Author Topic: Rival Senate healthcare group seeks to make waves  (Read 1015 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Rival Senate healthcare group seeks to make waves
« on: May 14, 2017, 11:22:54 pm »
The Hill By Nathaniel Weixel - 05/14/17

A rival group of Republican senators is seeking leverage to influence the direction of the Senate’s ObamaCare replacement bill.

The group, led by Sens. Susan Collins (R-Maine) and Bill Cassidy (R-La.), has been meeting “a couple times a week,” according to Sen. Shelly Moore Capitol (R-W.Va.).

Cassidy is a physician and Collins is a former state insurance commissioner. Both have been outspoken opponents of the House-passed American Healthcare Act, and have co-sponsored their own version of an ObamaCare repeal bill called the Patient Freedom Act.

Cassidy told The Hill he and Collins have been meeting with Senate leaders to talk about their legislation. However, he noted the politics of the Senate mean that every member’s voice matters.

“When you only have 52 senators, everybody has significant leverage. That tight vote margin means everyone is essential,” Cassidy said.

The main GOP working group on healthcare includes 13 men backed by Senate leadership who are seeking to bridge the divide between conservatives and centrists.

What ever legislation emerges from that group is likely to be the bill that comes to the Senate floor.

But if all of the Senate’s Democrats oppose the measure, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) will only be able to afford two defections.

That gives the other group leverage.

“Let’s look at it practically,” Capito  told The Hill. “You can only lose two votes on any one issue … so I think a bloc of four or five can be very effective.”

More: http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/333210-rival-senate-healthcare-group-seeks-to-make-waves

Offline rodamala

Re: Rival Senate healthcare group seeks to make waves
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 11:34:45 pm »
Patient Freedom Act... will be as much about "patient freedom" as the U.S.A.P.A.T.R.I.O.T. Act is about USA Patriots.

The only "Patient Freedom" will be when the federal government gets the F out of the healthscare insurance business and allows the actual healthcare system (not healthscare insurance) to be driven by fair, openly priced, free market competition.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 12:01:45 am »
Patient Freedom Act... will be as much about "patient freedom" as the U.S.A.P.A.T.R.I.O.T. Act is about USA Patriots.

The only "Patient Freedom" will be when the federal government gets the F out of the healthscare insurance business and allows the actual healthcare system (not healthscare insurance) to be driven by fair, openly priced, free market competition.
Let me know just ahead of when you believe the govt. will be entirely out of healthcare.

I am not going to hold my breath, or dream or expect it.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 11:02:10 am »
So? Maybe the my way or the highway is not good governance?
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 11:07:14 am »
Also, here is the reality.. To scale back the Government, we have to do it via attrition..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

geronl

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 11:15:21 am »
Also, here is the reality.. To scale back the Government, we have to do it via attrition..

A massive new entitlement, so-called "high-risk health pool", is not cutting back government

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 11:40:32 am »
Sorry folks, Americans have been sold down the river.

They're just arguing about how far, and for how much.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 11:51:50 am »
A massive new entitlement, so-called "high-risk health pool", is not cutting back government
So how do you expect those with high needs pay for health care, then? Die quickly, as lefty Alan Grayson puts it? Or maybe you believe Obamacare's the way to go and force me to pay for it, even though I don't have the resources either. Maybe you believe the health care workers should work as slaves, even as they're overworked as it is.

But no, anything that actually tries to neutralize this issue is "Entitlement! Squawk! Squawk!"

Face it: there's no good solution to this.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 12:48:53 pm »
So how do you expect those with high needs pay for health care, then? Die quickly, as lefty Alan Grayson puts it? Or maybe you believe Obamacare's the way to go and force me to pay for it, even though I don't have the resources either. Maybe you believe the health care workers should work as slaves, even as they're overworked as it is.

But no, anything that actually tries to neutralize this issue is "Entitlement! Squawk! Squawk!"

Face it: there's no good solution to this.
If there was a good solution, Obamacare killed it by wiping out insurance coverage for a multitude.
 While some of the high risk (cost) pool will be people with birth defects, cancer survivors, those with rare diseases or genetic disorders, life-changing accidents, and the like, a significant portion (and likely the ones who have the 'juice' on K street) are AIDS/HIV patients, commonly either homosexuals or IV drug users or both. There are currently roughly 1.3 million people, whose medical care cost is estimated to be between $600K and $750K each, for a total of  roughly a trillion dollars, and that does not count new cases going forward.

Unfortunately, in a sea of people with self-inflicted wounds, those bludgeoned by fate who were covered before will be the ones to suffer.

For a heavy dose of reality, anyway, we, the people would have ended up picking up the tab for the unfortunates, the malingerers, the people who were infected because of their "lifestyle" and others who were infected by virtue of anything from poorly sterilized surgical/dental equipment to misfortune. We would have paid for those injured in severe accidents, court-ordered treatment and rehab, and a host of other maladies that would have been covered by Medicaid or other programs, or simply tacked onto the hospital bills of those who could afford to pay or who had insurance. It's always been part of the cost of those $7 aspirin.
Unfortunately, now that the entire system has been damaged, the question is one of how can we, as efficiently and economically as possible, provide care to those we would have provided care to anyway, restore those who had insurance to being insured at similar prices, with reasonably similar benefits or plans they choose to mitigate costs, and restore the industry as efficiently and economically as possible.
Causing the generation of extra levels of paperwork and increased processing costs is not the solution, and unfortunately, the damage that has been done is largely a fait accompli, and in many cases not something that can be undone, at least on a personal level.

Medicaid involves means testing, and in this state, possession of $10K in assets renders one ineligible. The implication for older people who had insurance and lost it due to Obamacare is that they must divest themselves of all assets before qualifying, literally losing their life's savings. A single decent used vehicle can put them over the top.
The situation is one of people having done the right thing for decades now being kicked to the curb, and that is something that should be addressed as well.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis