Author Topic: I support Trump — but he’s annoying us all By Michael Goodwin  (Read 4884 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Re: I support Trump — but he’s annoying us all By Michael Goodwin
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2017, 11:24:04 pm »
One of the reasons I voted for Mr. Trump was because I believed he'd be almost a literal "bull in the DC china shop".

He seems to be doing a bang-up job in that regard!
Aside from the futility of smashing up the house without an awful lot to rebuild it, which is always a possibility with
politicians in general and this president in particular, "bull" can be taken more than one way in this case. ;)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2017, 11:25:38 pm »
Don't be coy.  If that is the only thing you post about Reagan, it is for the purpose of denigrating.  Showing him as he really was would have necessitated the inclusion of a lot of other, different photos.  That's not what RIV did.

Edited to add: EasyAce said it much better than I did.
I posted the Lone Ranger, which is not Reagan, to show the era from which he came. Nothing more, nothing less. To say you overreact and look for anything to fight over is an understatement.

Remember, Nixon would have won if he shaved before the debate.

I don't denigrate them, I see them as they are. I loved and love Reagan.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2017, 11:29:52 pm »
Remember, Nixon would have won if he shaved before the debate.
I'm not so sure about that. Even if he'd shaved, his propensity to sweat on camera during that debate would have affected his image. Nixon simply wasn't
as telegenic in 1960 as he made himself later. He was an entirely different candidate and man in 1968.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2017, 11:55:22 pm »
Remember, we are talking about a person who needed a "safe space" on this forum during the primaries and election because she could handle no dissent or criticism.

Very, very similar to the one she idolizes. Let that sink in.

Yes, I remember vividly.  No dissent on her threads, and then she went on to throw bombs on anti-Trump comments and ran back to her safe space to belittle the same from within her safe space.  The debate threads were a particularly memorable illustration of that tactic.  Then she often accused those of us who were critical of Trump of that which, she herself was doing.

Cults of personality always infect True Believers with the personality traits of the demagogues they idolize.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2017, 12:16:23 am »
Yes, I remember vividly.  No dissent on her threads, and then she went on to throw bombs on anti-Trump comments and ran back to her safe space to belittle the same from within her safe space.  The debate threads were a particularly memorable illustration of that tactic.  Then she often accused those of us who were critical of Trump of that which, she herself was doing.

Cults of personality always infect True Believers with the personality traits of the demagogues they idolize.

Such internet drama, and on Sunday no less !! Diabolical. Cults. Will there be no end to it?

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2017, 12:43:16 am »
Such internet drama, and on Sunday no less !! Diabolical. Cults. Will there be no end to it?

Not so long as illustrations of True Believers for a cult of personality keep providing ample opportunity to point it out.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2017, 02:08:10 pm »
@Right_in_Virginia, I just don't understand why you have to go after people personally instead of commenting on the content.  Why do you do that?

It makes this an unpleasant place for everybody and encourages more of the same.  Just doesn't make sense.  Can't you go to TOS for that?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 02:09:09 pm by Sanguine »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2017, 02:17:28 pm »
Just a closing thought on this "Reagan thing":

I think conservatives should consider putting the genie they've come to call Ronald Reagan back in the bottle.  There is a cult of memory that has made Reagan larger than life, larger than he was and turned him into an obstacle for conservatism in the 21st century. 

Reagan was a good president who accomplished a few great things, not the least of which was the fall of communism and a restoration of our belief in America again .... which was lost after a mere four years of Jimmy Carter.

But Ronald Reagan was far from perfect.  Under his watch the US became a debtor nation ... and we've never recovered.  He spoke strongly for the unborn, and did nothing of substance to protect them.  Tariffs were applied, to the horror of free-traders and . . .  let's not forget the Iran-Contra "scandal" . . . the best that can be said of this is Reagan really didn't know it was going on. 

Alzheimer's.

It is time to put Ronald Reagan, the man, the presidency into proper context and perspective.   Both have been elevated to heights no mere mortal can compete with.  Remember the man, remember the presidency--as they both were.   Learn from both. 

But for God's sake, Ronald Reagan couldn't be the Ronald Reagan of today's rewrite.  And neither can any other political candidate. 

It's okay that Ronnie wasn't perfect and it's okay that no one today is him.   Ronnie answered the call of his time.  Someone else must answer the call of ours.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2017, 02:22:40 pm »
It's okay that Ronnie wasn't perfect and it's okay that no one today is him.   Ronnie answered the call of his time.  Someone else must answer the call of ours.

Agree with your statement. Don't agree with your conclusion.

People need legends.

It's uncomfortable watching a legend being made (and imagine how uncomfortable it's got to be to be the subject of a legend being made) but Spock applies: "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2017, 02:23:06 pm »

I think conservatives should consider putting the genie they've come to call Ronald Reagan back in the bottle.  There is a cult of memory that has made Reagan larger than life, larger than he was and turned him into an obstacle for conservatism in the 21st century. 

Reagan was a good president who accomplished a few great things, not the least of which was the fall of communism and a restoration of our belief in America again .... which was lost after a mere four years of Jimmy Carter.

But Ronald Reagan was far from perfect.  Under his watch the US became a debtor nation ... and we've never recovered.  He spoke strongly for the unborn, and did nothing of substance to protect them.  Tariffs were applied, to the horror of free-traders and . . .  let's not forget the Iran-Contra "scandal" . . . the best that can be said of this is Reagan really didn't know it was going on. 

Alzheimer's.

It is time to put Ronald Reagan, the man, the presidency into proper context and perspective.   Both have been elevated to heights no mere mortal can compete with.  Remember the man, remember the presidency--as they both were.   Learn from both. 

But for God's sake, Ronald Reagan couldn't be the Ronald Reagan of today's rewrite.  And neither can any other political candidate. 

This is good, RIV.  And, I agree with several of your points.   :beer:

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2017, 03:24:02 pm »

Exactly what the GOP Establishment and talking heads have been insisting for 4 years now (if not longer).  The despising of Reagan couched in a couple snippets of grace is become a tried-and-true DNA marker of GOP Party hacks for the Oligarchy.

Thanks for letting yours shine for all to see who and what you really are, not that your Trump Apologetics don't also call you out.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2017, 03:39:56 pm »
I just don't understand why you have to go after people personally instead of commenting on the content. 
@Sanguine
@mystery-ak 

Human behavior: When someone keeps doing the same behavior over and over, it means that behavior is part of his/her being - it serves a purpose for him/her.  A person who gets personal satisfaction for verbally attacking others, thereby in his/her own mind making him/herself superior than others, has to continually feed his/her ego (a person's sense of self-esteem or self-importance), so the behavior will likely not stop. 

A person like that is the antithesis of your tag lines, which are excellent:

"Walk in Wisdom
See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil."
"But the noble make noble plans, and by noble deeds they stand."

If you put him/her on "Ignore", the person is put in his/her "safe room", so you will not see that person's posts anymore unless someone copies it in their post.  If you see it on someone else's post, ignore that, too, don't respond to it.  If everyone who gets verbally attacked did that, the offending person would not get any responses to feed his/her ego, could not make another self serving post to continue demeaning the person he/she attacked.

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2017, 03:51:48 pm »
Exactly what the GOP Establishment and talking heads have been insisting for 4 years now (if not longer).  The despising of Reagan couched in a couple snippets of grace is become a tried-and-true DNA marker of GOP Party hacks for the Oligarchy. 

Oh, good grief @INVAR  I certainly don't "despise" Reagan .... and I understand who the man really was...and imperfect vessel who did his best, not a saint.

Please, stop with the gratuitous drama.

Silver Pines

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2017, 04:01:54 pm »
Do you take it as denigrating Reagan? I simply take it as depicting people as they actually were.

Reagan was a product of the entertainment society. Pointing that out, is not denigrating him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxIuIxqo2So

@truth_seeker

That's where the comparison stops.  Reagan went on to develop a political background and a solid, well-thought-out and well-read political ideology.  He was firm and specific in his beliefs and he could discuss them and promote them.  Then there was his time spent governing California. 

None of that applies to Trump.  He governs based on applause.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2017, 04:11:47 pm »
So, RIV, you've got to denigrate Reagan to make Trump look good?  That doesn't seem like a winning argument.

Is everyone forgetting that Reagan served two terms as Governor of California? The ignorance of history by Trumpsters is appalling.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2017, 04:12:56 pm »
Oh, good grief @INVAR  I certainly don't "despise" Reagan .... and I understand who the man really was...and imperfect vessel who did his best, not a saint.

Speaking of gratuitous drama, cool it with saying the we "hate" Trump. Your hubris is in overdrive.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2017, 04:16:42 pm »

You are PROJECTING yet again.

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2017, 04:18:54 pm »
You are PROJECTING yet again.

We will agree to disagree @INVAR

Enjoy your day.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2017, 05:28:50 pm »
@truth_seeker

That's where the comparison stops.  Reagan went on to develop a political background and a solid, well-thought-out and well-read political ideology.  He was firm and specific in his beliefs and he could discuss them and promote them.  Then there was his time spent governing California. 

None of that applies to Trump.  He governs based on applause.

Thanks for the info. I was a resident of California, during his time as Governor. I was an early supporter of him, too.

I have never compared Reagan and Trump, other than to say it helps to have the springboard of name recognition derived from entertainment publicity.

He had political awareness and ideas of his own over 28 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEPs17_AkTI

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2017, 05:40:56 pm »
Thanks for the info. I was a resident of California, during his time as Governor. I was an early supporter of him, too.

I have never compared Reagan and Trump, other than to say it helps to have the springboard of name recognition derived from entertainment publicity.

He had political awareness and ideas of his own over 28 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEPs17_AkTI

Hehe. I love how Trump's statements of 28 years ago are fair game... sometimes. But God forbid we go back 28 months to something Trump said about the government paying for everybody's healthcare. Then we are HATERS!

You Trumpettes are priceless.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2017, 05:58:41 pm »
Is everyone forgetting that Reagan served two terms as Governor of California? The ignorance of history by Trumpsters is appalling.

Everyone @Night Hides Not is aware that the lives of Donald Trump and Ronald Reagan are different.  Ronald Reagan went from entertainment into politics---and the governorship of California.  Donald Trump built a multi-billion dollar organization of 500 global business entities, including television, employing over 22,450 around the world - - - and then entered politics.  But this does not mean they do not share real similarities.

Though each arrived from a different direction, both men share a bond with America's workers, military and law enforcement, a deep and abiding patriotism and a populist agenda to make America great again.

And each is the right man - - - for his time.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2017, 07:32:39 pm »
a deep and abiding patriotism and a populist agenda to make America great again.

And each is the right man - - - for his time.

I've read those sentiments before regarding patriotism and populism tied to a magnificent leader to right the wrongs of earlier failed leaders and government.

They resulted in the emergence of Fascism 85 years ago, beginning in Italy.

Nothing new under the sun.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2017, 08:02:08 pm »
I will be most respectful and kind to our resident octogenarian.

Stay well, dear @Victoria33  You're an inspiration.

Wow.   That's vicious, RIV.  Just wow.

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2017, 08:19:27 pm »
Wow.   That's vicious, RIV.  Just wow.

Didn't mean it to be ... I'll remove.  Thanks for letting me know.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2017, 08:22:20 pm »
Didn't mean it to be ... I'll remove.  Thanks for letting me know.

If it were from anyone else, I'd say it was just thoughtless, but you do have a bit of history that says it was thought out.

And, I would like to be wrong about this.