Author Topic: Men Are Becoming The Weaker Sex, And That’s A Problem For Everyone  (Read 8044 times)

Offline corbe

Re: Men Are Becoming The Weaker Sex, And That’s A Problem For Everyone
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2017, 06:19:16 pm »
People spend thousands a year trying to make their homes as sterile as possible - including the food - then wonder why they fall prey to any bug that comes along.  **nononono*

Mothers now refrain from allowing their kids to eat dirt, I guess no one is dirt poor no more with food stamps a plenty.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2017, 06:28:42 pm »
Exactly. Though, to give full disclosure, I'd probably semi boil the water from your streams for a couple weeks, until my body got used to its new hitchhikers - different continent, different bugs. Don't mind making tea for a while instead of just water. But anywhere here, I just drink it.

That's right - but that caution is largely a result of modernity. normal migration is not so sudden.

One of the hallmarks of my recovery from illness came from my Cheyenne medicine man.
He asked me bluntly if all these things had bothered me back in the day, when I walked in the mountains...
I replied, well, no they didn't...
And then he pronounced, well then the answer is simple - Get back to walking in the mountains.
Get rid of white man's water - it is dead.
Drink living water, and you will see.

And then he challenged me to go get water from a well known spring here. And if that clear mountain water made me sick, then he was right.
And he was right.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2017, 06:32:19 pm »
   Mothers now refrain from allowing their kids to eat dirt, I guess no one is dirt poor no more with food stamps a plenty.

LOL! I guess my mama didn't get the memo...

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2017, 06:43:13 pm »
I would say a full 25% of my diet is now fermented. It would be hard for me to separate dry goods, dehydrated, and home canned, as my dinner is normally sourced out of all three combined... but I can tell you the entire collection of factory canned food is 3 cases of french cut beans (screamin deal, and hard to make), and a case of diced tomatoes, and a case of Nalley's chili...

And I might add, this is late spring so stocks are low. I will have to buy from the store, most likely, for a month or two to augment till early garden comes in... I am not exactly against it in the short term.

Tho I hate dry beans, I do.
I always forget to put them on the soak the night before. I am not all that good at long distance planning. More spur-of-the-moment, and beans get in my way. LOL!

I'm thinking about making my own kimchi. It looks pretty straightforward but I haven't fermented a lot of food.

Btw, I've banished hand gel, antibac soap, and bleach from the house.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2017, 07:38:31 pm »
I'm thinking about making my own kimchi. It looks pretty straightforward but I haven't fermented a lot of food.

It's easy. If you want a gentler lead in, make some saurkraut first. That couldn't be simpler.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online roamer_1

« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2017, 08:20:37 pm »

I ran into it largely because I cannot have a root cellar. I found a pretty good haul of carrots, and got them, but then realized I had no way to keep them. I am not all that fond of cooked/canned carrots... They are OK, but not preferred...
So that's what started me down the fermenting trail. Lots of stuff that won't keep otherwise will keep fine fermented - Think radishes, as an instance - And it retains much of it's fresh 'snap'... So it can easily be incorporated into salads and such all winter... And in the case of carrots, still can be grated and added to a stir fry or whatever... Different though... A zesty 'pickled' zing. I don't even notice in salads, as I prefer vinaigrette dressings, but careful with cooking as the nature of the pickling an do unexpected things to flavor.

It is a good way. Youtube has tons of info.

I mainly use natural soap made by my eldest DIL, and use non-aromatic laundry soap (All free and clear), as part of my dilemma is an 'allergy' to industrial perfumes... Other than that, Dawn dish soap, and good ol lye soap for tough cleaning.

But I do pass a bar of anti-bac soap through the shower every now and then, if my native flora gets out of control,,, I know there are more natural means, but it is quick and efficient, and then I go back to natural again.

And I find I cannot get shook loose of chlorine, as much as I would like to. Mainly in the nature of wood surfaces that get stained, and mold/mildew control. But it is greatly reduced in this house, as I am again, fairly allergic to chlorine. Imagine that.

All those years, drinking that poison, right in my water... Never even suspecting... One of the main reasons I chose to buy this place was it's water source - I get my water from a roaring artesian spring. Beautiful, cold, and clear, surface filtered water. I will never drink bottled, city, or even deep well water again.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 08:23:57 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2017, 08:34:17 pm »
@roamer_1 have you tried H2O2?
I stand with Roosgirl.

Wingnut

« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2017, 08:38:58 pm »
People spend thousands a year trying to make their homes as sterile as possible - including the food - then wonder why they fall prey to any bug that comes along.  **nononono*

Yep by the 1920's when running water electricity in the big cities made it easier to bathe and clean up.  We humans started washing daily and it took our protective crust off.  After a while bugs that we fought off easily descended on us like a plague.   The 1st Polio epidemic is a perfect example of my theory.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2017, 08:39:53 pm »
SNORT! I was raised on whole milk, right from the cow. So were pretty near all of my friends. No body got sick. In fact, we mostly kicked the crap outa the city boys.

The government makes PLENTY of mistakes, and so does science. And raw milk is perfectly fine.

No, you just don't remember people getting sick just as I don't remember unpleasant things from the time period I grew up in.

@roamer_1

Online roamer_1

« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2017, 09:43:48 pm »
@roamer_1 have you tried H2O2?

Yes of course! As a painter, I was a fair chem-head... I have the hardball 20% by volume stuff, even.

Again, it is toward efficiency. a quick nasty kill, and then back to normal... And Clorine (and Sodium hypochlorite) are efficient beyond anything else. But like I said, use is highly rare, and reduced. I generally clean with vinegar, when soap won't do. Mostly it's just Dawn, for about everything.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2017, 09:47:03 pm »
No, you just don't remember people getting sick just as I don't remember unpleasant things from the time period I grew up in.

@roamer_1

Nah, @mirraflake , such a thing as ecoli poisoning would be right up at the top. Just like I can acknowledge Beaver Fever (Giardia) as being a true danger. I know some who have suffered Giardia, I know *no one* made sick by milk. None.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2017, 09:55:56 pm »
Nah, @mirraflake , such a thing as ecoli poisoning would be right up at the top. Just like I can acknowledge Beaver Fever (Giardia) as being a true danger. I know some who have suffered Giardia, I know *no one* made sick by milk. None.

25% of food borne illness was caused by milk products at the turn of the century.  Look in the fridge of dairy farmers and see what type of milk they are drinking and it ain't raw milk.

My wife and I went to the Farm Science Review in Ohio last year and the Ohio Milk Producers were advising against raw milk.

My two batchelor uncles had a dairy farm and when I worked there in the 70's in the summers they had store bought milk and they were raised and grown during the depression on a dairy farm.

The raw milk drinkers are the same crowd as the anti vacciners. 

@roamer_1

Offline anubias

« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2017, 10:00:39 pm »

You know one.  My grandmother kept a milk cow.  Not to argue with you as I would drink the raw milk, although I would boil it first before I fed it to children or the my elderly mother, if I had a milk cow; but I did get severely ill as a child from it.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2017, 10:06:08 pm »

Across the border in Pennsyltucky where it can be sold, raw milk is a family based operation and not an industrial one like the garbage in the store. These folks take pride in their product. They are meticulous about cleanliness since there's no pasteurization safety net. I'd never drink raw milk from an industrial dairy. The filth, the illigal alien workers, etc. are enough to make me gag. Because of pasteurization they have a safety net for personal irresponsiblity. The free market is a beautiful thing, isn't it? Plus, Big Gov manipulating milk prices and paying dairies to dump milk pisses me off.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2017, 10:09:01 pm »
You know one.  My grandmother kept a milk cow.  Not to argue with you as I would drink the raw milk, although I would boil it first before I fed it to children or the my elderly mother, if I had a milk cow; but I did get severely ill as a child from it.

The raw milk did not make you ill. Lack of cleanliness before/during/after milking and/or improper storage made you ill.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2017, 10:17:44 pm »

25% of food borne illness was caused by milk products at the turn of the century. 

@mirraflake
Meh. Maybe over the counter... Not at the farmhouse.

Look in the fridge of dairy farmers and see what type of milk they are drinking and it ain't raw milk.

LOL! WRONG. Stone dead wrong.

My wife and I went to the Farm Science Review in Ohio last year and the Ohio Milk Producers were advising against raw milk.

Of course. It prevents competition.

My two batchelor uncles had a dairy farm and when I worked there in the 70's in the summers they had store bought milk and they were raised and grown during the depression on a dairy farm.

Good for them! I grew up on raw milk. Everyone I know grew up on raw milk. There ain't a farm around here that doesn't keep a milk cow, or if there is, it's because they are buying it from a neighboring farm.

The raw milk drinkers are the same crowd as the anti vacciners. 

Yep.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 10:19:03 pm by roamer_1 »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2017, 10:23:00 pm »

@anubias

Then not only were you an exception (as you likely know), but it was poorly handled, period.

All my grandsons are  growing tall and strong, just like their daddy did before them, and every one of em is drinking raw milk.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 10:31:04 pm by roamer_1 »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2017, 10:33:58 pm »
Across the border in Pennsyltucky where it can be sold, raw milk is a family based operation and not an industrial one like the garbage in the store. These folks take pride in their product. They are meticulous about cleanliness since there's no pasteurization safety net. I'd never drink raw milk from an industrial dairy. The filth, the illigal alien workers, etc. are enough to make me gag. Because of pasteurization they have a safety net for personal irresponsiblity. The free market is a beautiful thing, isn't it? Plus, Big Gov manipulating milk prices and paying dairies to dump milk pisses me off.

That's right. Folks around here that don;t take FINE care, are not around long.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2017, 10:35:20 pm »
The raw milk did not make you ill. Lack of cleanliness before/during/after milking and/or improper storage made you ill.

Right again. GMTA

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2017, 11:42:39 pm »
Plus, Big Gov manipulating milk prices and paying dairies to dump milk pisses me off.

That is done to keep milk prices stable. Just as it's done with crops.

If corn became to cheap to sell one year everyone would stop growing corn the next planting year leading to scarcity the following year.  The corn that year at the end of summer would be $5 ear.

If not for the subsidies you would see huge swings in prices for food from dirt cheap to extremely high. It would wreck havoc with farmers.

Subsidies allow farmers to know what what they will get for their crops the next planting season so they can plan ahead-know that the $600k combine they buy to pick corn will be able to pay for itself..

This happened in the beef industry a few years back which was not subsidized.Beef went so low everyone sold their cows and the following year beef went sky high.

@roamer_1

@goodwithagun
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 11:47:15 pm by mirraflake »

Wingnut

« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2017, 11:49:22 pm »
@Wingnut

Dana Loesch said yesterday that a man should put on a romper if he never wants to get laid again.  I agree.

And then I found this horrifying thing which proved that rompers for men aren't new...

WTH?

@anubias  and @CatherineofAragon

That pic is all over the netnews to justify that "Himpers Humpers" start up... go fund me company.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2017, 02:45:10 am »
That pic is all over the netnews to justify that "Himpers Humpers" start up... go fund me company.

@Wingnut

Each time it pops up, I just go and take a look at this to help me forget it...

@Frank Cannon
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2017, 02:47:01 am »

Silver Pines

« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2017, 12:12:35 am »

@Cripplecreek
@Wingnut

LMAO

Not a Sean Connery in the bunch...not even a Sean-terrycloth-romper-wearing-Connery.