Author Topic: Report: California fish face extinction on increased level unless trends change  (Read 901 times)

rangerrebew

Report: California fish face extinction on increased level unless trends change
May 17, 2017 by Denis Cuff, East Bay Times

Nearly half of California's diverse types of native salmon, steelhead and trout are headed toward extinction in 50 years unless environmental trends are reversed, a team of scientists warn in a new report.

And nearly three-fourths - 21 of 31 types-will disappear in a century unless people figure out how to manage harm linked to dams, water diversions, habitat damage, global warming and other problems, said the scientists from the University of California, Davis and the CalTrout conservation group in the report released Tuesday.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-05-california-fish-extinction-trends.html#jCp

Offline Joe Wooten

Offline Joe Wooten

Another Snail Darter story IMHO from the IFL crowd.....
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 12:43:50 pm by Joe Wooten »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
See? Even the d@mn fish are leaving the state!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Re: Report: California fish face extinction on increased level unless trends change

You mean, they're gonna be even more extinct than they would be otherwise?

Yeah, that headline does sound just as stupid as I thought it did.
Let it burn.

Offline Smokin Joe

You mean, they're gonna be even more extinct than they would be otherwise?

Yeah, that headline does sound just as stupid as I thought it did.
Now that you mention it...it does.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Wow, you mean that that old tech used in fish farms to raise and increase diverse types of fish has been lost to us? Fish can only exist in the wild, without any intrusion of man? Something smells quite strongly of bovine excrement.

Offline Joe Wooten

Wow, you mean that that old tech used in fish farms to raise and increase diverse types of fish has been lost to us? Fish can only exist in the wild, without any intrusion of man? Something smells quite strongly of bovine excrement.

Or Piscine Excrement?????

Offline Smokin Joe

Or Piscine Excrement?????
Hard to get a whiff without getting water up your nose...

C S Lewis