Author Topic: Family Demands To Know How A 200-Pound Antique Anvil Disappeared From Area 51  (Read 1966 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
As if the situation couldn't get any more bizarre. Now the family locked in a major land use battle with the USAF over their property that overlooked the air base at Area 51 wants the Air Force to tell them how a 200-pound antique anvil disappeared from the property just weeks after it was officially seized.

The Sheahans have, in one way or another, been fighting the Air Force for decades. You should read all about this more than extraordinary struggle here. But now, more than a year after the property was condemned under eminent domain in the fall of 2015, the issue has come down to what the historic mine is worth. As of late last year, the two parties were as far apart as one can imagine. The USAF drastically dropped what it was willing to pay for the mine to a paltry $333,000, while the Sheahans claim the property could be worth as much as $116 million.
Family Says Land Overlooking Area 51 Is Worth $116M—USAF Says $330kBy Tyler Rogoway Posted in The War Zone
Area 51’s Massive New Hangar Shows Up in New Google Earth Images Of The Secret BaseBy Tyler Rogoway Posted in The War Zone
U.S. Air Force Is Planning Something Big in the Nevada DesertBy Joseph Trevithick Posted in The War Zone
The “Toxic Death” Paint Scheme Was The F-117 Nighthawk’s Most OutrageousBy Tyler Rogoway Posted in The War Zone
Secretary Of Defense Carter Keeps Touting The Secret Weapons He Has Up His SleeveBy Tyler Rogoway Posted in The War Zone

On top of that, the family says that by law all their personal property needs to be relocated from the site on the US Air Force's dime, a fact that seemed to have been a given when the condemnation process was executed. But now, according to the Sheahans, the Air Force isn't even going to do that. The family stated the following in a press release:

After seizing the Groom Mine Property from the Sheahan family through eminent domain, the U.S. Government confirmed it would take a small army, many months and $2.7 million to move 130 years worth of family  belongings from the property–not including storage fees, incidentals and other unforeseen costs. The Sheahan’s relocation expert agreed that the relocation would take several months, but the cost would be $4.5 million.

The government is now changing its initial position, arguing that it will only take several blocks of three to four days to move the belongings and cost less than $300,000 for both moving and storage. The government claims that this position is justified on the grounds that the mining equipment on the property is considered a fixture that is attached to the land and needs to be valued as part of it, not moved. However, the government initially took the exact opposite position when valuing the land, claiming the mining equipment should not be valued as part of the land, because it is personal property that needs to be moved.

“These grossly inconsistent positions are nothing more than an attempt to outright take our family’s personal property without just compensation,” said Joe Sheahan, one of the property owners.

More: http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/10100/family-demands-to-know-how-a-200-pound-antique-anvil-disappeared-from-area-51

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Lead/silver prospect, and may be worth money for just that, although it did not ever economically produce. Still, a 200 lb anvil is worth some money in good shape, especially an older American made one.

I see no sign the equipment has been in use recently in images of the site, but the property and effects there may be worth a lot, depending on the market. An independent appraiser both can agree on should be found, the property assessed, and proceed from there.

If there was an original agreement about what was to be moved, then that should stand, as to the expenses, either the Government does the moving work, or pays the actual billed expenses (let the Sheehans bid those out).

Why has the property been taken, anyway?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
It has line of sight for the hangers, I think. Mentioned in the report.

Offline Smokin Joe

It has line of sight for the hangers, I think. Mentioned in the report.
So plow up a berm, put up a fence. Sheesh. Do they thing a family that has been around that long are spies? (There wasn't even a USSR or Communist China, much less the current iteration of jihad).

I worked on an oil rig in the 90s within sight of the fence, (to the East), too. Lots of mirage, but you could see stuff come and go sometimes. Thought it was neat seeing the planes fly over, especially the F-16s and the A-10s, but I had my work to do, too.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 07:19:16 am by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
So plow up a berm, put up a fence. Sheesh. Do they thing a family that has been around that long are spies? (There wasn't even a USSR or Communist China, much less the current iteration of jihad).

I worked on an oil rig in the 90s within sight of the fence, (to the East), too. Lots of mirage, but you could see stuff come and go sometimes. Thought it was neat seeing the planes fly over, especially the F-16s and the A-10s, but I had my work to do, too.

Exactly. I'm in no wise averse to secrecy - it's needed more often than not - but hell. Got a family that have been there forever? Don't kick them out - co-opt them! Don't care how good the guards you have are, the people who live the land know it better than guards ever will.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Area51?

I can't resist @EC and @Smokin Joe

[attachment deleted by admin]
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
This is me being silly at 4 am. Can't sleep.

Offline Smokin Joe

This is me being silly at 4 am. Can't sleep.
LOL! Nothing much more strange than Joshua Trees and the guy I had to work with...

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
LOL! Nothing much more strange than Joshua Trees and the guy I had to work with...

Tomorrow morning at 4 am if I can't sleep, can I hear the story? Pretty please, @Smokin Joe ?

Offline Smokin Joe

Tomorrow morning at 4 am if I can't sleep, can I hear the story? Pretty please, @Smokin Joe ?
Not much to tell, but if I'm up, sure.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod

Yay!  :dancer: :da man:

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Meanwhile the air force allowed Chinese engineers to work on projects like the b2.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod

Ok. I'm awake. I have my teddy bear with me, in case it is a scary story, but I will not hold you to it @Smokin Joe

It's the weeeked! HuurraY! It's raining outside. Love the sound of rain, at night, I feel content listening to it.

You have a good one, Sir. No listening to Art Bell.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 08:59:12 am by Freya »

Offline Smokin Joe

Ok. I'm awake. I have my teddy bear with me, in case it is a scary story, but I will not hold you to it @Smokin Joe

It's the weeeked! HuurraY! It's raining outside. Love the sound of rain, at night, I feel content listening to it.

You have a good one, Sir. No listening to Art Bell.
@Freya Sorry, I slept in. THis is just a rough draft I hammered out, fwiw. I hope you don't feel robbed for time reading it.

In 1990 or 91 I was called by the consulting firm I was working for to go work a well in the Tikaboo Valley in Nevada. Nevada is kind of a treat for me as a geologist, simply because the geology of the state is not only fairly wild, but so nicely displayed, with relatively little vegetation in the way of looking at the rocks. Think of huge sheets of rock thousands of feet thick that formed in marine environments pushed over one another from the West, some 30 miles of lateral displacement or more, then faulted into basins by huge blocks being alternatively pushed up or dropped down, and then the basins formed filled in by volcanic ash, lava flows, and some stream deposits. It's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get.

This was the furthest Southwest my career has taken me so far, and I made the turn at Rachel, going past the Al-e-inn, complete with it's LGM (Little Green Man) Sign. This led back over the Roberts Range into the valley, which seemed pretty typical for most Nevada Valleys: rocks on the sides, desert in the middle. This was a well for an oil company I had worked for before, only elsewhere, and what is known as a 'rank wildcat', one of very few wells to be drilled in the area, a long shot which would speak to the potential for oil in the valley, or the lack thereof, but the only way to find out if theory persists past theory into the real world.

Outside of established field areas, wildcat wells in Nevada tend to be long shots, with only one in 75 producing oil in economic quantities, but often those wells which do 'hit' are big payouts, making up to 10,000 barrels of oil a day, and the discovery well for a field of similar wells.

Little did I know, that to the North was the town of Groom, Nevada, and to the west, what was carried on the old topographic maps as "Groom Air Strip: Abandoned", now know more commonly as "Area 51". Sometimes my lack of knowledge amazes me, and this was one of those times.

The desert is a hot, dry, but interesting place, something which, because of the heat, most people would see as if not at Hell's threshold as the last turn on the way there.

I have been a lot of different types of places, though, and following the lesson my grandfather taught me in the salt marshes of Maryland, I have learned to look for beauty wherever I go. To stop, be quiet, let the little noises of the local critters and landscape that stopped when I showed up resume and let all that around me get back to its everyday life. Only then can you see what is there, the amazing amount of life around you, watch it act and interact, and view nature rather than just disrupt it.

They guy I worked with shared the duties of the 24 hour day and the 8X32 lab/living trailer onsite by taking the part he wanted because he had seniority, and leaving the other 12 hours  to work and the top bunk for me, had chosen to work the daylight shift, and left me to work nights. That, in Nevada, and for my career, would turn out to be my preferred arrangement: The night belongs to Joe. 
It is cooler in the desert at night, sometimes getting down as low as subzero temperatures in the dead of winter at altitude (over 7000 ft.), mainly because there is none of the moisture in the air that normally insulates the earth, only about 80 percent of that atmospheric column (which is more dense at the bottom), and there were no bodies of water to hold the heat of the day, or, for that matter the cool of the night against its diurnal alter ego. The rocks and dust of the 'valley fill' shed their heat quickly, so the brutal heat of the day becomes (for me, at least) much more bearable at night.
The plants of the desert have a habit of assuming the same dusty dry sort of drab green as they lie waxy or brittle and dormant, waiting patiently for drops of moisture they can glean from the air, or when the sky has one of its rare outbursts, from the heavens and the soil itself. Still, among them is the intermittent and often abrupt, even furtive movement of life, eating and being eaten, scratching out its existence, often hiding in and among the spiny exteriors of the plants which provide them shelter and provender. In this area, those plants lie clumped and scattered along the desert floor, under the watchful arms of the relatively towering Joshua Trees.

I have only seen Joshua trees above 5000 feet in altitude, and recall the first time I ever saw one, at the extreme edge of my headlights' illumination after 28 hours of driving with only a short nap in the Bonneville Salt Flats on the way to the well from North Dakota.

I had reached that point of fatigue where I would not drive where there was traffic, but it was only me, the road, the night, and the occasional odd shadow that would prompt braking but never manifest itself as a corporeal entity, all rendered nearly in black and white by fatigue.

The drilling rig was looming ahead, lit brightly, a beacon in the otherwise pitch black night, and off in the edge of the feeble cone of light my headlights threw was this plant, that looked like an artist's rendering of scaly branching Q-tips growing out of the desert, something painted while under serious hallucinogenic influences, and something I initially wrote off to fatigue as I approached the drill site and the promise of a nap. Only the nest day did I find the distortions of botany I had observed were fairly accurate.

Here, a picture is worth a thousand words:

These were in the desert about, standing watch over the other flora and fauna.

The fellow I worked with was perhaps the most obnoxious of all the guys I worked with for that firm, with several personal habits which frankly were difficult at best to endure, and the tendency to aggravate those around him with the least apparent effort, so ingrained that was in his personality. Rather than mar this account with a tedious listing of his more miserable habits, suffice it to say that if I was not asleep during my off time, I preferred to be out and about, either shooting the breeze with the rig hands, the company geologist who more than compensated for her lack of stunning physique by being an incredibly pleasant person to chat and work with, or out scrounging around the desert and the nearby hills just seeing what I could see, and looking for the fossils, 'neat' rocks, or mineral specimens that are like finding money in a parking lot to the average field geologist, that turn every walk into a treasure hunt.

It was on one such sojourn I found these pieces of what looked like the corners off a white styrofoam meat tray from a grocery store, just laying in the desert, peeling an outer layer that looked for all the world like cellophane. When I looked up, I saw the Joshua Tree they had peeled from, apparently in some sort of botanical distress, was missing some of the scales that normally make up the branches. The 'foam' was the 'meat' of the leaves, the cellophane like material the skin that helped this towering xerophyte retain its fluids in a harsh environment. Local ants were making short work of a greener flake that had fallen, and I left them to their task.

While hiking over to the nearby ridge, there was something I only ever experienced once in the desert: a cloudburst. It lasted less than 20 minutes, left no trace of moisture on the surface soil past five minutes from the time it stopped, but within the hour, everything, and I do mean everything out there had come to frenzied life. The little cactus were in bloom, an incredible swarm of biota were scrambling to and fro, everything turned green, and for a few hours furtively went through its process of generating the seed for the future, then by the next day the blossoms wilted, petals dropped, and for all obvious intent, the desert returned to its normal and dormant self.

The period after the rain where moisture stayed present in detectable quantities in the air was so short that unlike the mugginess and clinging damp of lower and more humid climates, the air was again dry in short order. I think even the tiniest insects had scrounged every molecule of water from it while there was any to grab.

I continued to the ridge, an abrupt stack of rock rising from the desert, where I had seen a silvery flash the day before, and that was my goal, out of sheer curiosity, to see just what that reflection was. I knew we were somewhere on the east side of Nellis AFB, and wondered if it was some bit of debris from an unfortunate incident or merely glass, a bottle left by some erstwhile prospector. I intended to find out.

I climbed up there to find a six foot long (or so) device made of honeycombed laminate, not unlike a weather vane, apparently like the sort used on some weather balloons I have seen. Content to scrounge a couple bits of hardware as souvenirs, I sat back and took a pull off my canteen, and noticed a pair of F-16s coming down the valley. We were not supposed to have overflights, because there was an active range out there somewhere, and the Gulf War was on, and no one wanted to blow up the only real oil rig in the valley.

They passed down the far side, pretty much wingtip to wingtip, turned over east of me and came back up my side of the valley, roughly level with where I was on the ridge, which I thought was pretty neat. I waved and they waved back--neater yet. Keep in mind that at this point, I was still unaware of the designation of those buildings way off to the west, I just knew they were likely something connected with the Air Force, and really hadn't paid them much mind beyond that.

Back to the rig, and work. After action summary:

The well didn't 'make a well', we found no oil, but got to see some neat geology.

I got to find some neat fossils, especially over on the crest of the Roberts Mountains, which turns out to be very near ground zero for one of the largest known cosmic impacts in North America.

The company geologist and I stayed friends for years, but eventually lost touch.

The guy I was working with faded into obscurity when I left the company to work for another. Many of the other best hands I brought with me, one at a time as the new company I worked for expanded. 

Those buildings to the west? Yep, they were Area 51, the main hangars. Little did I know. Likely the F-16s did a loop down the valley to check me out, although I didn't see any sensors.

When we wrapped the job up, I got back in my old van and headed east to Rachel, and then looked at the sign. Las Vegas 90 (iirc). I was tired already, and home was just 1500 miles away, so I turned north and headed for home...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 04:14:28 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

rangerrebew

I think it was Louis Farrakhan's mother ship that took it, and will try to blame it on white aliens from a galaxy far, far away.  888sunglass