Author Topic: Reddit Community Turns To Full-Scale Revolt On Bill Nye  (Read 1827 times)

rangerrebew

Reddit Community Turns To Full-Scale Revolt On Bill Nye
« on: May 17, 2017, 11:32:13 am »
Reddit Community Turns To Full-Scale Revolt On Bill Nye

Posted By Andrew Follett On 10:17 PM 05/16/2017 In | No Comments

Comedian Bill Nye’s new Netflix TV show, “Bill Nye Saves the Earth,” was harshly criticized on Reddit Tuesday for being too mean and political.

The post complains that Nye, who is well known for hosting a children’s TV show in the 1990s, left his objective “Science Guy” persona behind in favor of becoming blatantly political and bashing anyone who disagrees with him. The Reddit post received more than 71,000 upvotes and over 14,000 comments as of Tuesday evening. It has been “gilded” 8 times, and each of these means that someone on Reddit paid about $4 dollars to the author for writing it.

Article printed from The Daily Caller: http://dailycaller.com

URL to article: http://dailycaller.com/2017/05/16/reddit-community-turns-to-full-scale-revolt-on-bill-nye/

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
Re: Reddit Community Turns To Full-Scale Revolt On Bill Nye
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 03:29:01 pm »
heh the only way I'd ever watch anything with that fruitcake is if he committed seppuku on live T.V.! I'd buy THAT for a dollar!
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 03:46:09 pm »
... was harshly criticized on Reddit Tuesday for being too mean and political.

That's the criticism?  How about we criticize his support of nonscience in pursuit of a leftist agenda.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 03:54:55 pm »
That's the criticism?  How about we criticize his support of nonscience in pursuit of a leftist agenda.

I'll take what I can get. Don't forget, a shedload of redditors "understand science" because they watch Big Bang Theory.  *****rollingeyes*****
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 03:56:44 pm »
Very well deserved revolt against Bill Nye The Dufus Guy.
The Republic is lost.

Offline LetsTalk

• Right Here. Right Now.
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 04:11:03 pm »
I wish this were an issue limited to Bill Nye, but it isn't. Bill Nye is simply the living embodiment of the current, highly-politicized state of science. As more and more of our culture is dictated by science, it's become more and more self-serving, authoritarian, and ultimately, corrupt.

Just like politics.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 04:12:14 pm by LetsTalk »
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly
to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly."

-Albert Einstein

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 04:13:34 pm »
If our culture was dictated by science - as in the scientific method - I'd not worry over much. It's the religion of "Science!" that the lefties have created that causes problems.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 04:16:00 pm »
I wish this were an issue limited to Bill Nye, but it isn't. Bill Nye is simply the living embodiment of the current, highly-politicized state of science. As more and more of our culture is dictated by science, it's become more and more self-serving, authoritarian, and ultimately, corrupt.

Just like politics.

He's not a scientist, too. IMO he's committing out and out fraud.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 04:28:30 pm »
heh the only way I'd ever watch anything with that fruitcake is if he committed seppuku on live T.V.! I'd buy THAT for a dollar!

"Belly Cross - This is the most formal style of cut. It takes guts."

AHAHAHAHAHA!! I see what the artist did there!

Comedian Bill Nye’s new Netflix TV show...

Bill Nye is a comedian?  Who knew?   :shrug:
Let it burn.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 08:30:48 pm »
@Just_Victor

The original post...

I think I'm done with Bill Nye. His new show sucks. (self.television)
submitted 1 day ago by Sloth859x9
I am about halfway through Bill Nye Saves the World, and I am completely disappointed. I've been a huge fan of Bill Bye since I was ten. Bill Nye the Science Guy was entertaining and educational. Bill Nye Saves the World is neither. In this show he simply brings up an issue, tells you which side you should be on, and then makes fun of people on the other side. To make things worst he does this in the most boring way possible in front of crowd that honestly seems retarded. He doesn't properly explain anything, and he misrepresents every opposing view.

I just finished watching the fad diet episode. He presents Paleo as "only eating meat" which is not even close to what Paleo is. Paleo is about eating nutrient rich food, and avoiding processed food, grains and sugar. It is protein heavy, but is definitely not all protein. He laughs that cavemen died young, but forgets to mention that they had very low markers of cardiovascular disease.

In the first episode he shuts down nuclear power simply because "nobody wants it." Really? That's his go to argument? There was no discussion about handling nuclear waste, or the nuclear disaster in Japan. A panelist states that the main problem with nuclear energy is the long time it takes to build a nuclear plant (because of all the red tape). So we have a major issue (climate change caused by burning hydrocarbons), and a potential solution (nuclear energy), but we are going to dismiss it because people don't want it and because of the policies in place by our government. Meanwhile, any problems with clean energy are simply challenges that need to be addressed, and we need to change policy to help support clean energy and we need to change public opinion on it.

In the alternative medicine episode he dismisses a vinegar based alternative medicine because it doesn't reduce the acidity level of a solution. He dismiss the fact that vinegar has been used to treat upset stomach for a long time. How does vinegar treat an upset stomach? Does it actually work, or is it a placebo affect? Does it work in some cases, and not in others? If it does anything, does it just treat a symptom, or does it fix the root cause? I don't know the answer to any of these questions because he just dismissed it as wrong and only showed me that it doesn't change the pH level of an acidic solution. Also, there are many foods that are believed to help prevent diseases like fish (for heart health), high fiber breads (for colon cancer), and citrus fruits (for scurvy). A healthy diet and exercise will help prevent cardiovascular disease, and will help reduce your blood pressure among other benefits. So obviously there is some reasoning behind some alternative medicine and practices and to dismiss it all as a whole is stupid.

I just don't see the point of this show. It's just a big circle jerk. It's not going to convince anyone that they're wrong, and it's definitely not going to entertain anyone. It's basically just a very poor copy of Penn and Teller's BS! show, just with all intelligent thought removed.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 09:32:38 pm »
If our culture was dictated by science - as in the scientific method - I'd not worry over much. It's the religion of "Science!" that the lefties have created that causes problems.

Yep, the religion of IFLS (I Ffing Love Science), complete with its most holy sacrament of abortion.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 09:58:59 pm »
Yes, they've been blinded with... "science!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2VNxmn0lNA
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 12:40:37 am by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 10:35:50 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2VNxmn0lNA
The term I've heard is  "scientism." That is fake science dressed up as irrefutable truth. Something like forty years ago when we were supposed to panic over global freezing.  If you were a dissenter at the time, you would have been accused of being (gasp) A DENIER!!!!
And then there was Paul Erhlich and number of others predicting imminent starvation for many millions.
All of that was shrieked at us from scientists and other so-called "experts."
So what are we to make of global warming, or anthropogenic global warming?
Is it possible? I guess....I'm no scientist.
But when they start predicting awful things unless we radically change our free-market economies and power industries, red flags go up for me. Nothing good can come from global warming? Wasn't the earth a lot warmer in its history? Yes.  Then how did it survive much warmer weather if increases in temp. were supposed to kill everything? Twenty years ago they were predicting global disasters by this time that haven't happened.
If they would have said the climate is rising due to man-made global warming, but we don't know the ramifications, I would have been less alarmed.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 10:36:37 pm by goatprairie »