 12:41:38 am »
By Alexis Simendinger
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2017/05/19/trumps_crisis_playbook_takes_page_from_bill_clinton.html

President Trump fancies himself an innovator, but his political playbook to try to dig out of scandal quicksand
owes a lot to the 42nd president.

On Thursday, Trump aped defense techniques used during Bill Clinton’s impeachment saga (with the added twists of a
Republican complaining in 2017 about a vast left-wing conspiracy via social media that didn’t exist in the late 1990s).

In three formats -- Twitter, a roundtable session with TV anchors, and an afternoon joint news conference -- the president
repeated his belief that the special counsel appointed by the deputy attorney general on Wednesday, plus ongoing FBI
and congressional investigations examining Russia’s influence in last year’s election, collectively amount to “a witch
hunt.”

The president, along with a fledgling West Wing “rapid response” communications team and surrogates armed with
talking points, argued that his foes and the news media are collaborating to block his stalled policy agenda. He said
his opponents are trying to settle scores from the campaign by casting his geopolitical view of Russia as scandalous.

Trump repeatedly proclaimed his innocence, blamed political enemies for his troubles, vowed to defend himself on
behalf of the American people, and said he would not be diverted from his commitment to better Americans’ lives.

“Whether it's Russia or anybody else, my total priority, believe me, is the United States of America,” he told reporters
in the East Room after meeting with President Juan Manuel Santos of Colombia.

It was vintage Clinton, channeled anew by the 45th president . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

geronl

Re: Trump Takes Page From Bill Clinton Crisis Playbook
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 12:48:42 am »
They are close, after all.