Author Topic: Largest US Solar Panel Maker Files For Bankruptcy After Receiving $206 Million In Subsidies  (Read 1422 times)

rangerrebew

Largest US Solar Panel Maker Files For Bankruptcy After Receiving $206 Million In Subsidies

Posted By Michael Bastasch On 9:35 AM 05/11/2017 In | No Comments

The company once hailed as Europe’s largest solar panel producer filed for bankruptcy Wednesday, blaming cheap Chinese panels for flooding the market.

“The ongoing price erosion and the development of the business” has left the company “over-indebted and thus obliged to file for insolvency proceedings,” SolarWorld, which is also the largest U.S. solar panel maker, said in a statement.

Article printed from The Daily Caller: http://dailycaller.com

URL to article: http://dailycaller.com/2017/05/11/largest-us-solar-panel-maker-files-for-bankruptcy-after-receiving-206-million-in-subsidies/

Offline Just_Victor

If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

geronl

Stop subsidizing failing businesses and industries

Offline Frank Cannon

Not to worry. The Welfare Queen known as Elon Musk is just introducing his next taxpayer fleecing scam to fill the void....

Why Tesla's Solar Roof Is Just Another Giant Taxpayer Gift To Elon Musk

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-05-11/why-teslas-solar-roof-just-another-giant-taxpayer-gift-elon-musk

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

I know it seems that way to us, but I think it is more like a washing machine.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
We should have built the wall out of solar panels.

Wingnut

What was that other scam company bilking tax payers a few years back..  solindra something.   

Offline Smokin Joe

What was that other scam company bilking tax payers a few years back..  solindra something.
That was another money laundering scheme, imho. Half a billion in federal loan guarantees and belly up shortly afterward. Money diverted to Democrat coffers, iirc.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline goatprairie

The other "scam company" for the last half century is known as the Democratic Party...or as I call it The Thief Party. Trillions of tax-payer dollars have been wasted on their wacko social schemes.

Offline goodwithagun

I need to start a foundation and/or alternative energy company. I'd be set. My great grandkids would be set. Oh wait, I have principles.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Even legendary oilman J.R. Ewing was cashing in when he shilled for SolarWorld

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccOSUMvjolA
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 04:32:00 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Solar works. But the economic part does not pay out. People do it for other reasons.

My town has put solar panels on parking, at various public facilities. The parking lot of city hall, and the big library look like solar farms.

So when it is taxpayer money involved, economics don't matter.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Am I the only one smelling "bail out"?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline truth_seeker

Solar and wind have been widely implemented in Europe. And Spain is very big. They sell power to Germany. From wiki:

"Subsidy reductions[edit]

In the wake of the 2008 financial crisis, the Spanish government drastically cut its subsidies for solar power and capped future increases in capacity at 500 MW per year, with effects upon the industry worldwide. "The solar industry in 2009 has been undermined by [a] collapse in demand due to the decision by Spain", according to Henning Wicht, a solar-power analyst.[2] In 2010, the Spanish government went further, retroactively cutting subsidies for existing solar projects, aiming to save several billion euro it owed.[5][20] According to the Photovoltaic Industry Association, several hundred photovoltaic plant operators may face bankruptcy.[21] Phil Dominy of Ernst & Young, comparing the feed-in tariff reductions in Germany and Italy, said; "Spain stands out as an example of how not to do it".[22] As a result, a Spanish association of solar power producers has announced its intention to go to court over the government's plans to cap solar subsidies. In 2014 alternative energy group NextEra filed a complaint against Spain at the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes.[23]'

Wingnut

Solar and wind have been widely implemented in Europe. And Spain is very big. They sell power to Germany. From wiki:

"Subsidy reductions[edit]

This is Merica.  We burn fossils for fuel by gawd!

Offline Smokin Joe

This is Merica.  We burn fossils for fuel by gawd!
Parts of Spain get better sun than parts of the US. For Photovoltaics at this latitude, it's almost better to use them for south side siding than put them on the roof because of the sun angle, and while they'll get 16 hours of sun in the height of summer, they'll only get eight in the winter (If you can keep the snow from burying them, or the wind doesn't blow them away).

C S Lewis

Offline truth_seeker

Parts of Spain get better sun than parts of the US. For Photovoltaics at this latitude, it's almost better to use them for south side siding than put them on the roof because of the sun angle, and while they'll get 16 hours of sun in the height of summer, they'll only get eight in the winter (If you can keep the snow from burying them, or the wind doesn't blow them away).

I remember reading about Solar farms in Spain, selling to Germany....a few years ago.

Variable are always built into economic evaluations. But in that case, the underestimated the amount and cost of maintenance, cleaning, replacing the panels themselves.

Seville Spain lines up with Sicily IT, Springfield MO, and San Jose CA. Austin TX lines up with Cairo Egypt

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand

That stink has wafted my way too.