Author Topic: I support Trump — but he’s annoying us all By Michael Goodwin  (Read 4882 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Opinion
I support Trump — but he’s annoying us all

By Michael Goodwin

May 14, 2017 | 1:29am

Not long ago, a friend was reciting things she needed to do before celebrating Passover with her family: preparing the ritual foods, doing something special for her grandchildren and making room for her daughter’s in-laws.

Exhausted by the list, she looked at me and said, “It’s not easy being Jewish.”

I know the feeling. I’m a Donald Trump supporter.

The president rarely makes it easy on the faithful, often testing his tribe through errant word and deed. Even on his best days, he manages to insert a hurdle or two or 10.

more
http://nypost.com/2017/05/14/i-support-trump-but-hes-annoying-us-all/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: I support Trump — but he’s annoying us all By Michael Goodwin
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 01:03:08 pm »

Opinion
I support Trump — but he’s annoying us all

By Michael Goodwin

May 14, 2017 | 1:29am

Not long ago, a friend was reciting things she needed to do before celebrating Passover with her family: preparing the ritual foods, doing something special for her grandchildren and making room for her daughter’s in-laws.

Exhausted by the list, she looked at me and said, “It’s not easy being Jewish.”

I know the feeling. I’m a Donald Trump supporter.

The president rarely makes it easy on the faithful, often testing his tribe through errant word and deed. Even on his best days, he manages to insert a hurdle or two or 10.

more
http://nypost.com/2017/05/14/i-support-trump-but-hes-annoying-us-all/

It's just Trump being Trump. I don't know why anyone would find this shocking. This is what he does, this is who he is. He acted like this in the 2016 campaign, he acted like this in 2015 when the primaries were just starting, he acted like this in 2012 when he ran in that campaign (arguably he acted even worse in 2012 because of the birther stuff).

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 01:50:35 pm »
Not tweeting would reduce the level of annoyance some of us have.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 02:28:22 pm »
It's just Trump being Trump. I don't know why anyone would find this shocking. This is what he does, this is who he is. He acted like this in the 2016 campaign, he acted like this in 2015 when the primaries were just starting, he acted like this in 2012 when he ran in that campaign (arguably he acted even worse in 2012 because of the birther stuff).

Its who Donald Trump has always been. I haven't forgotten where Trump's rise to fame began. It began with Trump as a willing participant in trashy tabloid TV in the 1980s. Crap like Current Affairs.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 02:56:46 pm »

Nonsense.  If the tweeting stopped, most here would find something else to be annoyed with.  The hate runs deep.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 03:04:52 pm »

It's not the fact that he thinks those things.  In many ways it's good.  What's a major annoyance and embarrassment is that he says them publicly.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 03:09:48 pm »
Its who Donald Trump has always been. I haven't forgotten where Trump's rise to fame began. It began with Trump as a willing participant in trashy tabloid TV in the 1980s.

@Cripplecreek

« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 03:14:06 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 05:23:48 pm »

@Cripplecreek
I think there's a considerable difference between an actual actor (whose only political activity in those years involved
the Screen Actors Guild) who once made ads for cigarettes and a couple of turkeys on the big screen and a real estate guy
with a taste for or at least an inability to resist scandal. In Ronald Reagan's time there was nothing scandalous about
doing an ad for cigarettes (to name just a few, I can remember people like John Wayne, Jack Webb, Lucille Ball, Joan Crawford,
Jackie Robinson, Dan Dailey, Hank Aaron, James Arness, Bob Hope, William Bendix, Barbara Stanwyck, and John Cameron
Swayze endorsing them)---and there was certainly nothing terrible other than inspiring jokes about making a turkey or
two in the film world. (Please don't tell me you think Bedtime for Bonzo was the sine qua non of Reagan's film
career.)

If anyone thinks there was something horrible about hosting The General Electric Theater on television, they should
think again. There were worse dramatic anthologies on television at the time, and the list of guest stars on The General
Electric Theater
would drop a few jaws around here. Reagan credited the experience not just with completing his conversion
to conservatism---by way of his concurrent contract requirement to tour GE facilities and meet workers there, which he said
helped open him up to deeper conservative thought as time went on, right up to the moment GE canned him for a 1962 speech
criticising the Tennessee Valley Authority, which just so happened to be one of GE's big customers---but with really honing
his skills as a public speaker over the near-decade he spent hosting the show.

If someone doesn't know the difference between a dramatic anthology show (others of that time included Lux Television
Theater
, Four Star Theater, Studio One, Playhouse 90, and The Philco Television Playhouse)
and a tabloid-style news/gossip show on which someone isn't exactly averse to being covered, they should be pitied.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2017, 05:37:39 pm »

If someone doesn't know the difference between a dramatic anthology show (others of that time included Lux Television
Theater
, Four Star Theater, Studio One, Playhouse 90, and The Philco Television Playhouse)
and a tabloid-style news/gossip show on which someone isn't exactly averse to being covered, they should be pitied.

I think it's pathetic that in order to prop up Trump, they have to apply Trump's lack of character, lack of self-control and bombastic egomaniacal narcissism to Ronald Reagan in a vain attempt to excuse his behavior and suggest he is even in the same league as The Gipper.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2017, 05:40:54 pm »
I think it's pathetic that in order to prop up Trump, they have to apply Trump's lack of character, lack of self-control and bombastic egomaniacal narcissism to Ronald Reagan in a vain attempt to excuse his behavior and suggest he is even in the same league as The Gipper.
Besides, Donaldus Minimus didn't begin his career the way Ronaldus Maximus did---as a baseball broadcaster. ;)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2017, 05:55:21 pm »
Nonsense.  If the tweeting stopped, most here would find something else to be annoyed with.  The hate runs deep.

And if Trump shot people on 5th Avenue, you'd find a way to praise it - the obsequiousness runs even deeper.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 06:23:47 pm »

@Cripplecreek

So, RIV, you've got to denigrate Reagan to make Trump look good?  That doesn't seem like a winning argument.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 06:24:49 pm by Sanguine »

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2017, 08:17:36 pm »
I think there's a considerable difference between an actual actor

So many words .... so little thought  :laugh:

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2017, 08:27:38 pm »
So, RIV, you've got to denigrate Reagan to make Trump look good? 

Is reminding you that Ronald Reagan also started in the "arts" a denigration @Sanguine...would you like to know other similarities between the two men???-- 88devil:

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2017, 08:32:59 pm »

@INVAR ... 

Love ya  Boobala , you never disappoint.   :kisses2:

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2017, 08:34:46 pm »
I never know when I'm in the comedy thread.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2017, 09:05:46 pm »
@INVAR ... 

Love ya  Boobala , you never disappoint.   :kisses2:

That kind of reply is of course expected from BS propaganda artists when they get called out on their tactics.

Thanks for illustrating.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2017, 09:08:19 pm »
That kind of reply is of course expected from BS propaganda artists when they get called out on their tactics.

Thanks for illustrating.

Remember, we are talking about a person who needed a "safe space" on this forum during the primaries and election because she could handle no dissent or criticism.

Very, very similar to the one she idolizes. Let that sink in.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2017, 09:57:38 pm »
So many pictures .... so little thought  :laugh:
Fixed.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2017, 10:06:50 pm »
So, RIV, you've got to denigrate Reagan to make Trump look good?  That doesn't seem like a winning argument.
Do you take it as denigrating Reagan? I simply take it as depicting people as they actually were.

Reagan was a product of the entertainment society. Pointing that out, is not denigrating him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxIuIxqo2So
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 10:14:30 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2017, 10:22:15 pm »
Do you take it as denigrating Reagan? I simply take it as depicting people as they actually were.

Reagan was a product of the entertainment society. Pointing that out, is not denigrating him.
Saying Reagan was a product of the entertainment society is one thing. Suggesting his entertainment
society was the same thing as the 1980s-1990s tabloid version is something else again. The chosen images,
too, were somewhat disingenuous---choosing magazine ads (as if Reagan was the only actor or actress to
endorse cigarettes or clothes) and the box art for one particular turkey film he made (as if he was the only
actor or actress who made a few turkeys amidst their better works) could be taken as quite suggestive of the
thought that, well, he wasn't exactly Mr. Upright, considering attitudes today toward commercial endorsements.

Almost as if to say that conservatives supporting a former actor for president means they have no business
objecting to a realtor as president. Well, now. If you say it that way, without names or particulars, you
could say from there that a former actor was an exercise in a kind of frivolity compared to a former realtor.
Now add the names. You won't need anyone to tell you the distinctions, which only begin with Reagan's
adeptness at communicating---which he himself credited, I repeat, to his years hosting General Electric
Theater
and having to meet, greet, and speak to numerous GE facilities as part of his contract---and
Mr. Trump's clumsiness at it.

Maybe Mr. Trump, too, might have been served better hosting some sort of anthology series with concurrent
contractual requirements to meet, greet, and speak to people at his sponsors' facilities. It might not make
his politics or his performance in the presidency to date any more palatable to his critics, but it might make
him a lot less likely to trip all over himself when he communicates.

Though I suspect myself that, given the absolute choice, even some of Donaldus Minimus's more recalcitrant
supporters might prefer watching Bedtime for Bonzo over The Apprentice.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 10:24:55 pm by EasyAce »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2017, 10:59:45 pm »

Maybe Mr. Trump, too, might have been served better hosting some sort of anthology series with concurrent
contractual requirements to meet, greet, and speak to people at his sponsors' facilities. It might not make
his politics or his performance in the presidency to date any more palatable to his critics, but it might make
him a lot less likely to trip all over himself when he communicates.

Though I suspect myself that, given the absolute choice, even some of Donaldus Minimus's more recalcitrant
supporters might prefer watching Bedtime for Bonzo over The Apprentice.
I doubt that most of us plan to run for office. But if we did today, everything we left in our electronic messaging trails would be up for scrutiny.

Nixon was on the political scene much of my life until he resigned (and after). He was a typical politician. And essentially from my hometowns of Whittier, and San Clemente.  We were there, and so was he.

I was happy when he won in 1968 complete with his promise of a secret plan to end the Vietnam War. By the end of his time, I was fed up with him.

He went from great guy, VP, Potus--to an awful guy. The product of his own doing, but also the victim of politics, biased media, etc.

I do not place ANY OF THEM on pedestals. Not Reagan, not Trump, not even Sen. Ted Cruz, R-TX.

I expect them all to fall short, to become involved in some sort of scandal. It is almost by definition who they are.

Trump is doing, and trying to do the things conservatives have said they wanted for years. I give him lots of credit for that.

That is only common sense.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2017, 11:02:40 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxIuIxqo2So

Don't be coy.  If that is the only thing you post about Reagan, it is for the purpose of denigrating.  Showing him as he really was would have necessitated the inclusion of a lot of other, different photos.  That's not what RIV did.

Edited to add: EasyAce said it much better than I did.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 11:03:38 pm by Sanguine »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2017, 11:18:25 pm »
One of the reasons I voted for Mr. Trump was because I believed he'd be almost a literal "bull in the DC china shop".

He seems to be doing a bang-up job in that regard!

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2017, 11:21:59 pm »
I doubt that most of us plan to run for office.

I wasn't brought up to make a life of organised crime. I'm sure you weren't, too. ;)

[Nixon] went from great guy, VP, Potus--to an awful guy. The product of his own doing, but also the victim of politics, biased media, etc.

It's just the way you put it. It was his personality and his mode of operation that did him in.---John Mitchell, to Len Colodny and Robert Gittlin,
when they interviewed him while researching their should-read book Silent Coup: The Removal of a President. (Among other things, Colodny and
Gittlin argued in the book that Mitchell was essentially fingered by John Dean---the real Watergate mastermind---and that Nixon never troubled himself
to find the truth instead of posting Mitchell as a kind of sacrificial lamb.)

I expect them all to fall short, to become involved in some sort of scandal. It is almost by definition who they are.
Give me the man or woman who has to be dragged kicking and screaming to run for office. We'd be way better off.

Trump is doing, and trying to do the things conservatives have said they wanted for years. I give him lots of credit for that.

That is only common sense.
Assuming you're right (for me the jury's still out), when he does right, give the man credit. When he does wrong, it's pointless to try
justifying or excusing it. That's what we zapped about Democrats and about other errant Republicans.