Author Topic: Fox News Channel ratings are collapsing  (Read 1757 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

Fox News Channel ratings are collapsing
« on: May 14, 2017, 04:08:19 am »
SOURCE: AMERICAN THINKER

URL: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2017/05/fox_news_channel_ratings_are_collapsing.html

By Thomas Lisfon

The tectonic plates of cable news ratings are shifting, as Fox News struggles to recover from sexual harassment scandals and the departure of its most popular host, Bill O'Reilly.  As the de facto champion of conservative views in the mass media, Fox News plays a vital role in the conservative movement, and these developments are a little scary, even for those of us who resent the recent drift of the channel.

The TV Newser ratings summaries tell the story.  Compare the data from random pre-scandal date of Thursday, November 17, 2016 with the latest, Thursday, May 11.

Mod:  Excerpt, click link for the rest of the story.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 08:36:45 am by Mod1 »

Offline Suppressed

Re: Fox News Channel ratings are collapsing
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 04:55:45 am »
Trump has that effect.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline DB

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 06:34:26 am »
The Murdoch boys want to be in the in crowd in Hollywood and DC. I suspect they are tired of being mocked as Faux News. To get in with them they're going to have to go left and in doing so they are going to lose what made Fox different than the others. Unless daddy steps in Fox is going to collapse as we know it. The pie on the left is split many ways already.

geronl

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 06:59:47 am »
Fox News Channel was never really a champion of conservative views, they simply tried to give both sides a hearing. Many of their hosts and news readers were and are in no way conservative. Shep Smith for example.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 07:54:16 am »
Fox News Channel was never really a champion of conservative views, they simply tried to give both sides a hearing. Many of their hosts and news readers were and are in no way conservative. Shep Smith for example.
Precisely. It has ever galled me that they were described as "Right Wing", because they never were. They have been in the Middle from day one.
All that "right wing" babble only let the moderates out there describe Conservatives as "extremists", which they did, undermining Conservatives everywhere and shifting the GOP farther to the left.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 08:07:52 am »
Trump has that effect.

he's the shit midas. Everything he touches...

Silver Pines

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 09:51:40 pm »
"As the de facto champion of conservative views in the mass media, Fox News plays a vital role in the conservative movement, and these developments are a little scary, even for those of us who resent the recent drift of the channel."

Seriously?  I'm unable to dredge up the barest trace of fear...not even a morsel of apprehension.

Fox was nothing but a propaganda network from the moment Ailes told Trump he would help him get elected.  That, along with running the place like a Playboy club, brought on all of its well-deserved problems.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 10:16:08 pm »
"As the de facto champion of conservative views in the mass media, Fox News plays a vital role in the conservative movement, and these developments are a little scary, even for those of us who resent the recent drift of the channel."

Seriously?  I'm unable to dredge up the barest trace of fear...not even a morsel of apprehension.

Fox was nothing but a propaganda network from the moment Ailes told Trump he would help him get elected.  That, along with running the place like a Playboy club, brought on all of its well-deserved problems.

Related story:

Jason Chaffetz going to Fox News

This is bound to pep things up for FNC.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2017, 10:20:17 pm »
Good..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2017, 10:29:25 pm »

Ignoring the "cable cutting" movement happening right now.

I'll submit conservatives are more likely to cut the cable, to save money and to escape mainstream programming, replete with continual ads.

I like Fox. Hannity, Dobbs, etc. I can listen on Sat. Radio. One Sirius XM subscription, listen on multiple devices including cars, laptops, smartphones, etc.

O'Reilly is already back on with a daily podcast on YouTube for now. Who knows where later.

Cable TV is dead, dead, dead. Or will be sooner than you might think.

One thing to say for Fox in that regard: They seem inclined adapt to that change, and not try to get paid as is the case with #nevertrump Beck, Levin etc.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Silver Pines

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2017, 10:32:19 pm »
Related story:

Jason Chaffetz going to Fox News

This is bound to pep things up for FNC.

@Cyber Liberty

Could be, but I question how much.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 10:38:27 pm »
Considering election season's over, well, this is kind of obvious.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline berdie

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2017, 10:43:02 pm »
Good..

I completely agree. When Ryan took the position...I just shook my head. Knowing full well he signed the death warrant to his political career. Nobody else wanted the job. That tells me something.

Pelosi herded cattle.
Ryan is trying to herd cats. Not that it a bad thing...it's just more difficult.

Silver Pines

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2017, 10:50:22 pm »
Ignoring the "cable cutting" movement happening right now.

I'll submit conservatives are more likely to cut the cable, to save money and to escape mainstream programming, replete with continual ads.

I like Fox. Hannity, Dobbs, etc. I can listen on Sat. Radio. One Sirius XM subscription, listen on multiple devices including cars, laptops, smartphones, etc.

O'Reilly is already back on with a daily podcast on YouTube for now. Who knows where later.

Cable TV is dead, dead, dead. Or will be sooner than you might think.

One thing to say for Fox in that regard: They seem inclined adapt to that change, and not try to get paid as is the case with #nevertrump Beck, Levin etc.

@truth_seeker

There are several shows on mainstream TV that I like very much.  Until decent streaming speeds are available in this area, we'll be sticking with Directv. 

When did conservatives start having a problem with people getting paid?  Beck and Levin and Trump and everyone else can make as much as they can haul in, as far as I'm concerned.

As far as news is concerned, I get it here or on Twitter. 

The author of the article is a little too panicked, in my opinion.  He made me remember an article I read a while back, though I can't recall the author, about the Fox "bubble" which may not be good for conservatives in the long run.  We depend on Fox for all of our news, and anything else is always fake or a lie.  We don't have to think anymore; we just accept everything the Fox heads shovel out.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2017, 11:10:25 pm »
@truth_seeker

There are several shows on mainstream TV that I like very much.  Until decent streaming speeds are available in this area, we'll be sticking with Directv. 

When did conservatives start having a problem with people getting paid?  Beck and Levin and Trump and everyone else can make as much as they can haul in, as far as I'm concerned.

As far as news is concerned, I get it here or on Twitter. 

The author of the article is a little too panicked, in my opinion.  He made me remember an article I read a while back, though I can't recall the author, about the Fox "bubble" which may not be good for conservatives in the long run.  We depend on Fox for all of our news, and anything else is always fake or a lie.  We don't have to think anymore; we just accept everything the Fox heads shovel out.
I completely cut the cable. Eventually I hope I might find a good $5 streaming news/political site.

But for now I won't pay for one. That is all.

If you can, check out YouTube on streaming. It has grown a great deal in terms of volume and range of content, quality of video etc. And for free.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline skeeter

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2017, 11:18:01 pm »

Yep. The other networks just made FNC look conservative.

Opinion shows notwithstanding. And even those attempt to give the other side a hearing.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2017, 11:22:07 pm »

And while Trump was crying about how mistreated he was by the media he was out playing Manservant and Chauffeur to a far richer man.

geronl

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2017, 02:01:21 am »

You pay about $1.50 a month for Fox News plus the constant ads.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2017, 01:27:22 pm »
Fox went downhill when it tried to shove Romney down our throats back in 2012.  It's influenced by whoever pays it the most money.  Today, it's owned by the Trumpsters.

Glad I don't have Fox anymore.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2017, 01:48:03 pm »
Fox went downhill when it tried to shove Romney down our throats back in 2012.  It's influenced by whoever pays it the most money.  Today, it's owned by the Trumpsters.

Glad I don't have Fox anymore.
Yeah. I remember the good ol' days when the Saudis pulled the strings...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2017, 04:58:33 pm »
Trump has that effect.

Probably to some degree, but it has at least as much to do with the fact that the far left has never ended the campaign, but simply shifted gears from trying to get a 'Crat elected, to trying to destroy the presidency of the Republican who won.  People are fairly sick of politics after two years of pre-election campaigning and the post election blitz of leftist agonizing and beard-tearing.

I think this article is to some degree click-bait. Immediately after elections (non election years) T.V. news viewers tend to have less interest in politics in general. So some of this loss of rating might be attributable to that. People who stopped watching Fox because they primarily liked watching O'Reilly may have simply decided that they'd rather not watch a news channel at all, and moved on to doing something else instead. I sure hope so.

Life is too short to spend much time fretting or ruminating over things like that.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 05:00:12 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2017, 05:21:43 pm »
Probably to some degree, but it has at least as much to do with the fact that the far left has never ended the campaign, but simply shifted gears from trying to get a 'Crat elected, to trying to destroy the presidency of the Republican who won.  People are fairly sick of politics after two years of pre-election campaigning and the post election blitz of leftist agonizing and beard-tearing.

I think this article is to some degree click-bait. Immediately after elections (non election years) T.V. news viewers tend to have less interest in politics in general. So some of this loss of rating might be attributable to that. People who stopped watching Fox because they primarily liked watching O'Reilly may have simply decided that they'd rather not watch a news channel at all, and moved on to doing something else instead. I sure hope so.

Life is too short to spend much time fretting or ruminating over things like that.

It's baseball season.  That explains a dramatic drop-off in ratings at the Liberty household, even if my team (Dbacks) is doing crappy.  I'd rather watch my team lose than watch that simpleton Sean Hannity.   :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2017, 05:56:06 pm »
It's baseball season.  That explains a dramatic drop-off in ratings at the Liberty household, even if my team (Dbacks) is doing crappy.  I'd rather watch my team lose than watch that simpleton Sean Hannity.   :shrug:

Yeah, Hannity is alright, but I find myself yelling at the radio sometimes when he debates leftists, because he misses obvious refutation points. He's not exactly an Olympic-class debater but his heart is mostly in the right place.

Speaking of being in the right place, your D-Backs are in the right place - leading the Giants by six games, only 3 out of first in a tough division and over .500 pct. Things could be a lot worse for your team. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 06:03:27 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2017, 06:24:14 pm »
Yeah, Hannity is alright, but I find myself yelling at the radio sometimes when he debates leftists, because he misses obvious refutation points. He's not exactly an Olympic-class debater but his heart is mostly in the right place.

Speaking of being in the right place, your D-Backs are in the right place - leading the Giants by six games, only 3 out of first in a tough division and over .500 pct. Things could be a lot worse for your team.

I agree about the Dbacks, and I feel sorry for the Giants (I usually cheer for them if the Dbacks are gone for some reason, like playoffs).  Mrs Liberty tells me their outfield is wiped out with injuries.  The division is surprisingly tough, NLW has not been the past few years, it seems.  It's just been a bit frustrating of late.  No excuse for losing last night with all those LOBs.  We're starting to get some hits, now we need timely hits.  I know, whine, whine, whine...

That problem with Hannity's inability to ask follow-up questions is exactly what drives me nutz about watching him  He's let so many libs slip right through his fingers.
I will NOT comply.