Author Topic: Amid Puerto Rico’s Fiscal Ruins, a New Push for Statehood  (Read 1270 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

It is a proudly Spanish-speaking territory at a time when the White House has taken down the Spanish version of its website. It is as materially poor as it is culturally rich. And Puerto Rico has entered a new and exotic version of bankruptcy, facing a staggering $123 billion in debt and pension obligations.

In short, it is difficult to imagine a worse time for governing-party officials in this struggling Caribbean commonwealth to persuade Washington it is ready to become the 51st American state.

But they have pledged to make their case anyway.

Tell them that it seems impossible, and they will conjure the long moral arc of the universe and how it bends toward Puerto Rican statehood. “That’s what they told the blacks,” an indignant Ramón Rosario Cortés, Puerto Rico’s public affairs secretary, said in an interview last week. “That they were wasting their time attending the marches of Martin Luther King Jr. because nobody was ever going to hear the cry of the people!”

A vigorous push for statehood was a central campaign promise of Gov. Ricardo Rosselló, 38, who was inaugurated in January. Next month, he will ask residents to vote, in a nonbinding referendum, for statehood as part of a long-term fix for a commonwealth facing a period of severe austerity that is likely to include shuttered public schools, frozen salaries, slashed pensions and crimped investments in public health. The island remains in the grip of a recession that has lingered for much of the past decade.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/16/us/puerto-rico-statehood.html?_r=0
Exactly why would we do this, incorporate a financially-ruined government as a state?

I do hope saner heads will prevail.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Amid Puerto Rico’s Fiscal Ruins, a New Push for Statehood
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 09:20:36 pm »
Exactly why would we do this, incorporate a financially-ruined government as a state?

Optics. How bad can things be if a nation WANTS to join the USA fully? It'd also spit in the Worm's eye - they said no to statehood when he were in the WH.

As to the fiscal sanity of accepting them - no comment.  :tongue2:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Wingnut

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 09:25:38 pm »
We don't need another Welfare state. Everybody pulled his weight
Gee, our old La Salle ran great.

geronl

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 09:26:58 pm »
Seriously bad timing.

I guess Puerto Ricans want to pay all those new taxes?

geronl

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 09:27:42 pm »
Optics. How bad can things be if a nation WANTS to join the USA fully? It'd also spit in the Worm's eye - they said no to statehood when he were in the WH.

As to the fiscal sanity of accepting them - no comment.  :tongue2:

Well, at least it isn't Scotland...

Wingnut

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 09:30:32 pm »
Well, at least it isn't Scotland...

The only thing wrong with scotland is that it is full of Scots.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 09:32:08 pm »
Don't go a pushin that button!!!!  :tongue2:

If they ask for statehood, they'll get it though - doesn't matter who's in power. Presidents like to be remembered, and how many really get the chance to expand the Union?  :shrug:

Wingnut

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 09:35:35 pm »
Don't go a pushin that button!!!!  :tongue2:

If they ask for statehood, they'll get it though - doesn't matter who's in power. Presidents like to be remembered, and how many really get the chance to expand the Union?  :shrug:

Ain't gonna happen.  Seriously it would so mess up the Star Field.  It ain't like the Union Jack. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 09:36:14 pm by Wingnut »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 09:37:54 pm »
Ain't gonna happen.  Seriously it would so mess up the Star Field.  It ain't like the Union Jack.

Already designed: https://www.flaginstitute.org/wp/2015/01/flag-week-usa-51-stars/

Offline flowers

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 09:42:05 pm »
The left would love this....PR will vote democrat. New lifetime voter base. The only reason they want this, if PR voted R, no way this would even be a issue. Schumer and Pelosi got money in the CR for PR.

Why would they even care, if it wasn't for that voter base?

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 10:34:00 pm »
No statehood -- one would expect The New York Times to try to get as much leftist mileage out of this as they could.

Actually, I agree with those who clamor for Puerto Rican independence.

Let's give it to them!

Wingnut

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 10:55:13 pm »
Already designed: https://www.flaginstitute.org/wp/2015/01/flag-week-usa-51-stars/

Well those suck.  If I had my way we would go back to the 1959 flag.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 11:10:35 pm »
No statehood -- one would expect The New York Times to try to get as much leftist mileage out of this as they could.

Actually, I agree with those who clamor for Puerto Rican independence.

Let's give it to them!
Independence usually only gets about 5% in those referendums they hold down there every now and then.  Statehood and keeping things as they are get about the same pct.
I got on another talk forum recently with some leftist from PR who thought the U.S. only wants to exploit Puerto Rico for typical greedy, capitalist, running dog reasons. I informed the troll that most Americans would like nothing more than to grant PR independence and keep the billions it wastes on trying to keep PR solvent. Let the commies run it, and see how they like it.

Offline rodamala

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 01:21:29 am »

Non-issue.  The flag would remain at 50 stars as Caliphornia leaves to Union.

Though... Texas might go first.

@EC
@Wingnut