Author Topic: Revolt of the California ‘Freeloaders’: Jerry Brown’s insult energizes recall of tax-hiking Democratic senator  (Read 1125 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: THE AMERICAN SPECTATOR

URL: https://spectator.org/revolt-of-the-california-freeloaders/

by STEVEN GREENHUT

When normal people talk about “freeloaders,” they usually are referring to the assorted welfare dependents, scammers and, yes, public employees who game the system to do as little productive work as possible and receive as many taxpayer-supplied benefits as they can muster. In California, freeloading is an art form, but the term is largely verboten. We don’t want to be accused of insensitivity or other retrograde attitudes, after all.

So I guess we can thank Gov. Jerry Brown for making it OK to speak directly about these folks. During a speech earlier this month in Orange County, the governor made his disgust clear. “The freeloaders — I’ve had enough of them,” he said, according to an Orange County Register report. Brown was there defending a new law he signed that raises fuel taxes by 12 cents to 19 cents a gallon, and annual vehicle-license fees by as much as $180 a vehicle.

I scanned the story without pausing, given how typical it is for Brown to use colorful rhetoric. (This is a governor who refers to critics of his climate-change agenda as “troglodytes,” warns of human extinction, and chides opponents of his $68-billion bullet train as “declinists who want to put their head in a hole….”) But kudos to Kira Davis at the Red State blog for catching the significance of his latest tirade.

If you live in California, have a job and pay taxes Governor Jerry Brown would like you to know that you’re a freeloader and he’s tired of your complaining,” Davis wrote. This isn’t much of an overstatement. If one looks closely at the rest of the Brown quotation, it’s clear who he’s talking about. “They have a president that doesn’t tell the truth and they’re following suit,” he said, as he criticized activists working to recall a freshman Democratic senator from Fullerton who cast a deciding vote in favor of the recent tax hike.

The recall effort has gotten under the Democratic leadership’s skin, and for good reason: It’s likely to succeed and it will cost Democrats their supermajority in the Senate if it does. Without a supermajority, it’s a tougher process for the majority party to pursue its favorite pastime: raising taxes on the people they view as freeloaders. You know the drill. If California taxpayers and employers get to keep more of our own money, we’re being selfish.

Meanwhile, as I documented in my recent Spectator column, the San Jose police sergeant who, say, grabbed a $552,000 compensation package, Oakland city engineer who quadrupled his salary by racking up $299,000 in overtime last year alone, and six police and fire officials who walked away with $1 million payouts on top of their already generous pensions apparently are heroes devoted to public service. So, too, are the government workers and politicians who have driven the state’s unfunded pension liabilities (i.e., debt) to $1 trillion, based on some credible estimates.

Brown — in his revised May budget released last week — has decided to double the state’s payments to the pension funds to help reduce escalating debt levels. Brown has come up with a clever way to get that extra money. He’s borrowing it at low interest rates from the state’s Surplus Money Investment Fund and pre-paying the pension debt. It’s the same thing that consumers do when they pay off one high-interest credit card with a lower-interest loan.

(EXCERPT) CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST....
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 09:01:04 pm by SirLinksALot »

rangerrebew

California Governor Jerry Brown Calls Taxpayers ‘Freeloaders’

By Wayne | Featured Contributor | May 17, 2017 8:05PM

California Governor Jerry Brown is not making any friends anytime soon by calling the taxpayers of his state freeloaders.

What would possess the state’s leader to talk bad about his voters like that? It seems that Brown is not happy with the voters of California because they don’t agree to his proposal of a new gas tax and car fee hikes.

“The freeloaders — I’ve had enough of them … They have a president that doesn’t tell the truth and they’re following suit.”

The liberal state with liberal lawmakers and a governor so goofy he’s nicknamed “Governor Moonbeam” can only pay for unsupported programs by taxing the average California citizen more. They just need to pass a law that says, ‘you can have 15% of your income and we will spend the rest!’ If the Pacific Ocean doesn’t absorb you, Californians, your Democrat friends will.

Kira Davis, commenting at RedState, remarks:

Read more: http://thepoliticalinsider.com/california-governor-jerry-brown-freeloaders/#ixzz4hSyvRjP2

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

Brown's constituency is largely those who don't pay taxes, plus the government employees, and other "elites."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline flowers

Bill aims to base traffic fines on income in California

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Bill-aims-to-base-traffic-fines-on-income-in-11149839.php

A new bill moving through the California Senate would base the amount of a traffic violation fine on a person's income.

Senate Bill 185 would allow judges to reduce traffic violation fines by up to 80 percent if a person can prove they’re unable to pay the amount -- and only if their income is two-and-a-half times above the federal poverty line or less.

The savings would have provided a huge discount to Sacramento resident Tashuna Harding, who owns about $4,000 in fines associated with speeding tickets.

"I remember I was talking to one of the representatives and I was like, 'I can’t even afford to make the $50 payment this month,' and she was basically telling me, 'I don’t care,'" Harding said.