Author Topic: In Arizona, teachers can now be hired with absolutely no training in how to teach  (Read 867 times)

rangerrebew

In Arizona, teachers can now be hired with absolutely no training in how to teach
By Valerie Strauss May 14 at 9:23 AM

Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey (R) in 2015. (Ross D. Franklin/AP)

New legislation signed into law in Arizona by Republican Gov. Doug Ducey (R) will allow teachers to be hired with no formal teaching training, as long as they have five years of experience in fields “relevant” to the subject they are teaching. What’s “relevant” isn’t clear.

The Arizona law is part of a disturbing trend nationwide to allow teachers without certification or even any teacher preparation to be hired and put immediately to work in the classroom in large part to help close persistent teacher shortages. It plays into a misconception that anyone can teach if they know a particular subject and that it is not really necessary to first learn about curriculum, classroom management and instruction.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2017/05/14/in-arizona-teachers-can-now-be-hired-with-absolutely-no-training-in-how-to-teach/?utm_term=.bc461b7f629a
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 11:42:34 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Polly Ticks

In Arizona, teachers can now be hired with absolutely no training in how to teach
By Valerie Strauss May 14 at 9:23 AM

Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey (R) in 2015. (Ross D. Franklin/AP)

New legislation signed into law in Arizona by Republican Gov. Doug Ducey (R) will allow teachers to be hired with no formal teaching training, as long as they have five years of experience in fields “relevant” to the subject they are teaching. What’s “relevant” isn’t clear.

The Arizona law is part of a disturbing trend nationwide to allow teachers without certification or even any teacher preparation to be hired and put immediately to work in the classroom in large part to help close persistent teacher shortages. It plays into a misconception that anyone can teach if they know a particular subject and that it is not really necessary to first learn about curriculum, classroom management and instruction.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2017/05/14/in-arizona-teachers-can-now-be-hired-with-absolutely-no-training-in-how-to-teach/?utm_term=.bc461b7f629a

I'd rather learn something from a person who knows their topic than from a person who does "classroom management".

A focus on "curriculum and classroom management" has also led to kids in Elementary school being asked to sit still and not talk for hours at a time, which is pretty much exactly how to make an ADHD kid hate the very idea of school.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I'd rather learn something from a person who knows their topic than from a person who does "classroom management".

A focus on "curriculum and classroom management" has also led to kids in Elementary school being asked to sit still and not talk for hours at a time, which is pretty much exactly how to make an ADHD kid hate the very idea of school.
I ran into that in the 80s when I asked about an opening for an Earth Science teacher. They couldn't hire me, because I didn't have the requisite two years of psychology and sociology and education courses, even though I had a BS in Geology with a strong background in chemistry and physics...
Part of all this is to keep the adjunct counseling and social services industries clicking along tickety-boo by ensuring a steady flow of miscreants and snowflakes. What normal kid would want to sit still inside for hours on a nice spring day?
When one consideres that two years worth of studies are involved in getting that education degree, even with crossovers which count for the basic requirements of a degree, that doesn't leave long to learn a specific subject, and many teachers get tapped for something that wasn't in their minor, anyway, should they even have one. THeir major was in "education".

I'd rather learn from someone who has actually done it for a living.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis