Author Topic: US teen died after drinking caffeine too quickly, coroner says  (Read 4958 times)

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Re: US teen died after drinking caffeine too quickly, coroner says
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2017, 06:46:40 pm »
My research says chocolate has both theobromine and caffeine. However I'd never heard of theobromine so I learned something new.  :laugh:

http://www.consumerlab.com/answers/How+much+caffeine+is+really+in+dark+chocolate+bars/caffeine_dark_chocolate/

Theobromine is the substance that makes chocolate toxic for dogs.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2017, 07:10:53 pm »
Maybe. Soda isn't exactly a health drink.

With age comes wisdom... And while I admit to receiving less than my fair share, I have come to find out that most everything in the processed foods category is unhealthy. Go figger.

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2017, 07:12:11 pm »
Theobromine is the substance that makes chocolate toxic for dogs.

What ALSO makes chocolate deadly for dogs is that if they eat my chocolate I will KILL THEM!!

See, when I (and many others) have a major chocolate craving attack, it must be satisfied immediately and completely. There is no time to go to the corner and get something that is meh. Special Dark, 1 lbs. is in the pantry for a REASON. NOW means, NOW. Not some generic brand substitute for Hershey's. Not in ten minutes. Not in five minutes. NOW.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 07:13:08 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2017, 08:14:39 pm »
What ALSO makes chocolate deadly for dogs is that if they eat my chocolate I will KILL THEM!!

See, when I (and many others) have a major chocolate craving attack, it must be satisfied immediately and completely. There is no time to go to the corner and get something that is meh. Special Dark, 1 lbs. is in the pantry for a REASON. NOW means, NOW. Not some generic brand substitute for Hershey's. Not in ten minutes. Not in five minutes. NOW.

Do they have an alert bracelet or necklace for that condition? Something that says "Administer Chocolate, NOW!"?
"I'm out of Chocolate and I can't get up! "
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Silver Pines

« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2017, 11:05:01 pm »
Chocolate coffee is wonderful. Bring it on!

@Freya

We usually drink regular Dunkin that my husband brews up strong, but every now and then we like this stuff.  When I buy it, the cashiers always say, "Oh, my gosh, that smells wonderful!"  The chocolate-coffee smell comes right through the bag.

Silver Pines

« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2017, 11:08:53 pm »
Chocolate supposedly has no (edited) natural caffeine but it has a stimulant in the same family (xanthines) called theobromine.  Cocaine is also a xanthine and theobromine is actually more similar chemically to cocaine than to caffeine. Theobromine is a non-striated muscle stimulant. Non-striated muscles include the heart.  So chocolate will stimulate the heart muscle.

The effect of theobromine is very similar to caffeine in many ways (central nervous system stimulant), so it is understandable that non-technical people would confuse it with caffeine. In a practical sense, there is little difference between the two. Although the chemical similarity between theobromine and cocaine may help to explain the highly seductive nature of chocolate. heh

Personally, I like dark chocolate - not only for the increased flavor but also because it is higher in healthful anti-oxidants than lighter chocolate. Same goes for light and dark beer. For some reason, the foods with the more intense colors are generally more healthful than foods with less color.

@LateForLunch

Wow,  you know your coffee and your chocolate.  Admirable traits, lol.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2017, 11:15:04 pm »
We usually drink regular Dunkin that my husband brews up strong, but every now and then we like this stuff.  When I buy it, the cashiers always say, "Oh, my gosh, that smells wonderful!"  The chocolate-coffee smell comes right through the bag.

@CatherineofAragon
@Freya

My favorite thing in the chocolate and coffee department is strong, hot, black coffee and a crisply cold pair of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.

It don't get no better than that, right there.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 11:15:34 pm by roamer_1 »

Silver Pines

« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2017, 11:22:59 pm »
@CatherineofAragon
@Freya

My favorite thing in the chocolate and coffee department is strong, hot, black coffee and a crisply cold pair of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.

It don't get no better than that, right there.

@roamer_1

Good grief, that sounds good.  And now, because of you, I'm going to go get the bag of dark chocolate Reese cups in the pantry and put them in the fridge, lol.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2017, 11:27:46 pm »

Good grief, that sounds good.  And now, because of you, I'm going to go get the bag of dark chocolate Reese cups in the pantry and put them in the fridge, lol.

@CatherineofAragon

888high58888